Anyone here use ICEpower or Hypex amplifier modules?

Chris A

Was wondering what the experience was with forum members using ICEpower amplifier modules to build up their own stereo or multichannel amplifiers.  Same thing for Hypex amplifier modules.

Edit: I found one other thread on Hypex here (i.e., in another subforum not specifically about SS amplifiers):

and one comment in this thread:

...and one on B&O in general in the Tech/Mods section (before this subforum existed):

Apparently TEAC used ICEpower at one time:

and one more in the 2-channel forum (i.e., not the right subforum) on Class D in general:

I'm looking for recent experiences in using and listening ICEpower or Hypex in your system, but especially those experiences integrating the bare modules into your own DIY amplifier.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I just ordered 2 125w, and 2 50w Icepower amps for my Synergy horns. I am planning on making it a 14 channel amp that will power my front 3 channels plus my surround and Atmos channels. I am planning on using a Elan amp case from a nonworking amp. Hopefully this will be pretty easy since the boards are already assembled.

Been using Class D for years... I tried many, I have built none.

One thing for certain in this journey is, Class D is clean and focused... resolution and granularity is not an issue. Superb sounding amplifiers.

I ran a class D monoblock with a class D pre and when I substituted a Single Ended Tube Preamp for the Pioneer elite (with all the room correction algorithms you could want) the system really began to take off into the stratosphere. A quality Class D with a Tube Pre is phenomenal and I expect Hypex would be no different.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 7:31 PM, Schu said:

Been using Class D for years... I tried many, I have built none.

One thing for certain in this journey is, Class D is clean and focused... resolution and granularity is not an issue. Superb sounding amplifiers.

I ran a class D monoblock with a class D pre and when I substituted a Single Ended Tube Preamp for the Pioneer elite (with all the room correction algorithms you could want) the system really began to take off into the stratosphere. A quality Class D with a Tube Pre is phenomenal and I expect Hypex would be no different.

I had thought about running a miniwatt for the horns, and the 125w IcePower for the bass bins, but now I have the 50w IcePower amps coming for 4 channels.

I went from MacMini, Pure Music, Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse, Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp, Transcendent Sound SOB OTL out a pair of RF7II's to this...

Remove the Preamp, Remove the SOB and insert a pair of Wyred4Sound mAmps...Just the MacMini, Pure Music, DAC, mAmps and RF7ii's....I'm loving it.....:D

I have to tell you the Transcendent equipment is some really top of the line tube equipment...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wdecho said:

I bought the ICE125ASX2 and was amazed with the sound for only $100. You will need to build the buffer network described in the product sheet to use with pots for volume control if one does not have a separate buffer or pre. You will not be able to just use potentiometers by themselves the inputs needing a low input impedance or the treble will roll off dramatically. I have at least 8 or more different class D boards and the 125ASX2 is my favorite class D. Very tube like sound in the mids with a big soundstage. Building the input buffer is cheap and easy. The board even has a separate PS output for the buffer. 

Can I use the MINIDSP 2x4 to electronically set the Gain? I ask this because I know it has internal gain controls...not sure if this would be proper or not, or if a buffer would still be required. We will have our preamp feeding the amp channels, and crossover directly.

5 hours ago, wdecho said:

Here is a schematic of an excellent easy to build Nelson Pass buffer which can be used with any power amplifier. Also the power supply can be a cheap 24 volt switcher. With this buffer and one of the ICE boards one will have an amplifier that will rival much more expensive ones with our speakers. 

B1 PP New Buffer preamp schematic.gif

Is the buffer only needed if i don't have a preamp? I have the Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp.

6 hours ago, wdecho said:

That is correct ellis. Most preamplifiers will work. The boards are made for installing in speakers or maybe high end television sets and or amplifier makers and not actually for diyer's as some of the Chinese boards. My experience is most any SS pre will have an output less than 600 ohms. With a tube pre one would need to verify the output impedance. There is no physical problem, not going to burn up, but the top end will suffer with too high an input impedance. 

So there would be no negatives to not doing a buffer with the Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, correct?

2 minutes ago, wdecho said:

Yes, that is correct. The board has a considerable amount of gain so you will probably not have a lot of control with the pots but not a serious problem, just touchy. Most all of the Class D boards I have tried have a lot of gain and do work better with just a buffer as far as having more range with the pots. 

So are you saying for the bi-amped channels I would still be better off with the buffers...to make adjustment finer?