RSB-11 vs R-20B Soundbar

Blvdre

I'm in the market for a soundbar, something for our main TV, to be used for general use (TV and streaming music). I don't care about surround at all, and if I want to listen critically, I'll head to the basement to listen to the La Scalas. However, I do want the cleanest possible sound. I'm choosing to go with a soundbar because of the high WAF factor, and frankly, I'm in support of this myself. I have plenty of BUBs in the basement, don't need them in the living room as well.

It's my understanding that the advantage of the RSB-11 is the HDMI signals of the various sources are fed directly to the bar, which yields a higher quality source compared to the R-20B, which is fed from the TV's optical out.

On the other hand, the R-20B's mid and sub drivers are larger, and may be a bit more capable when the volume's turned up a bit.

As far as cost, they're pretty comparable, and at the top end of my budget for a sound bar. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Hi Blvdre,

I'm also researching soundbars and am nearly settled on the R-20B.  I am also concerned by no HDMI interface with the R-20B. But more than one has told me there is no difference in sound quality between the TV's digital optical sound output (SPDIF) and the sound from the HDMI connection. Meaning the R20 receiving sound from the digital optical line would be the same if the R20 had an HDMI like the RSB-11.  As I understand it the advantage of HDMI on a soundbar is you can connect all sources (Cable, DVD) first to the soundbar then the signals travel to the TV via HDMI. I believe I've seen it called HDMI ARC on the TV.

My TV is an older Vizio without an HDMI ARC so the only option I have is connecting all sources to the TV and using the digital optical out from the TV to my TV. 

Recently I've seen the R-20B for $399 on Klipsch and Crutchfield which is less than the RSB-11.  Crutchfield also has some R-20B on their "scratch and dent" page for $339. Hope this helps. 

David