Review of Yaqin MC 13 S Integrated amp

derrickdj1

When I started a post on this amp in September I was new to tube amps, now I am kinda new to tube amps, lol.  I never did a review and have had some time with the amp.  This amp is from China and from a strong company.  Many of the parts are from well know compaines like, Solen, Philips, Siemens and Thompson.  The inside is what I would call audiophile grade.  The build quality is excellent, weighting in at around 45 lbs.  It's a very simple amp and is based on the design of David Hafler/Dynaco push pull ultalinear amps.

The amp is 40/40 watts and uses the EL34/6CA7 power tubes and for the preamp, 12AX7/12AU7 tubes.  The binding post are extra large with a 4 and 8 ohm tap.  There is no phono section so, this would need a separate preamp for vinyl users.  The large black things on the top of the amp house the transformers.

I have had a chance to roll some tubes on the amp.  The stock tubes, 6CA7 and preamp tubes made from Shuguang, Tung-Sol EL 34 and their matching preamp tubes and Telefunken Black Diamond power tubes.  The stock power tubes are blue for a nice look. You can find a lot of talk on the web of replacing the stock tubes.  The stock tubes are fine and are good quality.  Can't go by everything you see on the net.  I have compared them to some nice tubes that I purchased. All the tube slots on the amp are clearly labeled and the bias adjustment is on top next to the tubes with the correct settings for easy use.

Enough on amp details, how does it sound?  This is the real kicker, the amp sounds remarkable and if it was made in the US, I am sure it would cost an arm and a leg.  This amp is very detailed, strong bass, sparkling Hi's and is a solid all around performer.  The 6CA7 stock tubes are what I would describe as the so called lush and warm sound.  The Telefunken and Tung-Sol are higher gain tubes and very detailed.  This amp would be suited to a wide range of music.

I am using this amp with the RF 7 II's.  This has plenty of power for these speakers.  The vast majority of the time I am using less than a watt up to 1-2 watts. The amp is in an all digital system so, I have no comments on how it is with vinyl.  I see occasional question come up on the forum about amps from China.  This is one of the reasons for the review.  I can't speak for other companies in China but, Yaqin makes their amps in house with quality parts.  This is the second amp from this company, the first was the Yaqin VK 2100 Hybird amp which I ran without problems for 3 or 4 years.

DSCN2218.JPG

DSCN2278.JPG

DSCN2277.JPG

• Like 4

They are definitely good looking amps and I have thought of delving into them numerous times.  Thanks for the writeup!  It seems like most all of them are integrated amplifiers.  I'd like to have one that's a power amp only as I have a completely gone through (over 200 caps, resistors, IC's, etc) Carver C-1 preamp with remove volume control added on (and mute) and I hate having to get up.  haha.  Sometimes I just need mute! ;)

Can you post any pics of the guts or is it sealed off?

• Like 1

I've open up the Yaqin VK 2100 but, not this amp.  I frequent high end audio shop and have heard some decent tube amps.  This is definitely a good amps and I can recommended it without reservations.  A lot of the amps from China are based on popular designs amps well received in the USA.

China and Russia never stopped using vacuum  tubes when the transistors became popular.  They are not new to this game.

What I'm still trying to learn/understand is the difference in power ranges of tubes and types.  KT88 vs EL84 vs 2A3 vs 300b and on and on.  But, hell, I may not be able to hear that much difference with my tinnitus...could be a moot point.  Sigh...  Still doesn't seem to keep me from tinkering.  

The different type of tubes are used in different amp designs.  I'm no expert but, a SET amp is suppose to have a midrange to die for.  Since most SET are considered flea watt amps, they may not handle the bass has well.  Push-Pull amps have a lot more power and very detailed and maybe not as warm sounding as an amp with 300B tubes.

What speakers are using thinking of pairing with a tube amp?  Most of the Klipsch speakers don't need much power from a tube amp.  There are regular tubes and high gain tubes of the same type.  This will also change the character of the sound.  The 6CA7 that I am listening to now are the softer and warmer sound.  The Tungsol and Telefunken have a bit more power and are very detailed and articulate.  I like the sound from all of them even though they are slightly different.  Tube rolling can quickly eat through some coins, lol.

This amp is an excellent starter amp because of the safety features.  No need to open the amp to adjust the bias, the type of tub for each socket is labeled and Yaqin gives you a tool to do the bias.  It also uses tubes that are easy to find and a wide range of choices.

DSCN2276.JPG

I am not knowledgeable enough on the different tube amp designs but, it is important to mate the right amp with right speakers  of your choice.  Some people swear a SET is the best they have heard .  I have not heard the SET design.  Mike or anyone, can you elaborate on the SET and different designs advantages and disadvantages?

My musical tastes are all over the charts...most all but no hip hop/rap, or top 40, or new country (I do like the older stuff and things like Jamey Johnson, etc). I do jazz, some classical, but mainly rock from 70s and 80s, some progressive rock, hair bands (I'm 50...ha), Norah Jones, Melody Gardot,  Diana Kroll, Allison Krauss, lots of stuff off of Spotify, etc., and I do like to crank on occasion. I've got 400+ wpc from a Carver amp for that. But not near as often like that as I used to. Right now it's CF-3's I use but will be going full horn loaded in near future with Belle bass bins in a 3-way design of some sorts. 

I have two different console PP EL84 amps right now that sound quite good but I keep thinking I'm missing some good stuff and wanting more. Champagne taste on a beer budget, though, right now, as they say.

3 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I am not knowledgeable enough on the different tube amp designs but, it is important to mate the right amp with right speakers  of your choice.  Some people swear a SET is the best they have heard .  I have not heard the SET design.  Mike or anyone, can you elaborate on the SET and different designs advantages and disadvantages?

I think you made a good choice considering the speakers your using, which a single-ended low powered amplifier using a 300B/2A3/45 tube would more than likely not be a good choice for a RF7II. A guy might get away with it in a small room in a near-field setting, but I dunno...I never heard RF7II...

Some guy on here just bought a Line Magnetic SET amplifier, which uses 845 transmitting tubes. That's 24 watts per channel. I would think that push a RF7II.

I have Cornwalls in a small room, near-field, with a 2A3 stereo SET amplifier with AC heating.

While rock-n-roll and especially metal/thrash may be better off with a push-pull tube amplifier, (it really depends on how the material is recorded, imo) my 2A3 amp plays Rap/hip hop/ techno with aplomb.

And what's really strange is the lower snyth notes sound more natural with the 2A3 amp. With rap you can hear the scratches on the records they sample, and they are right in your face.

My 2A3 amplifier doesn't have rolled-off low frequency characteristics, it seems to dig down in the lower 30Hz range to my ears...below the Cornwall's F3, which I think is around 37-39Hz?

For 2.5 watts per side, it sounds large, low, and plenty loud in near-field. Thrash music sucks on the amplifier, that's a given. Older rock-n-roll depends on the recording, old Hendrix sounds good with good material.

I should lash up the Maynard 6AQ5 single-ended parallel pentode amplifier, and get back listening to it. This amp rates right up with the 2A3 SET amplifier, using James output transformers. It's all about the output iron...well...to me...

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

My musical tastes are all over the charts...most all but no hip hop/rap, or top 40, or new country (I do like the older stuff and things like Jamey Johnson, etc). I do jazz, some classical, but mainly rock from 70s and 80s, some progressive rock, hair bands (I'm 50...ha), Norah Jones, Melody Gardot,  Diana Kroll, Allison Krauss, lots of stuff off of Spotify, etc., and I do like to crank on occasion. I've got 400+ wpc from a Carver amp for that. But not near as often like that as I used to. Right now it's CF-3's I use but will be going full horn loaded in near future with Belle bass bins in a 3-way design of some sorts. 

I have two different console PP EL84 amps right now that sound quite good but I keep thinking I'm missing some good stuff and wanting more. Champagne taste on a beer budget, though, right now, as they say.

My musical taste is also all over the place.  The amp does well with whatever I've thrown at it.:)  It's funny, the tube amp gets by on so little power.  I have a 200 watt Acurus high current amp that I also use for 2 channel and HT on the RF 7 II's.  The tubes seems to have just as much power.  I'm in a large room with the speakers around 18 ft. from the MLP.

41 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

I think you made a good choice considering the speakers your using, which a single-ended low powered amplifier using a 300B/2A3/45 tube would more than likely not be a good choice for a RF7II. A guy might get away with it in a small room in a near-field setting, but I dunno...I never heard RF7II...

Some guy on here just bought a Line Magnetic SET amplifier, which uses 845 transmitting tubes. That's 24 watts per channel. I would think that push a RF7II.

I did choose the amp based on the speakers.  At the GTG here in Indiana  Jim brought his Amp and Sound 22 watt amp.  It did a fantastic job with the RF 7 II's.  Plenty of power.

18 hours ago, mike stehr said:

What SET design?

I am running a Dennis Had Set design... using 350b output tubes. the thing is extremely holographic but the sound lost much of it's LF punch when I made the switch from class D amplification. I can hear the LF, but it's very much pushed to the back and lacking any "punch".

I need the best of both worlds.

I have single ended amps from Dennis Had, the late George Wright and Response Audio. KT88/66, 2a3DHT and EL84. Of those variants the EL84 might well be the most "well rounded". All do their thing quite well albeit differently some better, some worse with various music types. My most recent push pull Quicksilver Horn Monos at 25 watts could well be the most well rounded, neutral and natural sounding amps I own. I agree that for a very satisfying "hifi" experience single ended is hard to beat. But if you want a more "lifelike, club live experience, than for me it is the QS monos. I am not in a hurry to sell any of these amps but I have not listened to any of the single ended amps since the QS arrived. 

I look at this as both SS and tubes having their advantages and disadvantages.  I like them equally since I have been running them together for the last 4 years. 

Tubes advantage:

• wide dynamic
  • dress up a system
  • punchy

SS advantage:

• Cheaper on average
  • less maintenance, less money and not as likely to kill yourself, lol.
  • multiple sound field are possibel and multiple channels

It's important to match the amp to the gear for the intended application to get the most out of the equipment.  Tubes can add coloration to the source material.  If you are looking for pristine reproduction, then tubes may not be for you.  If you like the warmth and the ability for clarity at low levels, then a tube system is what you want.

I've about decided to sell off my Magnavox 9304 EL84 PP as I believe it's time to get something newer.  I'll keep the Stromberg 6V6 as it does sound, and look, good for what it is.  Might sell it off later...who knows.  I'm leaning more towards at KT88 PP where I can run either in ultra linear or triode depending on the speakers (CF-3's and the Belle bass bins, etc).  Single ended can save a few dollars, though.  

Also thought about the Audioromy FU29 tubed amp.  Love the looks of those tubes.

I'm seriously considering one of these Audioromy FU29 amps.  For the admission price, it's not the worst thing I've ever spent money on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOROMY-FU29-x-2-Vacuum-Valve-Tube-Hi-end-Tube-Integrated-Amplifier-110v-230v-/290821774742?hash=item43b6541d96:m:mRAWXJH--BmNfRgr2ViN3jg

s-l1600.jpg

Or step up a few more dollars to the KT88 amp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Angel-XDSE-KT88-x4-Class-A-Valve-Vacuum-Tube-Hi-end-Integrated-Amplifier-U-/262345215515

photo_2.jpg