Theater prep - wiring and such

blacksheep

Exciting times - we are closing on the lot for our new home this week. Hopefully, hole will be dug soon and building will start.

Plan to do a theater/media room in the basement - it wont be dedicated with walls and such like a viewing room, but I am excited for it and starting planning/purchasing now

I can document the build for those interested, its nothing super fancy, but would do it, if anyone cares! :)

1) It looks my rear surrounds will be atleast 30ft from where the receiver....Should I just do 10 AWG CL3 or stick with 12 AWG? I am thinking of just doing an Onkyo RZ class or Pioneer Elite receiver? No pre-amps and other such crazy things. Do you think I am going to have signal loss issues etc?

2) Will the RP's take banana plugs? Last time I did the in-wall wires - they were difficult to bend, terminate and such again due to the 12 AWG thickness. :(

3) Any speciic speak wire recommendations? I know CL2 and CL3 - Google says blue jeans cable in-wall is decent. Some recommend Monoprice. Would like to experts here to give this n00b advice! :)

Thanks all!

If you don't mind me saying so, that Roger Russell chart on wire gauge is a bit of snake oil.

I like this more modern calculator:

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Use copper wire, not copper clad aluminum. For in walls you want CL-2 rating. For inside ducts and plenums you want CLM rated. Monoprice.com is a very good source for speaker wire.

• Like 1

The issue with bending is probably more due to being a low strand count and possibly copper clad aluminum (CCA).  Pure copper with a high strand count and quality jacket just isn't hard to bend.  

And yes RP's take banana plugs, there's a little plastic cap you have to pry out which confuses some people but it's easy.  

Rear surrounds shouldn't need 10 gauge wire on a 30 foot run.  Use the calculator above to see the difference.