WTB Chorus I Are They the Rarest of Heritage Models??

jjptkd

Yeah I've had several pairs of each over the years and pretty much just looking for the Chorus I right now mainly because of my room set up. My only system is in my bedroom and its relatively a small and tight space. I do like the sound of the exponential mid horn at lower volumes, which is all I'm aloud due to neighbors and such plus the acoustics of the room are very good so high volumes aren't necessary. And its pretty much a must that the speakers butt up tight to the back wall to make them fit.

• Like 1

There's a pair of I's in Dallas for $700(looks WO from photos) on ebay.  I'd make the drive from Houston to pick them up if the price was lower.  I was told around $800 should be the price for the II's(a pair just sold for $500 in San Antonio not too long ago. MISSED OUT). BUT, i do have forte's in WO that i would love to use as front and rear center channels to a pair of matching WO chorus mains. 

Lately, and it might be due to the small room and placement and source(mostly 24b/96k FLAC from a Yamaha 7.2 AVR in direct mode), but these forte's are starting to sound a bit harsh and i can't figure out if one of the mid horn diaphragms is bad b/c it sounds horrible but i only hear it with certain songs.  Could it be the recordings?  I stopped toeing them in, and have them facing straight forward and it's helped with the harshness but the scratchy mid horn sound is still coming out mostly from the right speaker but sometimes from the left as well.  I THINK it's the mid diaphragms, but i ordered the Crites titanium diaphragms for the tweeter in hopes that it's that which was the problem.   They should arrive today.   

Grizzog telling the OP to hold out for the Chorus II's because they sound like a completely different speaker makes me want to sell the forte's and get either a pair of Chorus II, Forte II, or Quartets because of the larger tractrix(sp?) horn.  Does that help with the harshness?

(sorry for going off topic)

Yes the mid range is definitely more up front or forward on the Chorus, the forte is much more laid back in that regard. Have you tried switching speakers or speaker cables to see if the problem follows the speaker or not? Checked all of your connections from RCA's to speaker cables? I would try and isolate the problem you're having before buying a bunch of stuff you may not need. 

Damn, so i did your suggestions and still i heard all sorts of issues. Turns out after a quick search, it's apparent for everyone on this album (Miles Davis - Kind of Blue). I was going crazy over a bad recording.  BUT, i also hear it a bit with Led Zeppelin - Mothership as well. Same sort of distorted sound at some points.  I guess forte's are just that revealing.  Not sure how i feel about that. 

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic.  Good luck OP on finding the Chorus I's you're looking for!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the heads up. Really looking for a pair of 1's within a few hundred miles of me, preferably a lot closer and in Walnut if that's not being too picky. I've got plenty of speakers so I'm in no real hurry, basically started this thread because of how long I've been searching without any luck. I'd even consider working out some sort of trade for my Cherry RF-7 II's if anyone local is interested? I can dream..

• Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 6:04 PM, jjptkd said:

Thanks for the heads up. Really looking for a pair of 1's within a few hundred miles of me, preferably a lot closer and in Walnut if that's not being too picky. I've got plenty of speakers so I'm in no real hurry, basically started this thread because of how long I've been searching without any luck. I'd even consider working out some sort of trade for my Cherry RF-7 II's if anyone local is interested? I can dream..

Well if I ever move back to Oregon I'll let you know :)