Klipsch forte 2 with bobs drivers

fluidcool

11 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Are these what your woofers looked like? I think Mr.Crites' woofers are the same. I agree on checking the passive seals and making sure you didn't cross wire the woofers when you installed them. If I remember correctly, the woofers also have gaskets, did you replace them or were gaskets even there? BTW Simply Speakers is a good company to deal with.

Mark

2s3.jpg

Forte 2s.jpg

Yep thats them got them from a guy at work still in the original mint condition with boxes, The tfm-45 amp and the carver ct-17 for a $100 bucks :) Original woofers look just like that :)

I just might be pushing them too hard. I dont know how i got away with it so long before I had a failure . When i did Upgrade the tweets the nuts had backed off the horns the magnets were ready to fall off but they still sounded good!!! WOW :) Tough *** speakers all i can say!! Got my rebuild kits on the way . I will let you guys know how this plays out 

• Like 1

Well I have lots of hours on these now :). Checked polarity . Checked gaskets. I just cant wait to get my kit from simply speakers!! I'm getting used to the sound of these drivers. They just cant handle the power :( .. I think in all honesty they are getting weaker. Starting to get distortion at 20 watts now. Gonna do the rebuild and go from there. Might just have to fork up the change and buy a new set of Klipsch!!! I love my music so Whatever it takes :) Dont get me wrong these drivers do sound good as replacements!! I bet they would be fantastic on a 20 watt tube amp. Thats not what i have :(.

These stock drivers do come up for sale on eBay from time to time, might want to keep an eye out there. Or you could keep a look out for a "rough" pair hopefully not too expensive to show up locally and take the parts you need and sell the rest off, could probably break even with a little bit of work. Or find another nice pair and just sell yours as is with the Crites woofers installed. So there's a few options for you, luckily the forte is a fairly common model so you shouldn't have to wait too long for something to show up.

• Like 1

If you are getting distortion at 20 watts, I would suspect an amp issue or a call to Bob is in order. He is always very helpful and willing to work with you. Bob knows how to test drivers and I highly doubt he would have a driver made that would be so weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for poops and grins, have you tried any other speakers on the TFM-45 besides the Forte's? I owned a TFM-55 for about 5 years that I had recapped and tuned up plus still own a Carver M-1.0t MKII Opt 002 (hot rodded with major SQ and power...460wpc) of which both sound/sounded great. Any other speakers in the arsenal? 

It's altogether possible some caps are out of spec and/or outputs that are tired and worn. That amp and preamp are both 20+ years old. I had a CT-17 at one point. Decent preamp but it's an early stage surround preamp and not easy to recap. CT-7's were better in that they were 2 channel preamps withe boards easier to work on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

It's altogether possible some caps are out of spec and/or outputs that are tired and worn. That amp and preamp are both 20+ years old.

I think avxguytx has a good point.....

I have a TFM-55x that just doesn't sound right with my Chorus... now my other higher power Carver's sound great... and I don't have a "critical ear" but I can tell somethings not 100% with that amp.

Those Forte'IIs should pounding with a clean 100 watts going in em. There rated @ 100 continuous 500 peak... and that TFM-45 isn't even breaking a sweet @ 100 watts.

I have a set of Forte'Is with one replacement woofer. It is a rubber surround but it's not inverted like the Klipsch one. I have never used my Forte's with any of my high power Carver amps.. 

On 12/2/2016 at 8:51 AM, fluidcool said:

I just might be pushing them too hard. I dont know how i got away with it so long before I had a failure .

If you are thinking your TFM-45 is too much for those Forte'IIs ya might want to start thinking about a set of Chours I's or II's. You could have those power needles jumping way past that 375watt mark with a set of Chorus. They pound!!

Just today I was playing my LaScala's with a up-graded Carver M-500t. Those power needles were jumping up to that 200 watt mark... man they were sounding great.

Back to my point and avxguy.... if there's been no work done on that amp ya might want to think about doing so IMHO.

MKP :-)

• Like 1

Good points !! I did recap the carver ct-17. Just the power supply side. It developed a humm a year ago or so .. So i bought the caps and did it. No more hum :) . The Tfm-45 always has seemed solid. I think I will go ahead and tear into that amp as your right I'm sure it could use a recap. It would be an inexpensive upgrade anyway.. I did talk too Bob about how much power to put to them. He seemed to think the meters on the front of the tfm-45 might not be that accurate, maybe I have always been over driving these speakers. When i drove the old ones the meters always topped about about 100 - 110 watts and man did they sing!!! My Buddy has some adcom preamps he don't use . I might try one of those on it see what happens. He bought a ct-17 like mine loved the sonic holography .Thanks for all the input guys!!! Got me thinking about lots of possible issues :)

• Like 1

In my experience the Adcom pre's are extremely harsh sounding and not a good match for Klipsch speakers but if you can try them for free then why not?

The forte's (I & II) cannot take power for very long without breaking, tweeters and woofers will go south if you're trying to reach concert levels sounds for any length of time. That's where the Chorus line come in as MKP points out. They have commercial grade woofers and ferro-fluid in the tweeters for better power handling. Really though it doesn't sound like the damage to your woofers was from over-powering them if its just the surrounds that are bad.  

If you plan on rebuilding the amp yourself I'd suggest looking over the factory service manual and look at the updates that are needed as well. I believe there is a bias drift problem with those amps and possibly a meter light circuit upgrade depending on the year the amp was made. Point is there may be more that needs to be done than just a re-cap.

• Like 1

Yes i have the service manual. No problem on adjusting the bias :) . We just rebuilt my buddies adcom amp. I figure we can just test for problems on the carver and recap it while in there :) And put some lights in the meters they have been rep[laced 3 times in 2 years before I had the amp . :)

4 minutes ago, fluidcool said:

got my eyes peeled for a set of Chorus :)

You'll love em....

Also if you don't mind the Pro speaker look..... KP-362's or KP-301's.... I have two sets of KP-362's and those things absolutely rock.  At my shop I'm running one set of KP-362's with a TFM-42..... 

I'll also pull out my other set here at the house once and awhile. I'll power them with a TFM -55. The 362's hit harder than the Chorus I's or II's... To say chest thump and concert level is a understatement. 

Reading the way you like to listen to music you'll love it...

All kidding aside, be care full with your hearing.... I too love loud and want to "feel" the music... 

48 minutes ago, fluidcool said:

Yes i have the service manual. No problem on adjusting the bias :) . We just rebuilt my buddies adcom amp. I figure we can just test for problems on the carver and recap it while in there :) And put some lights in the meters they have been rep[laced 3 times in 2 years before I had the amp . :)

It's really cool that your able to do this.... the only work I've done to my Carver's that have meters is put a new set of bulbs in em...

MKP :-)

• Like 1

Bulbs are easy I bet !! I dont know everything we just rely on info from places like this. I really like this forum  !!! Lots of knowledge here.. I think Bob does know his shit when it comes to speakers.. I'm a guy that cant afford to spend 300 bucks on a cap upgrade done by somebody else. I have always figured If i can get the tools and the parts we can fix it just like any other man :) The Internet rules!! Lots of info!! Only problem I run into is with newer electronics . Most of this old solidstate and tube stuff is really basic. It only becomes a problem when the cost of the parts or tools is greater than the value of the Item :( The other day dads flat screen died lost the power supply for the backlighting fixed the power supply with spare parts i had from other junk. Then one of the boards that controls the hdmi inputs died told him to junk it!! Cost of that board 300 bucks!! Dont have and cant get info :( you can get a new tv 42inch for that.. I  have been really excited about this vintage audio hobby and the stuff just rules over the new stuff!!! Easy to work on powerfull "ITS AWESOME"!!!

• Like 1

Well I started to break down the original forte 2 woofer.. the problem with Bobs woofers is easy to see!!! The rolled rubber edge on the Original forte 2 woofer it tuff!!  "Real Tuff"!!! Unlike the accordion edge on Bobs woofers. the weaker edge allows to much woofer excursion!! Its very clear to me now.. The surrounds that I ordered form simply speakers are foam and weaker than the accordion edge on Bobs speakers. No point in me going any further with the rebuild of the old woofers. Unless i can find real rubber true surrounds they are a lost cause. Original in good condition K25k drivers are the only option now.. I'm surprised they are not really sought after. I'm gonna watch ebay :)  Maybe bob can have them design one with a true rolled rubber edge then they would handle the watts in the lower range.. The bass punch you wanna hear and feel at 100 watts :)