April Madness 2017

DizRotus

I find it rather odd that the professional broadcasters can't seem to make up their minds and keep referring to Xavier as either EX-avier or ZAYvier.  I was taught it was pronounced with the Z which never made any sense to me.

In any case #11 Zavier leads #3 Florida St late first half by 11.

2 hours ago, ACV92 said:

@wvu80 - Looks like it could be my hometown Zags and WVU in the next bracket.

It should be an interesting matchup.  West Virginia is hard to prepare for because in practice it's hard to simulate a good full court press for 40 minutes.  You'll also see them use a 1-3-1 zone, another unorthodox defense that gives fits to teams who haven't seen it.

WVU played well today to beat Notre Dame, maybe the best all around and consistent game I've seen them play all year, especially on offense.

If it's close in the last 5 minutes WVU does not shoot free throws well.  They also don't have a "go to" knock down jump shooter so if it's close at the end, the Zags have the edge.

If WVU can wear the Zags down and get them out of rhythm with the press then WVU can win.  They have beaten Kansas by 20 and Baylor by 16 when they were ranked 1-2 so WVU will not be intimidated by the Zags national ranking.

• Like 2

Another form of "March Madness" describes the annual cries of disgruntled alumni to fire the coach.  This year IU fired Tom Crean.  Some Buckeye fans want Thad Matta to be fired.  In the recent past, some Wolverine fans called for John Beilein to get the axe.  Clearly, getting rid of Beilein would have been a mistake.

The expectations of some supporters are unrealistic.  Sports Illustrated has an interesting article regarding the IU situation.  It is more flattering to Tom Crean than to the IU administration.  Admittedly, it is difficult to feel too sorry for coaches that are paid millions of dollars, even after being fired, but the notion that each coach must win conference championships and get to the Final Four, or be fired, is insane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eth2 said:

Now Louisville goes down

The magical Michigan story continues!

I hate that the coach of every team in American has to complain about how his team had to "overcome adversity" to be where they are.  Well, having your plane run off the runway which could have potentially killed everyone on board qualifies for "adversity" in my book!

Michigan has the best story of the year.

• Like 1

The magical Michigan story continues!

I hate that the coach of every team in American has to complain about how his team had to "overcome adversity" to be where they are.  Well, having your plane run off the runway which could have potentially killed everyone on board qualifies for "adversity" in my book!

Michigan has the best story of the year.

Syracuse, on the other hand, does not get invited to the big dance, and bombs out of the NIT in the 2nd round.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mich State showing some poise at the end of the first half to be down only by 5.  Both teams showing some good talent but MSU will need to outplay their opponent as KU will not beat themselves with sloppy play and bad shot selection.

10 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Another form of "March Madness" describes the annual cries of disgruntled alumni to fire the coach.  This year IU fired Tom Crean.  Some Buckeye fans want Thad Matta to be fired.  In the recent past, some Wolverine fans called for John Beilein to get the axe.  Clearly, getting rid of Beilein would have been a mistake.

The expectations of some supporters are unrealistic.  Sports Illustrated has an interesting article regarding the IU situation.  It is more flattering to Tom Crean than to the IU administration.  Admittedly, it is difficult to feel too sorry for coaches that are paid millions of dollars, even after being fired, but the notion that each coach must win conference championships and get to the Final Four, or be fired, is insane.

The rumor is IU is trying to steal Steve Alford from UCLA. I think they need a more established coach, not an ex player to satisfy the boosters. If UCLA gets knocked out, maybe it would be a good move.

40 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Kansas is playing well.

I thought MSU played pretty well!  Then one guy, Kansas' Mason just took over the game.

The best teams have the best players.  Mason is the best player in the country.