Un-Boxing: New Amplifier in the Haus...

Schu

On 11/29/2016 at 3:32 PM, Deang said:

There's no way in hell he builds those in six hours. 

Considering how not neat the wiring looks, maybe...

I wonder how the wiring would look if Maynard built one?

I'm not dissin' the amp. Not my style, but the prices are very reasonable. They do have their own cool factor.

Bruce

• Like 1

Just caught your post Schu.... Very cool... looks awesome for sure....

I would really like in the near future to try some tube gear.... In all my years in this hobby I have yet to even listen to any tube gear:o

Even my wife comments on just how cool they look...

10 hours ago, jason str said:

99% of those who sold their La Scala's have deep regrets after the sale, myself included.

I bet they do jason.... LaScala's were my 1st klipsch speaker some 25 years ago I have no plans for them leaving. Got em used...

LaScala's would be the speaker that I would like to have the tube amp with;)

MKP :-)

• Like 1

OK,,,I guess I'm stupid. But when you go to e-bay link the amps are always sold. Do you have to wait till he has some on e-bay and time it just right to order one ?

I plan to try and sell my McIntosh amp and try to get one of his amps. I was going to buy AVR receiver  but now I think I would rather have a tube amp I think,,lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marvel said:

Considering how not neat the wiring looks, maybe...

I wonder how the witing would look if Maynard buit one?

I'm not dissin' the amp. Not my style, but the prices are very reasonable. They do have their own cool factor.

Bruce

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I can only say that my approach would be radically different.  It's interesting that you mention the lack of neatness (which is surprising as Dennis' ham equipment was generally better).  My wife, who has been very involved with my electronics work for almost 44 years, took one look at the under-chassis pics and said "it looks like a mass of spaghetti assembled by someone who was in a rush."  But, as is often the case, a lack of neatness is no reflection on the sound quality or longevity.  Question for Schu- is Dennis offering a lifetime warranty on his gear?

Maynard

• Like 1

Not sure about lifetime warranty... that subject never came up and its not part of his listing description. However, dennis seems very passionate and religious (if you get my meaning) about the relationship with his amp sales at this point in his life, so I have no doubt he would help me out if I had an issue in the future.

I am a huge fan of extremely neat aerospace level wiring layouts, but for this amp, I was more enthralled with the design aspect and hopefully the sound.

Manard... by looking at that wiring layout, can you tell anything about the design? I asked dennis for a scematic, but he said its all in his head and hes never drawn it out. For sure its single ended with input impedance of 100k and an output impedance of 1.7 ohms.

When I opened the back, I thought it actually looked pretty darn good and symmetrical for an amp that had that level of parts in its design... certainly there are far simpler designs with much less parts internally.

31118510122_315e432284_o.jpg

Edited by Schu

On 12/1/2016 at 3:27 AM, ricktate said:

OK,,,I guess I'm stupid. But when you go to e-bay link the amps are always sold. Do you have to wait till he has some on e-bay and time it just right to order one ?

I plan to try and sell my McIntosh amp and try to get one of his amps. I was going to buy AVR receiver  but now I think I would rather have a tube amp I think,,lol

That is a list of "sold" units over the recent months... just to show that he has no problem moving these. You can write to him over ebay messaging or wait unit he lists another unit for sale... I just wrote him when I got my money together.

I have a feeling that he does not want this endeavor to get to big in terms of sales... just enough. He considers all owners "family".

There is a used one (base model) for sale on audiogon:Inspire

New listing on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-INSPIRE-by-DENNIS-HAD-KT88-TUBE-SINGLE-ENDED-AMPLIFIER-/152339724636?hash=item237827b95c:g:7~kAAOSwIgNXokNy

Edit: already sold...