Faital Pro HF206 on K510

Stevenarrow

Hello,

I've been breaking in a new Faital Pro HF206 on a K510. So far, my experience has been excellent. The driver is crossed around 1000Hz, but should go a lot lower. I am running it in my Altec Valencia cabs. -- I received the following info from the manufacturer regarding this new driver when asked about how it compares to the 204 and the 200:

The HF204 and HF206 are exactly the 2" versions of the HF144 and HF146 respectively.

The difference is in the air gap's geometry and treatment. Basically we reduced the volume of the air gap (so under the diaphragm) and added absorbent material. The end result is visible in the response curve in the mid-high freqs. It has a flatter (less rising) response above 1.5 kHz.

While for the difference between the Titanium 3" VC and the Ketone Polymer 2.5" please know that the differences go beyond just the material because they are indeed two mechanically different compression drivers. 

The HF200 has a bigger VC hence a bigger volume under the Diaphragm in the air gap. The phase plug is a 3 slot phase plug and the titanium diaphragm is one piece with the surround so it may result in a slightly more nervous higher frequency but also more efficient because of its higher reactivity than polymers.

On the other hand the HF204/206 have a 2.5" VC with a whole ketone polymer diaphragm and a 4 slot phase plug. This all together gives these compression drivers a smoother and more linear response throughout and up to the very high frequencies. In the higher fequencies the "sound" may result smoother than the titanium. One final word on Ketone Polymer, it is a very peculiar material because it is a polymer which is loaded with mineral while being sheeted. This allows it to retain the polymer's elasticity but it also gives it a higher rigidity and capability to withstand heat better than other polymers used in these applications. Therefore we consider it to be the best compromise between commonly used polymers lime Mylar and metals like aluminum and titanium.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That 500 Hz thing is probably boundary dip: 1/4 wavelength at 500 Hz is 6-7 inches-which is likely the height of the microphone off the floor, or the distance from the K-510 mouth to the front or side wall.

Chris

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

How does the knob control the output of two autoformers?

Dean, I figured you might be the guy with the best guess on that.

I have tried to reason it out using common sense, but I don't have a clue. 

I thought the Valencia was a two way - so I can't even figure out why the network has two autoformers. One of those might be a low pass coil - but I don't understand the wiring scheme. Hey, I just build the stupid things - never claimed to understand them.  

The 500Hz issue is mostly physical. The horn is on top of the cabinet: quite far from the woofer. Its just loosely placed up there for now. The dial allows a slight adjustment of starting point for the high range. The terminal strip on the lower right sets output volume.

• 4 years later...