R-14M good for nearfield listening?

Alpha Lima

Howdy, y'all.

I use a pair of KG 1.5s for my office system, powered by an NAD 7240PE receiver. A pair of sealed CSW Ensemble subs are crossed in at about 55 Hz to handle the lower frequencies. The KGs sit on swing-out platforms mounted to an IKEA Jerker desk, with the tweeters at around ear level, 4 feet away and about 5 feet apart.

The sound is nice - in fact, the 1.5s are what turned me on to Klipsch and eventually the Epic line. While it's vastly superior to the Logitech computer speakers they replaced, and the imaging is pretty accurate, the sound field is a tad shallow.

Recently, Amazon and some other reputable retailers have been offering a pair of Klipsch R-14M speakers for only $100!

Would these be a good choice, or should I go with more dedicated nearfield monitors? Or are the speakers not the problem, here?

Your advice is most appreciated.

I used the Synergy B-10 speakers as computer speakers for a while. I believe they're the same (the R-14Ms are visually identical except the driver is copper now.) They were really great, they sat maybe a foot and a half from my head. At such close range (and using a corner desk!) they had impressive thump, they could be run wholly without a subwoofer if you don't listen to very bassy content. 

I can't compare to the KG 1.5s since I haven't heard them, but they're the best tiny speakers my ears have heard. They actually replaced a pair of bigger, more expensive Def. Tech StudioMonitor 350s and I found them much more dynamic and to have much more 'slam.' I got mine for $70 when everyone was liquidating the Synergy line, but I'd buy them again for $100. They're great to have around.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2016 at 10:33 PM, chriswhotakesphotos said:

I used the Synergy B-10 speakers as computer speakers for a while. I believe they're the same (the R-14Ms are visually identical except the driver is copper now.) They were really great, they sat maybe a foot and a half from my head. At such close range (and using a corner desk!) they had impressive thump, they could be run wholly without a subwoofer if you don't listen to very bassy content. 

I can't compare to the KG 1.5s since I haven't heard them, but they're the best tiny speakers my ears have heard. They actually replaced a pair of bigger, more expensive Def. Tech StudioMonitor 350s and I found them much more dynamic and to have much more 'slam.' I got mine for $70 when everyone was liquidating the Synergy line, but I'd buy them again for $100. They're great to have around.

The main difference between the B10 and the R14M is the horn. But I think what you said stands otherwise.