Infos about 93' La Scala

heavyP

On 11/29/2016 at 6:01 AM, heavyP said:

the pair hold K55M-K77M and AL-3 crossovers. 2nd owner (for 10 years) seemed to use them on active mode. from what i gathered here AL3 isn't held in much praise

NOT TRUE about the Type AL-3 crossover.  It is a fine crossover and I would not swap it out for a Type A or AA.  Use the crossover that was designed for it.  Others have commented the same thing in this thread and I agree with them.

The Type AL is the one that is not in favor.  It has little in common with the AL-3.

Thanks for the update. Whatever xperts think or x-over type, what matters most to me right now is That i really like what i hear for the last 3 hours... I'm playing With placement but this speaker Seems to be quite easygoing. Former Owner has put spikes underneath.

im thinking of getting rid of them...

• 4 weeks later...

the La Scala have been there for a month now and driven by Heathkits MA-12 EL84 monoblocks, they're the most natural, easy and addictive speakers played at home. Rest of the set up includes Braun pcs5 turntable with Acutex 312 str, Graham Ingle V-fet phono preamp, Marantz mcr610 (cdp, analog /digital tuner, network/Qnap NAS), Mogami interconnects/speaker cables.

scala3.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

it's been a while since i browsed over here. to tell you the truth, the La Scala totally fulfill my addiction to music and  finally put me at peace with the whole audiophile nonsense quest.

i may sometimes get excited about some new/old gear but these speakers have the power to re-center my dedication to music. after some listening i ask myself: what else or more do you imagine you can expect?  a few friends (with some background and equipment) came over and just... faced the music. what struck them most was the easyness, natural and involvment the LS convey.

what bugs me is i have an opportunity to hear and maybe acquire early 80's KHorns and i'm between a rock and hard place: stay happy with the LS or take the risk of KH...

i'll keep you posted ASAP. all the best to klipsch and music lovers ;-)

• Like 2

I brought home a pair of 1996 LaScalas April 13th. You are right, mine also fulfill my musical needs. I like the sound of mine so much that I have no plans on modifying them. I am afraid to change anything on my system and lose the sound I have now. I am lucky that my room only has one corner where a KHorn would work, so KHorns are out of the question for me.

2 hours ago, heavyP said:

what bugs me is i have an opportunity to hear and maybe acquire early 80's KHorns and i'm between a rock and hard place: stay happy with the LS or take the risk of KH...

What kind of condition are the Khorns in, and what price?

Loved my previous pair of LS powered  by my 2A3 amps. Simply mezmerizing and totally addictive. Wish I had never sold them and hope the beater pair I'm refurbing end up sounding as good once I have them back together.

Bruce

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

What kind of condition are the Khorns in, and what price?

well, i'm waiting for new pics and list of components. except for a few dents on the bottom they seem pretty nice. asking price is 3,5K€. 

they're about a 2:30 drive. considering they might be my last and ultimate speakers ;-) i think it's worth it. what do you think? if i got my numbers well they're 1981. so is it alnico or not? thanks for our insight ;-D

KH1.jpg

kh2.jpg

kh3.jpg

kh4.jpg

Not sure about prices in France but you will need to put in new capacitors. Probably a good price over there I have seen better ones in US for less but your selection in France may be limited.

If all drivers work go for it. Take a pillow with you to cover up mid horn so you can tell if tweeter is working.

5 hours ago, heavyP said:

well, i'm waiting for new pics and list of components. except for a few dents on the bottom they seem pretty nice. asking price is 3,5K€. 

they're about a 2:30 drive. considering they might be my last and ultimate speakers ;-) i think it's worth it. what do you think? if i got my numbers well they're 1981. so is it alnico or not? thanks for our insight ;-D

OK, 3500 Euros translates into $3842 USD.  Those particular ones look sensational.  They look to be in great shape for their age and well cared for.

Road Trip:  Any of us here would be happy to make a 2 hour 30 minute drive to pick up those beautiful speakers!  That is how far I drove to pick up my 1978 Khorns.  Before you go, get back to us.  There are some specific suggestions we can make on how to transport them.  They weigh 79 Kg each!

Price:  There are a good supply of used Khorns in the US and I realize there are fewer Khorns in Europe.  Some Khorns in the US in excellent condition can sell for $3000 or more.  Yours are priced a little high compared to the US, but probably within reason for their condition and scarcity.  Even if you didn't like them you could sell them for close to the amount you bought them, so there is low risk in getting them.

Drivers: 

Tweeter is a K-77, standard for many years but it is fragile.  It is not Alinco which has the square magnet.  This is not a big deal as the standard K-77 sounds fine.  It can be blown so that would be something to check.  While music is playing, take a towel and cover up the mid driver sound, try to listen to see if there is sound coming out of the tweeter.  It either works or it doesn't, so if you hear sound it is probably OK.  It won't sound like a speaker, it will make sound only in the high end, so don't expect it to sound "good," it's not supposed to.  Replacements are easily found for $100 USD if needed.

Mid Range:  The squawker is a K-55-V.  Again, a standard that was used for many years by Klipsch.  It has a great sound and they rarely go bad.  If they do, diaphragms and complete replacements are easy to find for about $100 usd.

Woofer:  K-33, these are robust and rarely fail.

Crossover:  Those have the Type AA, probably the most popular crossover for the Klipschorn ever.  It has a very smooth sound most people like.  It also has a special section built in to protect the K-77 tweeter.  The Type AA in the picture appears stock. 

The problem is that after 20 years or so the capacitor (large silver cans) can break down making the sound almost dull.  In a worst case situation they can leak.  This is easy to upgrade and there is a lot of information how to do this.  Bob Crites has a kit for $100 usd that is easy to install that can update the crossovers.  The parts you need are easy to find in Europe.  Should you do this upgrade there are many topics in our forums that can help you and many forum members can help guild you through this.