Matching Center speaker for RF-5 fronts

bommai

What is a good center channel I can buy for my RF-5 fronts?  I was using an RC-7 as center and loved it.  Then I bought a pair of JBL 590 towers to try out something non-Klipsch and I love them as well.  So, I replaced the RF-5 with the JBL 590s in the main theater room and still use the RC-7 there.  I brought the RF-5 downstairs to my living room. I need a center channel there though.  Should I try to find a used RC-7 (hard to come by), or buy a new center?  If I buy a new one, would a RC-62 ii work?  They are $329 from Crutchfield.  Otherwise, I could bring the RC-7 from upstairs to downstairs and get a new center for the JBLs but the JBL 520c looks whimpy compared to the RC-7.

The RC-7 is pretty much my favorite Klipsch center speaker and its a perfect match for the RF-5's. If your current RC-7 is working out well for you with your JBL speakers I'd just try to locate another RC-7. They pop up on eBay quite often in various condition usually for reasonable prices.

Although I've never had the RC-62 I've had the RC-3's and RC-35, they are not even close to the RC-7 in my opinion.

There's currently two RC-7's on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=klipsch+rc+7&_sop=10

• Like 2

The RC-62 ii  won't mate anywhere near as well, I'd still recommend trying the RC-7 you won't find a better match, I don't think the rear ports will be a problem and if they are you should be able to easily sell the RC-7 if it just does not work for your location.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich_Guy said:

The RC-62 ii  won't mate anywhere near as well, I'd still recommend trying the RC-7 you won't find a better match, I don't think the rear ports will be a problem and if they are you should be able to easily sell the RC-7 if it just does not work for your location.

Actually I agree with this. For one, you already have an RC-7 in the house, you could try it out in your second location without having to buy anything. If you're going to bother with a center speaker at all you do not want to cheap out as it sets the bar for the rest of your system, everything will have to be dialed back to match your center.

• 2 weeks later...

It is funny you are offering to sell your RC-7, because I sold my RF-5 and I decided to get a JBL center for my main room.  So, I have an RC-7 for sale as well.  I am in central Florida (1 hour east of Orlando).  So, if anyone is interested, please ping me.

Rc-3 II will work really well too but I preferred the rc7 over the rc3ii if you put a gun to my head.  The rc3 is a respectable center for sure in my opinion and no slouch. It's a no bullshit sealed center, put it whereever and it sings.  Cross it at 80hz and no problems

I have my rc7 in a built in and I have both porta plugged and I have my xo set to 80, works perfectly and nothing is muffled