$200 Heresy Pair - Bloomington, MN

onemoretime

14 hours ago, Shaun K said:

I tried to buy them, was even told to come over yesterday evening...but then he started playing games and said that others were offering him more than asking price, so I told him I was no longer interested.  Seemed too good to be true I guess.

You don't need my approval but you have my respect for the way you handled that.  All of us want a good deal, none of us want the deal if the cost is the indignation of being jerked around.

• Like 2

I'm pleased to be the one who brought them home this afternoon.  It was a pair of '84 Heresy in lacquered oak (HOL) with slant risers.  Overall very good condition with a couple very minor dings.  I had replied to the ad within an hour of it being listed Sunday morning & I was concerned when I didn't hear anything until that night at which point I was told that the speakers were still available but there were also about 15 others interested.  The seller finally called Monday afternoon and the first thing she asked was if she'd badly underpriced them, so we talked a little about value.  It was clear to me that she didn't know much about what she had, and probably didn't do much research though she was the original owner.  She asked if I'd pay more, so I asked how much and she said $250, so I countered with $225 which we settled on.  I didn't feel like she was jerking me around, more that she was surprised by the amount of interest and having second thoughts about her asking price.  I know I'm happy and I think she was satisfied with the deal as well.  First time I've had a craigslist price go up though! 

--Larry

• Like 1

On 11/29/2016 at 10:02 PM, Larry Fahnoe said:

I'm pleased to be the one who brought them home this afternoon.  It was a pair of '84 Heresy in lacquered oak (HOL) with slant risers.  Overall very good condition with a couple very minor dings.  I had replied to the ad within an hour of it being listed Sunday morning & I was concerned when I didn't hear anything until that night at which point I was told that the speakers were still available but there were also about 15 others interested.  The seller finally called Monday afternoon and the first thing she asked was if she'd badly underpriced them, so we talked a little about value.  It was clear to me that she didn't know much about what she had, and probably didn't do much research though she was the original owner.  She asked if I'd pay more, so I asked how much and she said $250, so I countered with $225 which we settled on.  I didn't feel like she was jerking me around, more that she was surprised by the amount of interest and having second thoughts about her asking price.  I know I'm happy and I think she was satisfied with the deal as well.  First time I've had a craigslist price go up though! 

--Larry

I replied to the ad very early on Sunday as well.  I didn't hear back all day and assumed they were sold, but late in the afternoon I heard back from the seller that they were free for the next 2 hours and I could come over right away.  I asked for the address and 10 minutes later I got the reply about "15 other buyers" and that someone was offering $300.  I don't argue that $300 is still a good deal but I didn't have time to play games, so I said I would pass.  Congrats on getting them though, they looked clean and were considerably cheaper than the ratty Heresy's I just bought last month.

Congratulations Larry.

It was good of you to reach a bargain above the original advertised price, although, IMO, you had a legal right to accept the offer by paying the advertised price.

IMO, an uninformed seller in a situation like this has a legal and ethical right to accept higher offers, unless someone shows up with cash for the full amount of the advertised, offered, price. At that point, the offer has been accepted. Nothing short of paying the offered price is an acceptance.

Claiming dibs is not an acceptance.  Saying your cousin wants the deal is not an acceptance.  Saying you accept is not an acceptance until you pay the money.   A seller might allow the first person to "accept" the offer a reasonable time to consummate the deal, but doing do so without at least a deposit (preferably non-refundable) would be naive.

Until the original offer is accepted, it may be withdrawn.  There is a difference between legal rights and moral obligations.  In this case, it appears both were honored.

Of course, the above is subject to all sorts of weasel words lawyers insert in contracts.  IMO, if it comes to that, you're dealing with the wrong people.  Contracts are road maps to litigation; only lawyers benefit from litigation.