Need help with Klipsch atmos theater layout and speaker selections

blacksheep

Hello - In my basement, I plan to do a Klipsch HT theater setup - here are the speakers I have selected so far:

Fronts  - RP-280F

Center - RP-450CA

Sub - R-115SW

Side surrounds - RP-250S  X 2

Atmos Front and Atmos Rear -  CDT-5800-C X 4

Rear surround - CDT-5800-C X 2

I plan on mounting the side surrounds just above ear level.

My biggest concern is rear surround - Sadly, due to the room setup and the open layout (bar is at end of theater area), I cannot do rear speakers - aka no speakers on stands or floorstanding

Also, there seems to be no pretty way to hang klipsch speakers - I haven't found any clean hanger setups to do a set of bookshelves off the ceiling in the back.

And wife does not want the hanging speakers.

But, I am afraid this is not a clean and optimal setup. From what I have read, rear surrounds are best at ear level. Else, the elevation of the rear surrounds could impact the effectiveness of the 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling. 

I looked at the wireless HD surrounds and they cost as much as my 4 atmos speakers, so I struggle with the cost aspect there. Also, kids may knock it down etc playing around. 

So, thoughts on what I should be doing? Am I OK with the rear surrounds in ceiling? Any other options. 

Now, I did consider speakers on the side walls but further back and angled in somehow at 45 degress or so firing into the sound stage. I don't know if that will work. Also don't know what I would use. 

FYI - I plan to run an Onkyo or Pioneer Elite receiver to power all the speakers and a projector and screen. Not that it changes anything!

I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks much!

2 hours ago, blacksheep said:

Fronts  - RP-280F

Center - RP-450CA

No reason to get a veneered center if you're getting the brushed vinyl towers.  I'd say go one way or another and match all three.  That center is just to match the veneered RP-280FA's.  

Atmos Front and Atmos Rear -  CDT-5800-C X 4

Rear surround - CDT-5800-C X 2

Don't put both rear surrounds and Atmos in the ceiling, you won't be able to tell them apart.  Skip the rear 7.1 surrounds if need be.  5.1.4 would be better than this.  

From what I have read, rear surrounds are best at ear level. Else, the elevation of the rear surrounds could impact the effectiveness of the 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling. 

Dolby has eased up on this.  Initially when Atmos first came out they were adamant about doing what you said.  They have since rethought this stance and the new specs allows for slightly elevated surrounds.  Most likely a bunch of people with preexisting surrounds that were elevated threw a fit, I dunno.  Their advice is a bit contradictory though, they say you can elevate it a bit but then turn around in the same sentence and say no speaker should be higher than half the height of your wall.  On an 8' wall that's no more than 48" high which is the same height as towers, so we're back to their original recommendation. :)  I run mine with the tops at 6' high on a 9' wall and it's fine, for whatever it's worth.  

12 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

No reason to get a veneered center if you're getting the brushed vinyl towers.  I'd say go one way or another and match all three.  That center is just to match the veneered RP-280FA's.  

Don't put both rear surrounds and Atmos in the ceiling, you won't be able to tell them apart.  Skip the rear 7.1 surrounds if need be.  5.1.4 would be better than this.  

Dolby has eased up on this.  Initially when Atmos first came out they were adamant about doing what you said.  They have since rethought this stance and the new specs allows for slightly elevated surrounds.  Most likely a bunch of people with preexisting surrounds that were elevated threw a fit, I dunno.  Their advice is a bit contradictory though, they say you can elevate it a bit but then turn around in the same sentence and say no speaker should be higher than half the height of your wall.  On an 8' wall that's no more than 48" high which is the same height as towers, so we're back to their original recommendation. :)  I run mine with the tops at 6' high on a 9' wall and it's fine, for whatever it's worth.  

Thanks for the advice. I meant to say the 450C is all for the center, so I appreciate the catch there! 

Figured as much about the rear surrounds and atmos being on the ceiling! Interesting - 5.1.4 - I had not considered this and thought anything over 5.x - the rear surrounds are required. I guess if I place the seating to line up with the side surrounds which the speaker design allows from some play position wise - I may be able to pull off the 5.1.4. 

The basement has 9 ft cielings, with drywall etc, I am going to be a approx 8.5 ft anyway - so I planned to put the side surrounds at about 36 to 42" allowing for atmos in the cieling. I wouldnt mind doing rear floor standers but running wires is impossible on the plank vinyl floors we will have :(

Thanks again for the advice. I wish I could draw up the room and show you all how its gonna go together, but I am terrible with a pen!