TV Opinions Wanted Needed

Scrappydue

3 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

Is that a 2.35 tv? I agree I'd buy one of those in a heart beat as well. I've thought of just buying another projector and getting a 2.35 screen upstairs like the theater lol 

No, it's a 16 x 9. I did check the internet and Panasonic has a 58" 21 x 9 but I want a 65".

JJK

3 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Changing tvs and not being able to get a full 4k signal would be a waste.  Some avrs will pass the 4k signal through even if not spec'd for it.  2 cables but you can send the signal to the avr and tv separately also.  Always a way...

There is no much out there as far as a 4K UHD signal.  However, if you have an Amazon Prime account and use their video streaming service, there are a few UHD programs and movies out there. Watching the Grand Tour ( amazon version of BBC's Top Gear with the stars from it) the UHD programming really pops. The color off Ultra Hi-Def is amazing. The Sony's Amazon And Netflix apps both handle the 4K UHD signal. I think DirectTv has some programming also, but I'm not certain.

I think Netflix costs $2 more a month for UHD programming, plus you get to use 4 devices at once. I have my sister streaming 500 miles away off my account.

I thought I would future proof my TV, for a few years anyway

^^^.   I was looking at the 4K UHD programming on Netflix. It's looks like there are about 120 programs in UHD on Netflix. On Amazon Prime, there are about 100. Some of these are free movies and recent release movies you need to pay for.

You can tell a difference in 4K UHD vs 1080p movies. The colors and definition really pops.

The issue with streaming in 4K UHD, is it looks like they are in 5.1, no Atmos soundtracks.

19 hours ago, RTR said:

Very happy with it.  No issues. Bought it to replace a Samsung which zonked out after 13 months due to an capacitor issue Samsung knew about. Out of warranty and they wouldn't do anything about it.....

If it was a well known cap issue, couldn't you find a solution on the internet somewhere?  A lot of electronic places won't do board level repair, but I bet a lot of people with soldering skills would take a crack at it.

42 minutes ago, Shodrewken said:

Like others have said, and what I believe, plasma is still king.

I thought plasma was out.  Short screen life, heat problems, high energy consumption.  I don't know what to believe.

I like to skip every other generation when buying technology, my last TV was a Panny 1080p.  How can you tell what the "next" tech breakthrough or "standard" is?  It seems like it is a constantly moving target.

28 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

If it was a well known cap issue, couldn't you find a solution on the internet somewhere?  A lot of electronic places won't do board level repair, but I bet a lot of people with soldering skills would take a crack at it.

I haven't done any soldering in 40 years and it looked like crap then. The internet talked like it was easy, but I had no confidence in my skills. I called a repair place, they wanted $150 for the job. It was a 43" and I wanted bigger anyway.

I liked the picture on the 65"Samsung when I went out shopping, but I couldn't shell out that much money on a Samsung again.  If they would have honored an issue that they knew about, I might have got a Samsung.  The picture on the Sony and the Samsung are comparable.  Now that I have it, the Sony smart tv app is much better than the Samsung.  Hopefully, I won't have any issues with the Sony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RTR said:

I called a repair place, they wanted $150 for the job. It was a 43" and I wanted bigger anyway.

That makes sense.

It seems like Samsung has had some major reliability problems with their products, lately. 

Onkyo had a reliability problem with their AVR's a few years ago with a daughter-board component that Onk knew was not up to the  proper spec.  Onk responded by extending their warranty for that problem to 2018 and gained a whole lot of good will in the process.

I'm not so sure I would want to buy a Samsung product right now.  It seems like a crap shoot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That makes sense.

It seems like Samsung has had some major reliability problems with their products, lately. 

Onkyo had a reliability problem with their AVR's a few years ago with a daughter-board component that Onk knew was not up to the  proper spec.  Onk responded by extending their warranty for that problem to 2018 and gained a whole lot of good will in the process.

I'm not so sure I would want to buy a Samsung product right now.  It seems like a crap shoot.

Right now, I would not buy a Samsung product.. if they would have fixed a known problem with the undersized capacitor, they might have been able to get a few more $$$ from me. A shame, because they do make some good looking, advanced products.

i read about the Onkyo receiver problems with the HDMI when I was in the market.  I was cautious and did not buy one of their receivers. After I bought a receiver, they started extending their warranties. I may have looked at their stuff if they would have extended their warranties sooner.

I've spent enough money on this hobby, I'm cautious and look for reliably issues before I buy anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I thought plasma was out

They are, I'm just saying that for folks that are still using plasmas. As far as their cons go, like every TV YMMV. With my Panasonic, it does run a little warm, but not enough to dissuade me from using it. Short life span, maybe, but mine is coming up on five years and its working just as well as it always has. 

15 minutes ago, davis419b said:

From what I can find Denon doesn't offer any 120hz models.

You don't need a 120 hz input to take advantage of a 120 hz TV.  The purists don't like it but a a 120 hz tv can smooth out the motion in a typical 24 fps film.  The problem is that it kind of has to guess as to what the content should look like between frames which theoretically isn't correct, but I like how the good display devices pulls this off, some do not.  Some of the 240 hz TV's are way worse with the motion blur since it is doing way more guessing.  Gaming on a 60 hz tv is horrid in my opinion.  A typical 24 fps movie doesn't even divide evenly into a 60 hz refresh rate so by default something isn't going to be right.  I'll stick with 120 hz.  

21 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

How can 120 HZ horizontal display speed smooth out low speed film judder (1-3 hz per second) ? I don't believe it. I think you are talking about 24 fps frame to frame out of focus display capability.

JJK

With the 24 fps I was talking about the 3:2 pulldown issue.  Regardless of that, I can tell a huge difference on several playstation games, especially racing games.  All it takes is to drive around a long sharp corner at high speed.  The 60 hz TV's I've seen will give you an instant headache.  

39 minutes ago, davis419b said:

So if you don't play any games 60hz is good.

Any kind of extended full-screen scenes with horizontal panning on a larger screen similar to the one below ought to have the same effect.  They do this in many movies, drives me crazy without motion blur.  A cheap 60 hz display vs. a good 120 hz one with a good motion blur function would look pretty different if the screen is pretty good sized.  A larger 60 hz TV can chop stuff like this up pretty badly.  

120hz features exist solely to combat the inherent blurriness of LCD/LED motion. 

In most applications, it detracts from the quality. It introduces artifacts around moving objects in a still backdrop, and creates an input delay for video games. It may not bother some people, but I find most of my games unplayable with 120hz or 240hz features active.

And if you don't use these features, LCDs blur like crazy with panning shots.

Just another reason why I'm jumping straight from plasma to OLED.