Klipsch Comparison Map w/prices

mattSER

Update: added a bookshelf map. It's much more detailed. Working on updating the floorstanding map.

Since so many people are confused at how the Klipsch models compare, I started working on a map. It shows all the models from all the different series roughly arranged on a color-coded chart based on performance and size. 

This is for floorstanding, consumer models only. I haven't heard all these models, but I have heard a lot of them and lined them up to the best of my knowledge. 

What do you think? Any adjustments?

klipsch book.png

Klipsch Map 2.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mattSER said:

What do you think? Any adjustments?

I think it's a good start. Didn't they make one in the Heritage series called Belle? :P

Adding the color to show performance will have people who disagree (look at the ongoing difference of opinion of the Chorus II vs Cornwall or Chorus II vs KLF30, or KLF30 vs CF4, or...).

IMHO:

CF4 & KLF30 would not be on the same line as the LS, or even the belle (both the Epic and Legends all need to drop down)

Quartet (though I've never owned them) will be above the Heresy

KG4 doesn't need to pick a fight with the Heresy

KG5.5 and the Heresy might be on equal levels, but so different that I doubt that they could be AB together. 

CF3 and Chorus II...nope

Trying to show performance is the tricky part. Some will have better sound while other will have more sound, just like some will have more bass while others might have tighter bass. It will be great as others chime in on this to have a spredsheet to see how the voting goes.

• Like 1

I think you can combine the areas things such as cornwall and RF7 into one total offering even though the model generations are slightly different... also, where is the belle?

I am not sure I would personally begin the epic and legend series at the orange level... MAYBE the green level... maybe lower.

I do like the idea of a heat map... but the colors need to be adjusted so they reflect a smoother transition.

Nice work sir... you have way to much time on your hands. :)

• Like 5

I like the chart, especially for those less familiar with the history of Klipsch products.  It shows the relative sound quality of each product.

I can see where Klipsch experts, those who have owned or heard many or most of these speakers might disagree.  For instance most of you would move the Epic speakers downward.  I have owned Khorn, La Scala and CF-4 and I put my (modded) CF-4's at the top of the list.  No big deal, IMO it is personal preference and greatly influenced by the type of electronics driving them.

The CF-1 and CF-2 are not listed.  (Edit:  Yes they are) Even though the CF-3 and CF-4 enjoy stellar reputations, not so much for the CF-1/2.  So you would really have to separate them by color in the chart if one was being completely accurate.

The best chart would show a range instead of a fixed point so the relative and overlapping values could be shown.  Again, IMO I like the chart as-is because it does NOT get into those nuances.

• Like 2

Good list! You either need to add about 30 more colors or put a disclaimer: "Your results may vary"! With a list like this (which I am sure will be tweaked) you can get started AND plan your next move. The key is to listen to them (preferably in YOUR home with YOUR components with YOUR ears)! Then keep buying until you have tried them all.

Nice work!

• Like 3

I think you made some good adjustments, Matt.  It would certainly get a newbie into a 90% safe bet if they had no personal experience with Klipsch and had only your chart to go by.

+++

If you think about it you might want to come up with some meaningful Tags for search purposes.  I think so much great information is lost on this forum because the search engine is hard to use to pinpoint information.  As an example try searching on "Scala" and see if it doesn't return more than 13,000 replies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IbizaFlame said:

Are you basing that each color level has the same SQ, Bass, High's, Mid's?  Do the colors have equal meaning for quality?

What about the Belle, and Tangent line?  

Just curious.

I think sound quality is very objective, so it's more or less based on size and reputation. 

And, like most people, I forgot about the Tangent series. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Word on the street is that Dave (WVU80) has a spreadsheet tracking selling prices. Can you two get together and merge your spreadsheets to give us a "bang for the buck" listing?

The problem you run into is that some of these speaker models have had a 70 year run!  For instance a single category for Klipschorn simply isn't descriptive enough.  You could separate them by decades, eras, crossover Types, but that is a lot of work and to me is a bit confusing.  Does anybody know for sure when the Type A began and the Type AA (same era) stopped?  I don't.

A am happy to share my information with whoever wants it.  I could print some averages that I have collected but there is so much "it depends" (condition, location, etc) it is better to send the entire spreadsheet so you can read my notes and decide for yourself what the best pricing is for your area, etc.

• Like 1

Pitted the Heresy II and the KG5.5 against each other this evening. Pleasantly surprise with both. At low volumes they seem to have very similar sensitivity. Have to give it a few days of different music before I can say. Still will say (from memory) that the KG4 isn't going to hang with the KG5.5 

• Like 2

I believe the 5.5's are a little higher insensitivity by a couple db. I would think the 5.5's would walk away from the H-II as you increased the volume. Both have their strong points and are probably about right sitting next to each other in this chart IMO.