Are stock upgrade kits for the Klipschorn tested before being sent out?

garyrc

I understand that Klipsch speakers are tested at (or near) the end of the production process, BUT how about the components in Klipschorn stock upgrade kits?  Are the tweeters, midrange drivers, crossovers, etc., in these kits tested before they are sent out?  Was that done in 2005?  The right channel mid/high frequencies in my  Klipschorn AK4 upgrade kit (purchased in 2005) always sounded discernibly different than the left channel (but Audyssey almost entirely compensated for that).

I remember PWK saying in a brochure (c. 1960s) that the K77s had to be carefully selected from the pool of K77s provided, because of variation.  Was the same true of K77Fs in the upgrade kits available in about 2005, or are they more uniform?  Thanks.

• 2 months later...

The variations PWK was speaking of in the old K-77's was as much as +/- 3 dB on average.  At one time he was making 3 variations of the network to accommodate this gross spread.  However, that was a temporary fix until EV got their act together (a few years only?).  I can't say for sure what Klipsch was doing in 2005 (I was in Indiana), but at the very least an audible sweep test was executed for rub and buzz.  Today the components are individually tested for frequency response in addition to the audible evaluation.

• Like 1

Hi @JRH, I don't know you but you seem to know what you're talking about.  :)

I'm curious about how what the audible evaluation entails, could you comment on the process?  Does every speaker get tested, every other one, etc?  Thanks in advance for your answer.

• Like 1

Roy (Chief Bonehead) answered my question (which I also put in a PM to him).  He said:

the components are tested.  and yes they have been done since we started the kits.  have you tried swapping stuff around to see if you can isolate the problem?  the f's are quite a bit better as far as consistency is concerned.