Anyone heard of Dick Sequerra speakers?

pat_in_dfw

I have a chance to get a pair of Sequerra NFM-PRO speakers.  There is also a larger set of Sequerra speakers that appear to be a "Signature" model.  Are these decent?  Worth buying with the purpose of reselling?  I don't know if I would have room for the large ones in my listening room.  I'd have a space for the small ones of course.

I've never heard of them.  I did a cursory google search as I'm sure you did and found nice reviews on some models from ten years ago, but not the models to which you refer.  The reviews seemed complimentary.

If you were going to flip speakers I would advise you to stick to more mainstream brands more people have heard of making it easier to resell.  Buy low, sell high.

I hope you find a diamond in the rough and decide to keep them.  Good luck.

I too have never heard of these.....

I think something like these would be a "nitch" market......and unless there almost being given away I might think twice on investing in them.

Several years ago I latched onto a bunch of vitage audio gear (helping a widow sell the gear) anyway there was this set of vintage A/D/S speakers. now I've heard of ADS but this model I never heard of .....and I forget what they were. They were big and had stands built into the spesker and you could swap out crossovers....kinda cool and they were in good shape, but I really didn't like the sound. I found a place in Arizona that had parts for these and rebuilt x-overs. So I new there was some type of market for them.....

I could not get rid of these things.... CL for months....even no sale on e-bay....

I finally got a call from a guy that new them and what they were worth-(too him) he seemed to know his stuff with em.....even knew about the place in AZ. He told me he was about 3 hours away and offered me $250 them.....I said come and get em....

I had no money in them but I thought they were worth more than $250 ...... but hey after months of not selling kinda told me they were nitch market that I knew nothing about.

Good luck....

MKP :-)

As always, the proof is in the pudding.  Listen to the speakers carefully, with your type of music.  The only opinion that matters is your own.  After all, it's your coin that your spending.  (In flipping the speakers, there is usually NO interest in speakers nobody has heard of.)

Richard Sequerra is known to those of us who got started in this hobby 40+ years ago as one of the finest speaker designers in the industry. 

He manufactured two lines of consumer speakers at different times that I am familiar with.

The Pyramid Metronome was shaped like a metronome in three sections. A 14" woofer in the bottom section, an 8" 3-way in the middle section and topped by what many believe, to this day, to be one of the best ribbon tweeters ever made - the T-1.

Lots of good reviews but Pyramid eventually folded and Sequerra came out with the Sequerra speaker line. The Met 8W sub, Met 7 mini monitor and the T-9 Ribbon.

I've owned both. Still have a pair of the T-1 ribbons.

The Pyramid Metronome and the Sequerra Met 8W/Met 7/T-9 were both, when properly driven, capable of extremely good sound.

Both lines were very much in the high-end mainstream in the late 1970s/early 1980s (Pyramid) and mid 1990s (Sequerra).

I am not familiar with the models you listed or the pro line of speakers.

Agree that it would be a lot easier to flip a more well known speaker.

YMMV..... :)

20 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

The Pyramid Metronome was shaped like a metronome in three sections. A 14" woofer in the bottom section, an 8" 3-way in the middle section and topped by what many believe, to this day, to be one of the best ribbon tweeters ever made - the T-1.

Lots of good reviews but Pyramid eventually folded and Sequerra came out with the Sequerra speaker line. The Met 8W sub, Met 7 mini monitor and the T-9 Ribbon.

Pyramid?  I thought I was the only one who had heard of those.

When I was in college in 1978 there was a local speaker store in downtown Morgantown.  All the regular high quality speakers were downstairs, but upstairs was where the good stuff was.  They had a speaker called a Klipschorn which was phenomenal.  That was my first contact with Klipsch.

Then there was this pyramid looking speaker, I guess called the Pyramid (who knew?)  It was also, the best speaker I ever heard.  But I never heard of it after that and certainly I couldn't afford one.

Given the back story anybody owning one of those speakers would be getting great sound.  It would be worthwhile to pick them up to use, but to resell at a profit?  You would be ahead to pick up some Bose.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Pyramid?  I thought I was the only one who had heard of those.

When I was in college in 1978 there was a local speaker store in downtown Morgantown.  All the regular high quality speakers were downstairs, but upstairs was where the good stuff was.  They had a speaker called a Klipschorn which was phenomenal.  That was my first contact with Klipsch.

Then there was this pyramid looking speaker, I guess called the Pyramid (who knew?)  It was also, the best speaker I ever heard.  But I never heard of it after that and certainly I couldn't afford one.

Given the back story anybody owning one of those speakers would be getting great sound.  It would be worthwhile to pick them up to use, but to resell at a profit?  You would be ahead to pick up some Bose,

Glad to hear that you got to experience a pair of the Pyramid speakers. A dear friend has my old pair of Metronomes. They need to be re-foamed after all these years and are, I believe, in storage.

Absolutely agree that getting a pair of Pyramid Metronome speakers to flip would not be a good idea. The cones may need attention, the drivers may not be original, etc. and the universe of audio fanatics who know what these are is getting smaller every day.

But back in their day.......wow, what a speaker system. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Absolutely agree that getting a pair of Pyramid Metronome speakers to flip would not be a good idea. The cones may need attention, the drivers may not be original, etc. and the universe of audio fanatics who know what these are is getting smaller every day.

But back in their day.......wow, what a speaker system. :)

Totally agree.

I heard them for ten minutes a third of a century ago, but I still have their sonic signature in my head, for who knows whatever reason.

2 hours ago, sheltie dave said:

Tube, what amps would you consider driving them? I know they make a vast jump in required abilities between the Series I and the IV/Vs.

I biamped my Pyramid Metronomes with four Kenwood L-07II monoblocks.

Drove my Met stack (8W/7/T-9) full range with my Audio Research D-160 (modified to run triode wired KT-90 tubes, ~80watts/channel - but a very ballsy 80 watts/channel ;) ).

I think (this was 20 or so years ago) that my Met stack was a Series II? I'm pretty sure at least the Met 7 were Series II.

The impedance on the 8W/7/T-9 drops pretty low if you run a single amp so be careful. If you use a tube amp, make sure you have really beefy output transformers that can handle the load. My modified D-160 ran this load with ease and is the amp I still use when I set up my original series Martin-Logan CLS (drops to ~2 ohms in the highs).

If you are going to use a transistor amp, I would look for an amp that doubles the 8 ohm power ratings into 4 ohms and is stable into 2 ohm loads.

Biamping with the 8W on one amp and the 7/T-9 on a second amp certainly reduces the load on each amp.

Hope this helps. :)

Dick Sequerra is one of the original audio gurus, along with Saul Marantz. Dick is still alive, still answering his phone in Norwalk, CT last time I checked.

The NFM Pros are one of the several pairs of speakers I should have held onto. Hindsight, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing that I am the one who bought the speakers mentioned in this post. I bought both the NSM-Pro's and the Dick Sequerra Signature 1 pyramids. These are some of his earliest speakers. The pyramids are serial number 19 & 20, the midrange/tweeter boxes are serial numbers 25-26 and the NSM's are also under serial number 50. They sound fantastic. I have tried them both with solid state and tube gear and they sing.  I bought a pair of Spendor s8e's at the same auction and these are night and day better. They are very efficient though not quite on the level of my LaScala's. Still, I can blast them with my 20wpc HK A500. I don't intend to make you feel bad but these are the best audio purchase I have ever made.

10 minutes ago, Rrrinva said:

I am guessing that I am the one who bought the speakers mentioned in this post.

You don't know?  :P

+++

I don't intend to make you feel bad but these are the best audio purchase I have ever made.

The fact that you got some fantastic sounding speakers doesn't hurt my feelings.  Good job picking those upB)

I talked to the auction house and the shipping cost would be quite extensive.  Plus, THEY wouldn't pack and ship them - I would have to send someone else over to do it.  I knew a guy in the area who was about an hour drive from the auction location but even if he picked them up I still had the problem of shipping them to Texas.

I'm glad that someone else in this group ended up with them.  Given the unknown resale value I was hesitant to put up too much money for these.  I was interested in the Spendor s8e as well, but I had the same problem with shipping these also.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

I too have never heard of these.....

I think something like these would be a "nitch" market......and unless there almost being given away I might think twice on investing in them.

Several years ago I latched onto a bunch of vitage audio gear (helping a widow sell the gear) anyway there was this set of vintage A/D/S speakers. now I've heard of ADS but this model I never heard of .....and I forget what they were. They were big and had stands built into the spesker and you could swap out crossovers....kinda cool and they were in good shape, but I really didn't like the sound. I found a place in Arizona that had parts for these and rebuilt x-overs. So I new there was some type of market for them.....

I could not get rid of these things.... CL for months....even no sale on e-bay....

I finally got a call from a guy that new them and what they were worth-(too him) he seemed to know his stuff with em.....even knew about the place in AZ. He told me he was about 3 hours away and offered me $250 them.....I said come and get em....

I had no money in them but I thought they were worth more than $250 ...... but hey after months of not selling kinda told me they were nitch market that I knew nothing about.

Good luck....

MKP :-)

Those would have been the a/d/s L910's with dual 10" woofers a soft dome tweeter and midrange.  They also had provisions for power level indicators on the network that could be seen through the grill on the front motorboard.  I would have bought them from you but they would have been pricey to ship.  Still a highly desired speaker.  I use their L300's as the surrounds for my daughter's HT system a truly fantastic mini speaker with huge sound.

• Like 1