Klipsch forte 2 with bobs drivers

fluidcool

Well i had a failure :( one of the original drivers failed on the forte 2 .. I did the upgrade to his drivers 12s and redid the crossovers cap kit and the tweets... Now What i find is these cant handle the bass input and sound kinda shitty at 90 watts :( . They cant handle the carver Tfm-45 anymore?? 50 watts on the meter is good!!! But i dont get the sound level i had before :( .. the stock drivers would handle 100 watts and sounded great!!! untill the foam/ rubber edge gave out :(  Any suggestions ??? Just bought a rebuild kit for the old drivers gonna do it my self :)  See if i can get the sound back !!!

• Moderators

When you say bass input are you boosting the bass any, not a good idea at those watts. Is it foam or tight little corrugations like in this pic, just trying to make sure there original.

Sounds like you need bigger speakers. 

Klipsch_K-33_Stereo_Speaker_woofer_sal_collage.jpg

Thats why i got on here .. I called Bob he told me they are sonic same when i asked him about power input said they were higher than the originals, but now i dont get the volume or the bass responce i had with the originals... Told me that basically that . Well he told me nothing :( said i had a leaky cabinet LOL they are perfect!!! so im just looking for suggestions or maybe some info on what to do.. Like i said they seem like a great replacement but they cant handle the power anymore or the sound level...

thought maybe somebody else had this problem..

• Like 1

I've always been curious about this driver but honestly I think you're the first person I've heard about that has actually used it in a forte. Years back I had a couple of friends with forte's and they each blew out the woofers, one of them a few different times. I would assist in having the woofers re-coned and they seemed to work the same as the originals. The problem with the forte woofers is they just sound so good and powerful without distortion and they give no warning when over-driven, they just kind of give out.

• Like 1

Well I gonna fix the edge on the old woofers with the kit when i get it.. If all goes well I'll report back :) But from what i have heard so far Bobs replacement woofers might be fine for somebody jammin at 50 watts or less ..dont even try 90 watts they might die!!! even the the woofer feels way more easy to move by hand than the stock ones with a bad edge...

19 minutes ago, fluidcool said:

so im just looking for suggestions or maybe some info on what to do..

Be patient, break them in for a month with regular listening. 

I have used some new 10" Eminence woofers that sounded literally, awful when first hooked up.  Very thin, no loudness.  They sounded MUCH better after a month, and after a year they now sound great.  They are stiff intentionally and don't move much because that is how you get less distortion.

• Like 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

The forte's use an inverted rubber surround.

That's what mine has, I was just wondering if someone changed them out in the past.

Changing the surrounds is easy, it's just the replacements I used a few times were just the foam design and never last more than a few years before they fell apart. I hope someone is making something better now. It was a pair of Advent speakers I redid, twice over about 8 years, got tired of that and got rid of them.   

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, fluidcool said:

might be what happened to me. for about a year everyday i gave them a 100 watts sounded great!!! No distortion!!! just solid bliss :)

I see you have "farm country" as your location, are you playing these outside. I ask because inside at 100 watts everyday would get old unless you have a REALLY big space. Just wondering because there are some speakers that you may like better if really loud preferred that regularly, like LaScalas or bigger ?  

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Be patient, break them in for a month with regular listening. 

I have used some new 10" Eminence woofers that sounded literally, awful when first hooked up.  Very thin, no loudness.  They sounded MUCH better after a month, and after a year they now sound great.  They are stiff intentionally and don't move much because that is how you get less distortion.

I don't talk about this much because there has been alot of discussion about break in. 

But whe got the cornwall lll's new there was a change in sound weeks later, my wife and others noticed it even without me saying I heard it, they asked what I changed, which was nothing but everyone heard the difference. I don't know how to explain what happened but something changed for the better.

I'm a firm believer in break-in, especially on woofers. If these woofers from Bob are still fairly new I'd definitely give them some time. Let them play 24 hours a day if possible, even at lower volumes and crank them up when you can below distortion levels of course. I would say at least a minimum of 100 hours play time before making any firm judgments one way or another. How many hours would you say you have on them now?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, fluidcool said:

talked to  speaker rebuild place, they told me an accordion edge speaker will not perform like a rolled rubber edge speaker

The word "like" from a speaker place isn't much to go on.  

What would the use on Chorus and about all the other speakers that didn't use foam?