Infos about 93' La Scala

heavyP

hi happy Klipschers! i'm  french and maybe about to join the K-community, as there's a nice pair of early 90's LS (93 if i checked my codes well) that is reaaaally tempting not too far from home!

i've always found the LS quite fascinating, though never heard any... i come from vintage Tannoy and, hum - Altec19 territories, but don't hold it against me please. both are gone, due to life changes and maybe it's the right time for a Scala life.

lately i've read a lot about LS ups and downs ( bass issues, etc) which just seem to comfort my choice. ;-) as i will be able to put them in real corners

the pair hold K55M-K77M and AL-3 crossovers. 2nd owner (for 10 years) seemed to use them on active mode. from what i gathered here AL3 isn't held in much praise. i'm sure if i really like what i hear you guys will be of best advice to upgrade it. i'm going to hear them pretty soon, bringing my own amp to get me an idea though i know it will be very different from my own listening room.

i just wanted to submit you a pic of the x-over and horn , just to check if it looks 100% kosher to you. so feel free to comment- thanks in advance

k55.jpg

Personally, I would not alter the AL-3 networks in any way.  After listening to them for months as they are, if you are less than pleased, you could swap out the AL-3 networks.  I would keep them unmolested to make possible resale less problematic.

I would substitute FRESH A or AA networks.  The path of least resistance would be to buy a pair from Bob Crites.  With those in place you could decide if La Scalas are for you.  Only then would I suggest embarking down the slippery slope of boutique crossover networks, bass bin modifications, subwoofers, etc.

If you decide you don't fancy La Scalas, even with fresh non-AL-3 networks, you should be able to easily sell the AL-3 La Scalas and a fresh pair of Crites networks. 

Feel free to send a PM if you want to speak about La Scala strengths and weaknesses.  We can exchange phone numbers.  I'm in the USA Eastern time zone, which is 5 hours behind UTC.

Thanks Diz for your insight and advice. i will definitely start by listening to them first. if something sounds weird to me, we'll see. my listening session/pick-up trip is set for next thursday, so there's a lot of anticipation on my side. and the pleasure to share and meet klipsch fans here just adds to the excitment.  it's always like that with classic speakers. i drove more than a thousand miles to pick-up my former altec 19, it was quite a trip! and they almost couldn't fit in the damn car... this time  i have a huge vehicle and the LS are smaller

La Scala had been on my radar early on but seemed out of reach. then i upgraded slowly, been here (altec, tannoy) and there (modern toys like eclipse, Horns fp10 and mummies by Audio-Tech), LS seem like a logical step in my musical journey but as audio wisdom says: "Accuracy of reproduction is determined by how well a sound system models someone’s warped set of preconceived notions." ;-)

I'm backing the AL-3's as well. Mine are still original and sound fine to me. I have no issues with base, however my Yamaha amp has a continuos loudness feature that let's me essentially roll the low end with the volume. I'm very happy with my La Scala's and I think you will be too. Happy listening!

We had Altec Valencia's when i was growing up, lots of other Altec stuff on the block as well along with 2 others with Heresy's. Making the change over to Klipsch was an easy choice.

Altec mids may be a bit better at certain frequencies but the lack of lows and highs got old very quickly, there was bass but you throw a bit of power at them and the cone was easily bottomed out leaving you wanting more.

I have heard most Klipsch crossovers with the La Scala and one center with ALK though i forget witch one, my least favorite was the AL though not applicable here.

What i find with worn out capacitors is you never get a true sense of stereo and wavering sound from one speaker to the other and you never know its there until you hear it without the problem and is why i recommended replacement.

On 11/29/2016 at 6:01 AM, heavyP said:

the pair hold K55M-K77M and AL-3 crossovers.. so feel free to comment- thanks in advance

k55.jpg4150

M   = mud slurry magnet              PASS     The plywood box can be  made new for   Less than $150     The crossover  AL  are barf.