Heresy 3 cabinet repair

usawake

Would like to restore (or replace) my Klipsch Heresy 3 cabinet to pristine condition.

Can anyone suggest a Klipsch cabinet repair shop to do so? Klipsch suppprt couldn't

give me any pointers and even said that Klipsch doesn't do cabinet repair or replacement

work for their products! The leading edge of the cabinet bumped against the sharp plastic side

edge of the flat screen TV next to it and I subsequently tried to "repair" it using a petroleum based

furniture polish applied with a small cotton cloth and polishing by hand. (As you can plainly see, I'm

fanatical about the condition of my precious Heresy 3's!)

20160617_191247n.jpg

20160617_191347n.jpg

20161026_072910n.jpg

20161026_073012n.jpg

Edited by usawake
insert images

I see a little scuff but that's it. No need to replace the cabinet!

It looks like the polish you used may have darkened the damaged area a little making it stand out.  

If the TV actually did scratch/gouge the veneer it could be replaced but matching the veneer color and grain exactly will probably be impossible. 

Not sure if the Heresy III's have oiled cabinets but if they do some Watco Rejuvenating Oil might help to make the damaged area look better.

I wouldn't think filling the damaged area in with wood putty, etc. would be wise either since it and/or any stain you would use probably wouldn't match right.

Best thing might be to just leave it be!

I wish my Heresy's cabinets were that nice but mine are I's not III's.

You're probably right! A wood worker in town said pretty much the same thing and we both came to the same conclusion; namely sell both asap so as to get what you paid for them (I've already gotten some serious inquiries) then buy another pair in perfect condition and just don't make the same mistake again. (i.e. don't put them near any sharp surfaces) The wood worker also said to NEVER use oil based polish! If you use anything (and their opinion it's best not to use anything) it should be a special wax base polish.

3 hours ago, usawake said:

You're probably right! A wood worker in town said pretty much the same thing and we both came to the same conclusion; namely sell both asap so as to get what you paid for them (I've already gotten some serious inquiries) then buy another pair in perfect condition and just don't make the same mistake again. (i.e. don't put them near any sharp surfaces) 

Well, that is an option. Didn't really think about that one! 

As far as treating the cabinets,  if they came from the factory with the oiled finish (that needs to be determined) then Watco Rejuvenating Oil should be applied periodically (how often would be good to determine also) to keep the cabinets from drying out.  

Looks like I've found a nice little group of Klipsch family members here. I've been a Klipsch man for almost 35 years and I'm still knocked off my feet with how they sound. They seem to make any amplifier they're hooked up to sound nice. However, what amplifier would someone here recommend to get the best sound from them? (A truly dedicated audiophile in town said a Heed amp is the perfect match in his opinion. It's designed to sound like a tube amp - but without tube amp hassles.) (i.e. changing tubes every 2 or 3 years for example.)

42 minutes ago, usawake said:

Looks like I've found a nice little group of Klipsch family members here. I've been a Klipsch man for almost 35 years and I'm still knocked off my feet with how they sound. They seem to make any amplifier they're hooked up to sound nice. However, what amplifier would someone here recommend to get the best sound from them? 

I recently came across this group and it's great. It really is like a family!

The "Solid State" and "2-Channel Audio" forums have some great info on what receivers and amps go well with Klipsch speakers.

Well of course there's always the other forums. But I'll probably find a whole slew of opinions covering all the various speakers. I'm only interested in Heresy for now and the only reason why I say for now is because I can't yet afford a pair of Klipschorns (always my ultimate dream)! My liking for Klipsch goes back long before they produced all these new junk speakers that pollute the Klipsch name. It's Klipsch Heritage selection all the way for me and nothing else! Likewise, things have changed a lot since I was last seriously into audio. Back in the late 70's to early 80's it catch word was SONY, especially for the 50 to 100 watt range, and SONY tape heads were the most respected in the field if not the world! (Note that this was immediately before the "digital revolution".) And if you stuck with SONY you could never really go wrong then. Now it's a lot more complicated and much harder to navigate through the ratings and opinions to get the best from a true audiophile's perspective. But even now, there are some basic rules of thumb to go by, one being that if you want the absolute best to stay away form digital if you can. And this is why vinyl is making a resurgence with tape not far behind. To put it simply, it's the simplest and it's the best! (No DAC's or DT conv's, many of which are of questionable real quality.) Vinyl is pure unadulterated analog and tape is almost as good at half the price (and you can record of course). (Digital is ok for your Samsung galaxy or iPhone mp3 player but not much more.) I told a friend who owned some of Tower Records to be patient until these true analog media come back. Sadly he didn't and now he's starting to really regret it. Vinyl is really starting to come back now - and with a vengeance!

Edited by usawake

"Well of course there's always the other forums. But I'll probably find a whole slew of opinions covering all the various speakers."

I believe mea2112 meant the sub forums here on Klipsch. There is a two channel, ss, and tube section.

We are family here and can argue like it too. I have black lacquer Heresy II speakers, love them. Got them as a gift, used. Been moved and they are showing some dings. Some day I will get them refinished. Yours look great!

Welcome to the forums...

Bruce

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:41 PM, Ceptorman said:

Welcome usawake and mea2112 (Rush fan?)

Don't discount everything Klipsch makes except the Heritage line just yet, they make quite a few other speakers that have quite a following. 

I'm no longer a seasoned audiophile like I once was. But I know a serious audio man in town who owns a very serious audio shop. Klipsch is not his speaker brand of personal choice (and even stated to me that in his opinion the Heresy "wasn't put together right"). However, may I add that even he said that in his opinion the Klipschorn is still the best speaker in the world! It's only drawback (if you wanna call it that) is it requires lots of space for the best performance. When it comes to Klipsch he said, anything outside of the Heritage selection he doesn't even bother selling in his shop. (By the way, I found this new image online and would like it to be my profile image next to my account name but can't see how to do so in my account settings. Any suggestions from anyone on how to set it as my new profile image??)

HERESY.jpg

Edited by usawake

• 2 weeks later...