Crown D-45 schematic

John Warren

What were Marks mods? I remember the thread but I guess it's gone now? I have a D-45 myself. They are available for reasonable on Ebay all the time.

If you haven't all ready, do a search of my threads. I started one a couple years back in regards to this amp and mods. Maybe it was lost or deleted.

I am on Tapatalk now and cant seem to find the search function

1 hour ago, JL Sargent said:

Thanks Carl, Mark did make some interesting changes to the amp including faster op amps. One thing I didn't find is what op amps he installed?  

It might be mentioned here

From what I was told in the original thread,  there might better OP amps now.  So I started to do some research, but that was all the further I got.  I am glad to see this concept get some more attention.

"I used the TLS084, mostly because of pinout restrictions and not wanting to out run the rest of the circuit."

It's all I can gather from the thread, other than a Texas Instruments device with 2X the speed.

Still pondering on the D75 locally...if it's still around in a week when I know my cash situation better I'll hit them up with a offer.

It's an older unit, with the aluminum knobs and gray faceplate...along with speaker binding posts, and balanced inputs, with 1/4" jack inputs as well.

It's a bad time of year for me to buy stuff...

Except for the chassis, the power transformer, the PC boards and the front panel knobs, I can source everything needed to completely rebuild/mod this amplifier from Mouser and it's lower cost.  There are two 14 pin chips, one is the input stage (quad differential amplifier) and the other is a voltage comparator (to drive the overload LED indicators).  Everything else is a discrete. 

The power supply caps are screw terminal, high posts, 1/2" spacings.  The Mouser PN for a 12,000uF cap with the right configuration to shoe-horn into the D45 is http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?r=598-DCMC50V123

Does increasing the filter capacitor size improve things?  Well, I do measure a large drop in ripple when I straddle 9000uF to each side of the supply (scroll down):

http://www.northreadingeng.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

Will this translate into reduced distortion is still to be determined (my parts are on order).

• Like 1