Klipsch Klipschorn Floorstanding Speakers

JCFox

My husband was a huge fan of Klipsch speakers.  He passed away suddenly this past January at the age of 59.  He had (and now I have) a pair of Klipsch Klipschorn Floorstanding Speakers that he has had since the 70's.  We have moved those enormous speakers many, many times in our 25 years of marriage.  He absolutely LOVED these speakers.  Well I have to part with them (I live in an RV and am renting out our house) and need help selling them.  I have no idea about pricing them except what I have seen on eBay and Amazon.  They are in very good condition.  I also have no idea where to market them.  I live in Austin, TX and would prefer local pick up due to their weight.  Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear about your husband's passing first of all. This forum is a good place to start.Plenty of forum goers that appreciate the crown jewels. Obviously you won't be shipping them so local pick up only. I would say maybe try USaudiomart.com and Audiogon.com along with your local Craigslist. They will appeal to a lot of tire kickers but since they are way too difficult to ship and anyone familiar with them will know that, hopefully you get some serious offers in short order. The guys in here are probably able to steer you towards pricing for them based on the condition. If you have any pictures you can upload for people to view that would help!

Tim

• Like 1

My condolences. There are several of us just a few hours away and always looking for Klipsch. Please upload some photos of front, tops, side and the electronic crossover in the back and also the paper stickers if still in place which will identify the wood choice.

• Like 1

Welcome JC and sorry for all that you're going through.

You really have came to the right place in that we can help, and picture will help us help you. There are a few conditions that make variables in the price.... 

Condition

how quickly they need to be sold

time of year

etc

If they are in great condition and you're not in a hurry, then the will bring more money.

Just so you know, the information requested by USNRET is to help us identify the model. the type of finish and the year they were built,a s well as overall condition.  This will help us to tell you the right price to ask for them.

So sorry about your loss, but I'm glad you both shared music together on those fabulous speakers.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Yes we did enjoy many years of music on those speakers!  These are the only pictures I have right now.  I can get better ones by this weekend as I move things around to get to them.  And this is only one - I have two!

He loved these speakers so much that back in 1994, when we had a house built, he had the builder move a window over to accommodate the wall space needed!

Klipschlabel2.JPG

back2.JPG

Front2.JPG

speakerwires2.JPG

That sounds right, opusk2k9!  I remember him saying they are birch (I know nothing about different wood except I know oak) - and the timing would be right because I don't think he bought them brand new and I believe he bought them in the 70's!

Ms Fox, terribly sorry for your loss.  I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet him on this forum, it sounds like he would have fit in here just fine.

+++

We can get pretty close to evaluating what your speakers are worth.  When we get closer to our estimate, do you want the price or price range named publicly, or would you prefer a Private Message?

+++

Can you confirm for me something I can't quite make out?  It helps to set price and to establish the date of manufacture.  On the back of the speaker there is a board with some wires going to it and then running to the speaker drivers.  You have a picture of it above, but the picture is just a bit blurry and I don't want to guess.  There are some red letters on the right of the board, and I think it says Type "AA."  Can you confirm that, or tell me what the two letters are?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, opusk2k9 said:

birch finish.  Looks like they are from 1965 (if that is a D in the serial).

Opus, can you look again for me?  If they were "P" that would make them 1976.  That would match up better with the Type AA crossover I think I see in the pics.

I'd like someone to see if they can make out the XO type.  I see it as AA, but the pic is a bit blurry for me to be sure.

I would say post them on here for sale with pictures first. The guys here are the ones who will drive to you and you can check that they are trust worthy. 1976 K-horns are still young...lol. Mine are 1972.

Don't let some one talk you out of them before you decide on what price you want unless you have a son or daughter that would want them.

The price should be discussed in private message I think till you decide for sure.

I would hope when I'm gone the guys help my wife but I have 3 sons so doubt that will be a problem.

My condolences to you and your family.

• Like 3

Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome!!!  Yes, Randy would have loved talking with everyone here about his beloved speakers and his love of music!!   I didn't quite "get it"!  

I have four boys - out of the 4, two are musicians - but none of them have the place for them!  They are heartbroken someone can't keep them in the family!  But I want them to go to someone who will enjoy them and appreciate them!

I'm sorry I didn't see your questions earlier, but glad you answered them yourselves.  I received this today as a response to an email I sent to Reverb.com:  

"Phil C. from Reverb here. Thank you for sharing your speakers with us! These are some very cool hifi speakers you have. They have been making some anniversary models of these speakers that are selling for anywhere between $10,000.00 - $16,000.00 a pair. However, for these vintage speakers, if they are working correctly, you could probably sell the pair for around $3,500.00 - $6,000.00."

The speakers are absolutely working correctly!!  This is his opinion.  So I guess I'm learning more and getting closer to figuring this out.  Thank you so much!  Let me know if anyone is interested and we can talk price.    Yes private message me your prices you think I should ask.  Also how do I post something for sale?

It's late tonight so perhaps we can chat more tomorrow as we get closer to what the speakers will realistically sell for.  They are desirable not just by collectors, but by music lovers who will play them every day.

They are worth some money but not nearly as much as reverb.com says they are.  I own Khorns and I track the sales of Khorns across the country, so I will give you actual selling prices, and in what areas they tend to sell the best.  You live in Austin which makes it easier to sell the speakers, as opposed to a place where they are not as common and hard to sell, like my home state of West Virginia.

Phil C. said new ones cost $10,000 to $16,000 a pair but that is what people trying to oversell speakers on the internet say.  It has nothing to do with the value of your speakers.  His valuation is off by about double.

We'll get you some realistic numbers to get you a sale within 2-4 weeks (max money) and we will help you in taking pictures which will help buyers decide they want your speakers.

• Like 1

You also have to take into account your husbands need the crossovers rebuilt because they have the original capacitors. Those capacitors are at the end of their life and need replacing.

That model style -C was second to the bottom of the price list when it was sold new . The BR on label means Birch Raw. So the price is going to reflect that also.

20120905_0001_9.jpgThis is price list from 1977 hope this helps. Condition is the most deciding factor in the price. But the older ones are more sought after I think. Your husband paid close to this price for them. I'm sure some forum members are wanting these so just take your time. We have over 20,000 members here probably 4000 really active members.

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

It's late tonight so perhaps we can chat more tomorrow as we get closer to what the speakers will realistically sell for.  They are desirable not just by collectors, but by music lovers who will play them every day.

They are worth some money but not nearly as much as reverb.com says they are.  I own Khorns and I track the sales of Khorns across the country, so I will give you actual selling prices, and in what areas they tend to sell the best.  You live in Austin which makes it easier to sell the speakers, as opposed to a place where they are not as common and hard to sell, like my home state of West Virginia.

Phil C. said new ones cost $10,000 to $16,000 a pair but that is what people trying to oversell speakers on the internet say.  It has nothing to do with the value of your speakers.  His valuation is off by about double.

We'll get you some realistic numbers to get you a sale within 2-4 weeks (max money) and we will help you in taking pictures which will help buyers decide they want your speakers.

3 hours ago, ricktate said:

You also have to take into account your husbands need the crossovers rebuilt because they have the original capacitors. Those capacitors are at the end of their life and need replacing.

That model style -C was second to the bottom of the price list when it was sold new . The BR on label means Birch Raw. So the price is going to reflect that also.

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

The realistic prices I have seen are from $2000 to $3000 for old K-horns. Naturally you will hear of some selling for more and some a less depending on how bad someone wants a pair at a certain period of time. Not bad recouping your original price many years later for any product. Unheard of with most commercial speakers that depreciate to almost nothing. Condition and appearance is a driving point. The exotic wood ones are the ones that command a premium price. Yours appear to be a nice example and you should have no problem selling them quickly at a realistic price. I believe you will find someone that visits this forum who would be proud to purchase them for a fair and reasonable price for both you and them. It has happened many times for a nice pair of K-horns. 

You guys are awesome!

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Good luck JC