Introduction

phillmartin

Hello everyone! Finally I have been able to start building my home theater. Just wanted to introduce myself rather than keep lurking in the shadows. I'm no audiophile, but have always had a strong appreciation for music and soundtracks. Here's a pic of my 2.1 set up so far.

20161127_223731.thumb.jpg.727a6419bfff47

R28f + R12sw

Yamaha Rx-v367 (from my old HTIB)

PS4 Pro

Samsung 65" 4k D630

Next im looking into a new reciever to properly power these. Followed by a center channel, surrounds, atmos, and a second sub eventually. I'll be building this over the next 12-18 months hopefully.

Any feedback on the Marantz Sr5010 for power and futureproofing? Id like to have something I wont need to upgrade for the next 3-5 years without bankrupting myself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phillmartin said:

Any feedback on the Marantz Sr5010 for power and future proofing? Id like to have something I wont need to upgrade for the next 3-5 years without bankrupting myself.

Welcome to the forum, Phil.  :emotion-21::emotion-19:B)

You have a nice setup currently  and a good plan for the future.

2 hours ago, phillmartin said:

Next im looking into a new reciever to properly power these. Followed by a center channel, surrounds, atmos, and a second sub eventually.

I don't know that Marantz 5010 but Marantz in general has a solid reputation.  You might want to double-check to see if the 5010 supports Atmos, if Atmos is in your future upgrade plans.

• Like 1

I don't know that Marantz 5010 but Marantz in general has a solid reputation.  You might want to double-check to see if the 5010 supports Atmos, if Atmos is in your future upgrade plans.

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-Channel-Surround-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01IC354K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480437161&sr=8-1&keywords=marantz+sr5011

The 5010 does have Atmos. I see a recertified model on Amazon and Accessories4less for $500-550, which would seem to fit well, but don't know anything about recertified models. Any thoughts on if recertified models are a safe thing to get? Or a link where i can research it more? Searching on my phone isnt as helpful as i thought it would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phillmartin said:

The 5010 does have Atmos. I see a recertified model on Amazon and Accessories4less for $500-550, which would seem to fit well, but don't know anything about recertified models. Any thoughts on if recertified models are a safe thing to get? Or a link where i can research it more? Searching on my phone isnt as helpful as i thought it would be.

I swear when I first looked I couldn't find Atmos, but when Iooked again, there it was!  Sorry I was wrong, but glad that you confirmed the model had the features you were looking for.

+++

Several people here have had nothing but good experiences with A4less, including me.  Good products in new or nearly-new condition that seem to work just fine.

• Like 1

Welcome Phillmarten, looks like your off to a good start and a smart plan. It's always better to wait to get what you really want instead of settling for less right away, much cheaper in the end. 

Thanks! I can do without the atmos and second sub to be honest; since my room is medium sized. I'm hoping that as i advance in my career, im able to have a dedicated media room and upgrade to the reference premier (or future equivalent) with those features and relegate this system to my main living/hosting area. Pretty high aspirations for a guy with a zillion buck of student loan debt...

• Like 1

Need to get all of that girly stuff out of there -- it's ruining the view. :-)

We used to have Ikea bookshelves full of board games and memorabilia which my wife complained about being too cluttered and not belonging in the living room. I did a clean install, moved the shelves, and put the speakers up. Then she said it looks empty. Its a small concession to getting my sound system. We're reorganizing the house this weekend, so some of that may get moved again.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, phillmartin said:

We used to have Ikea bookshelves full of board games and memorabilia which my wife complained about being too cluttered and not belonging in the living room. I did a clean install, moved the shelves, and put the speakers up. Then she said it looks empty. Its a small concession to getting my sound system. We're reorganizing the house this weekend, so some of that may get moved again.

Ha!  I can one hundred percent commiserate with you, for all the same reasons!   :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

20161220_140405.thumb.jpg.c7ab629cc5d437
Added the center channel. Helps a lot with movie dialogue.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I recently converted a good friend to upgrading his system. He's going from TV speakers to a 3.1 setup with RF82II and RC62II or RP250 I can't remember which center he chose. Should be in this week!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just upgraded my receiver from a Yamaha RX-367 to a Marantz Sr5010. I biamped the front towers. When I connected my phone for a test song or two, I though my sub was acting up, but then I realized it was all from the towers and it was straight 2.0. I understand what power means now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Yamaha rx-v367 and I'm looking at getting 2 rp-260f floors and a rp-250c and a store rep was telling me today that my receiver is too weak for those speakers. Thoughts? He was explaining the RMS on the receiver was to low on receiver would hurt the speaker / receive but I'm not sure how that would happen with the speaker rated at 125w and the receiver at 100wpc. I would like to not upgrade receiver at this time if possible but don't want to hurt the speakers and want them to sound great! Thanks for the help!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tennisdude345 said:

I have the Yamaha rx-v367 and I'm looking at getting 2 rp-260f floors and a rp-250c and a store rep was telling me today that my receiver is too weak for those speakers. Thoughts? He was explaining the RMS on the receiver was to low on receiver would hurt the speaker / receive but I'm not sure how that would happen with the speaker rated at 125w and the receiver at 100wpc. I would like to not upgrade receiver at this time if possible but don't want to hurt the speakers and want them to sound great! Thanks for the help!

Most of the guys selling gear have no idea what they are selling...who knows, tomorrow it might be toasters, cell phones?... Anyways, you can definitely harm your speakers with a receiver or amp that is too low powered. It pretty much depends on what you want out of it. If you want loud music played at high levels than a low powered receiver can do more harm than good.  Basically the low power tries to reach those levels you want but it clips in doing so. When the loud passages kick in the peak watts can jump way over the rated power, problem is this extra boost is usually all distortion. I have fried 200 wpc speakers with a 35 wpc receiver. Funny though as I now run 500 wpc monoblock amps into 300 watt rated speakers and can probably hit concert levels without either party running out of gas. 

Tim

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tennisdude345 said:

A 100 wpc receiver can absolutely drive speakers rated for 125 wpc with no problems.

Bottom line, your current receiver is fine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

A 100 wpc receiver can absolutely drive speakers rated for 125 wpc with no problems.

Bottom line, your current receiver is fine.

Just remember these entry level Yamaha receivers are waaaaaay over rated. With only 250 watt total consumption and weighing in at 16 lbs I guarantee this thing is not pumping out anywhere near 100 wpc.......I can almost hear it clipping now. Just saying I had the RX-V2700 supposedly putting out 140 per channel and my SR-120 drowned it out at about 10% on the volume knob. I think you may have heard one of those Sherbourns...

• Like 3

You could what I did--go to "accessories4less" and buy a refurbished unit.

I bought a Denon for next to nothing and it has great sound and very versatile.

My Denon is only about 80 or 85 watts and I have plenty of good, clean power.

Shop there and see what you can find--BTW--I picked Denon over Yamaha because

I think Denon sounds better with Klipsch Speakers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After upgrading, there is no comparison. I have full, rich bass from my towers, something the 367 literally couldn't produce. My r28fs sucked the amp dry. I never had issues with distortion though. Upgrading will give you a much clearer sound. Audessey room processing really changed the way I enjoy music and movies now that I have surround.

The Yamaha would make a great receiver for a couple bookshelf speakers in the garage, but if you're spending that much on your speakers, skip the center and go for something that will let you enjoy your investment. Get the center later. Something new will also pass through 4k signals which the 367 doesnt. Just my .02

• Like 4