Placement of surround sound Speaker

fReAk

Hello,

i have a problem in my new living room. As we placed our furniture to the "perfect" place, we have now the problem to place the surround speaker at the right spot. I have 2 RP280Fs as front speaker, 1 RP450C for center and 2 RP250S for surround. Where I should place the rear right speaker, there is a door. What should I do? I don't want to drill a lot holes to try the different placements.

- Should I place the speaker left next to the door

- or above the door?

- or do somethin else?

A speaker stand is a problem, because there is no space next to the couch or behind.

Thank you very much,

Best regards from germany,

Fabian

32f9648338f0e40d16ee767c2cb479fb.jpg59bebdf586df1a32aaec4b197ba98e1d.jpg2a360192db7528644c81a383396b9b9a.jpg4c8191d4f9d883865fa5901b01ef298b.jpgeafe605ee2d902be331cca6a0cd68e51.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Put them in line with each other laterally positioned fore-and-aft at the left window-wall intersection on the left, and just to the left of the door on the right, somewhat above your listening ear height (your choice on height).  This is slightly forward of your sitting position.

You will actually hear the surrounds better and have better envelopment in this position than if they are 90 degrees from your listening position on the couch--or behind the couch.  There are studies that prove this, and I can also attest to this being the best position empirically.  I can provide those studies on request.

Chris

• Like 1

Officially, Dolby recommends no further forward than 90 degrees to your side, but you can go a little far back.  Unofficially, I can vouch for what Chris said.  Had some surrounds a little further forward and panning was way more seamless, watch a concert blu ray and guitars were coming out of the walls in places where there were no speakers.  I can't get that with them further back where the official recommendation is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fReAk said:

How high should I hang them?

This is personal preference.  At least sitting ear height plus 12 inches, would be my recommendation.  Some people like the wide reflections from opposite walls, and others do not.  I'm in the "do not" camp.  I like direct sound over reflected sound for the surrounds. It is also sensitive to the exact type of surround loudspeakers that you're using.  You can place them as high as touching the ceiling if the resulting sound is pleasing to your ears, but I'd recommend at least 12 inches down from the ceiling. 

If you can, try listening to them at different heights (but both at the same height with respect to each other), starting with 12" above sitting ear height, then go up at 12" intervals and listen to the same movie or music with strong surround channel sounds.  Calibrate the surround channel gains first using your room equalization software in your AVR.  Run each trial using the same movie material with the surrounds at a higher or lower position.

If possible, have someone else move them and hide their positions from your view at night, etc. so that you're not aware of the height at which they're located while listening (i.e., blind test).  Toole has found that looking at their positions on the wall influences the listening test results, but that blind test results show much stronger preferences to certain positions/heights. 

Chris

On 11/30/2016 at 2:03 PM, Chris A said:

Welcome to the forum.

Put them in line with each other laterally positioned fore-and-aft at the left window-wall intersection on the left, and just to the left of the door on the right, somewhat above your listening ear height (your choice on height).  This is slightly forward of your sitting position.

You will actually hear the surrounds better and have better envelopment in this position than if they are 90 degrees from your listening position on the couch--or behind the couch.  There are studies that prove this, and I can also attest to this being the best position empirically.  I can provide those studies on request.

Chris

This is what I would do, as Chris said having the surrounds slightly ahead of 90 degrees is great. This is how I have our surrounds setup, its by far the best I've heard it. I've had them up high above doors , behind the listening position as suggested, etc. I would advise against placing them too high , like above the door.

If you do place them to the left of the door, make sure to take some precautions to keep the door from swinging open and hitting them.

Thank you very much! I will try different heights. There will be a carpet between couch and tv. And some curtain.
And I will put a stopper behind the door that there will be no damage.
I will test the system over the weekend. On Sunday I hope a have a perfect sound [emoji4]
Best regards from Germany and thank you for your perfect and fast answers. Super Community [emoji106]