RSW 15 Subwoofer Schematic

Clouseau

Anyone have access to the RSW 15 schematic?  I am having issues with my subwoofer and will take it to a local speaker repair service in Ft. Worth, Texas. Trying to help them out by obtaining the schematic.  Sub clicks when it turns on and it is intermittent.  I bought it new in 2004.  Klipsch  gave me a repair shop in Holland, MI, a little far for me especially for shipping.  Any help appreciated.

I sent my amp and back plate to Edwards Electronics in Mesa, AZ a few weeks ago - sent some money along with it and got back some functioning RSW15 parts.

Mine would briefly light when powered on then nothing.

I recommend EE - they did fine by me. I have a thread "Another RSW15 bites the dust" in this forum - last updated a few days ago, that talks about my woes.

• Like 1

and this repair center does not have the initiative to find it themselves?  If all they do is repair passive speakers then they may not be much help to fix this. Do they actually know what a BASH amp is? Can they repair switching power supplies?  It took me like 5 minutes to find the service manual online. 

you are welcome...

hfe_klipsch_rsw-15_service.pdf

14 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Say it ain't so!! LOL

Mark

Yep but you have to take the driver out. it is heavy..you need a torx driver.  There are a few control and power cables that go to the amp.  If the repair center does not have the rest of the circuitry and connectors that is on the panel, they  may not be able to power it up.  

It may be only a simple intermittent connection somewhere and not the amp circuitry itself. 

4 minutes ago, efzauner said:

Yep but you have to take the driver out. it is heavy..you need a torx driver.  There are a few control and power cables that go to the amp.  If the repair center does not have the rest of the circuitry and connectors that is on the panel, they  may not be able to power it up.  

It may be only a simple intermittent connection somewhere and not the amp circuitry itself. 

I know that, I was just messing with the MOD. I thought that common sense came with the sub cabinet and directions

Mark

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, Clouseau said:

Klipsch  gave me a repair shop in Holland, MI, a little far for me especially for shipping.

12 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I was just messing with the MOD. I thought that common sense came with the sub cabinet and directions

Sounded like he was thinking about sending the whole thing.  I've never been afraid to state the obvious.;)

Thanks to all the comments and to efzauner for the service manual.  Yes I am aware that I can take the amp out and ship by itself.  I was trying to see if I could get it repaired/looked at locally (DFW, Texas area) before I have to take the amp out and ship.  Considering Edwards Electronics.  Hoping I can get it back to working order and not have to invest in a new sub.  From all of the above discussion and comments, I presume the issue is with the amp from what it is doing???

21 hours ago, Clouseau said:

Thanks to all the comments and to efzauner for the service manual.  Yes I am aware that I can take the amp out and ship by itself.  I was trying to see if I could get it repaired/looked at locally (DFW, Texas area) before I have to take the amp out and ship.  Considering Edwards Electronics.  Hoping I can get it back to working order and not have to invest in a new sub.  From all of the above discussion and comments, I presume the issue is with the amp from what it is doing???

click on turn on and intermittent.  Does not say much  How intermittent? Working most of the time? Turns off at high signal levels? There are several active preamp, filter and over power protection circuits that are before the power amp module. The power amp module is the power supply and the amp combined.  So without more info it is impossible to say. A bash amp is similar to the Carver Magnetic Field amps. They work by having a pulse width modulated power supply follow the input signal so that the standard A/B mode power amp does less work. The switching circuitry is complex. So trouble shooting could be as simple as finding and replacing some defective transistors or could be much more involved.  

I am an electrical engineer. I have built both audio power amps and preamps, and switching power supplies. I recently purchased an RSW15 dirt cheap with a defective amp. I have the thing running with an external amp, and will eventually attempt a repair. Considering that you can get an external amp like a Beringer I Nuke for a couple hundred bucks makes spending lots of $ on a repair kinda questionable. 

Thanks for the reply.  I have now determined that the clicking was from the external amp driving 2 other speakers when it turns off and on, and not the RSW 15.  7.1.4 system.  The amp sits next to the RSW 15 so I thought it was coming from the RSW 15.  Listening to the sub now I think that it is bottoming out/clipping, I don't know which is the correct term.  I listen at the back of the RSW 15 and watch the cone moving back and forth and it sometimes (during loud bass such as cannon fire in Master and Commander, pops, not every time.  The Denon X4200 volume is set at 80, the subwoofer is set at -2.5db in the test tone and bass menu. I am considering re-running Audyssey in the Denon.  Again the RSW 15 is 12 years old.  So my next thought is the coil is bad or is "bottoming out" during loud bass portions of movies.  All my movies are Blu-ray.  So I am thinking the amp is still good. I noticed this just starting about 2 weeks ago. Any suggestions or am I on the right track?

Well I think I have solved my own problem. I re-ran Audyssey on the Denon X4200.  I set the Sub to 70dB (per the 4200) and let Audyssey set the room corrections.  All crossovers are set at 80dB and when everything was completed, using all 8 positions on Audyssey, everything has corrected.  I presume I was running the RSW 15 with the volume/gain set way too high which was causing the clipping/distortion at certain times during movies (initial cannon fire in Master and Commander, depth charge scene in U-571, initial scene in Saving Private Ryan).  Now I hear the RSW-15 and there is no issues as there was before.  During normal TV watching, I have run an SPL meter and it indicates 50-55 dB and will peak to 70-75dB during loud scenes.  The next thing I am going to do is try and move the 15 to different locations and re-run Audyssey and see if I can obtain more bass.  Right now the 15 is between my mains.  I am limited as to where I can put it due to kitchen entrance on left side of room and front entry on right side of room.  I also have a slanted ceiling, 8' to 21' at the top of the fireplace, which makes for interesting (not the best) room corrections.  But I have to live with that or try and convince the wife to change the game room to a home theater room, won't happen!! Thanks for everyone's help with my dilemma. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about all of this but I learned from you guys.  Any other comments appreciated.

OK, the RSW 15 started the popping/clipping/rattling again.  So I purchased the repair from the Edwards Electronics and the amp and back control panel are on their way to Mesa.  When I opened up the sub, it smelled like something was burnt.  So I am leaning towards a bad amp.  As someone else said, Klipsch uses adhesive strips to attach the back control panel to the wood of the back of the sub.  That was the worse part of getting the sub apart.  Any recommendations on whether I need to use an adhesive before I re-attach the back panel, if so, is there an adhesive recommendation???  Parts left DFW, Texas yesterday and delivery is scheduled for Thursday via FEDEX, pretty quick.  I am crossing my fingers to get it back before Christmas.  Been communicating with Edwards Electronics via messaging, they have been very good so far.  Will update with additional information later!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Sent the amp and back control panel off to Edwards Electronics on Monday, December 5, got it back yesterday, January 4.  Installed the repaired amp, fired up the RSW 15 and its works great.  Guess it was the amp all along. So thanks for all the comments and I am now back in business.  I also purchased a second subwoofer, so I will see how they work together, waiting on a new subwoofer cable.

there are plenty of screws to hold the control panel down, I am more concerned with vibrations. Instead of the double sided foam tape you could try some caulking. The temporary window caulking that is designed to be removed in spring comes to mind. i use this stuff on woofers too. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Seal-N-Peel-10-1-oz-Removable-Weatherstrip-Caulk-18351/100140056