JBL SRX818SP pro-sound sub with lascalas

jwgorman

I have a Yorkville LS808 that I can eq to be fairly flat to low 40s and it actually sounds pretty good with a the lascalas. But it's huge and carpeted, requires a driverack/poweramp and yeah, zero WAF....anyway I was considering blowing in a JBLSRX818SP because, it doesn't have to play that loud (capable of 135db) so I'd never drive it passed it's xmax and I can even monkey with patterns and all manner of eq/delay/etc. I don't do home theater so a sub that goes into the 30s is overkill for me. 

Anyone else tried one of these subs for home use? http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx818sp#.WD41UtYUwqY

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting, I can actually get the JBL for the same money. Yes, I've used horn subs in pro sound (small local rock bands) and have had good luck with them in groups in bigger venues or outdoors. The Yorkville is a quasi horn loaded sub that can do ok standalone indoors, but likes to hang out with others outdoors. I am not opposed to horn subs at all. Something like the danley TH112 looks interesting too. 

For those keeping score at home, the JBLSRX818SP was not a good match. In the literature is mentioned that it  has built in delay in the DSP. It does not. It can delay the unit, relative to another unit in a rig (they have IP addresses) but no delay within the box to match the lascala's horn length. 

It still sounded pretty groovy but, alas, it did not integrate really well. At least, I should say, I was unable to make it sound cohesive. I'm going to try one more prosound sub with a reputation for finesse...the EV ETX15SP. We shall see. 

I pay for return shipping so you don't have to! :)

20 hours ago, jwgorman said:

For those keeping score at home, the JBLSRX818SP was not a good match. In the literature is mentioned that it  has built in delay in the DSP. It does not. It can delay the unit, relative to another unit in a rig (they have IP addresses) but no delay within the box to match the lascala's horn length. 

It still sounded pretty groovy but, alas, it did not integrate really well. At least, I should say, I was unable to make it sound cohesive. I'm going to try one more prosound sub with a reputation for finesse...the EV ETX15SP. We shall see. 

I pay for return shipping so you don't have to! :)

Pick up the Table Tuba for sale in the for sale section for best results.

Also the svs sb12nsd is still on amazon for 399.  It's only a small cube and will go to low 20s but play 110+db at 30+.  Great waf factor.  Just a thought.

Jasons subs sound incredible if u like horns.  I heard 2 playing with klf30s and its the best combo for 2channel audio ive ever heard.  You would not know they are subs they are so clean.

• Like 2

Yep, I am going to try these EVs and see what they sound like. I am not against passive horn subs (TH112 Danleys etc), like I said I've used them before and I like the sound of the sub horns I've used. I even did a show once at which I used 4 of the large BFM titans in a 100 person club. That was serious bass. I even considered an EAW FR250Z as DJK mentioned many years ago that push pulls have less distortion than horns. I occasionally wish I lived closer to civilization so I could try more gear. Wait, no I don't.... :)

Jasons subs sound incredible if u like horns.  I heard 2 playing with klf30s and its the best combo for 2channel audio ive ever heard.  You would not know they are subs they are so clean.

You know it RK[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1