Any truck enthusiasts here?

AaronB123

If so what is your brand of choice? Recently bought a 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost and I gotta say that thing is pretty fast. I test drove a lot of trucks before buying and performance wise none of them came close, not even the v8's. Lets hear everyone's truck of choice here and experiences with different brands. 

I do love my truck dearly but I am a member of a F150 forum on facebook and see they sometimes can have more problems than I would like. I haven't had any yet (knock on wood) so i'll keep my fingers crossed! Any other Ford owners here that can report the luck they've had? 

9 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I do love my truck dearly but I am a member of a F150 forum on facebook and see they sometimes can have more problems than I would like. I haven't had any yet (knock on wood) so i'll keep my fingers crossed! Any other Ford owners here that can report the luck they've had? 

The wife gets the new Rubicon so I get the farm truck.  The 04 F-150 I have has aluminum heads so apparently spark plugs can freeze up easily, the 4wd system is vacuum actuated rather than electric so stuff can break on it.  The 5.4L back then had a two piece spark plug so the bottom half can get stuck in the engine.  Currently dealing with a shaky front end but I think that's a tire thing.  Also there's widespread reports of the rear end and possibly transmission needing a friction modifier.  Wife slammed the door entirely too hard on Sunday night while the window was down and the window regulator broke so I'm also dealing with that, guess I get to try to put a new one in this weekend.  Emergency brake is one of those weird combo units where it's discs but has a drum inside an enlarged area on the hub which was a total pain to remove due to rust.  This is over 60,000 miles in 5 years though on a truck that is 13 years old at this point so I can't complain too much.  Engine is still strong, no leaks, catalytic converters still good, most everything else is good.  

• Like 1

The truck story I wrote elsewhere about Sunday night:

Rough night last night, went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in St. Louis and parked near the top of a parking garage to escape the crowds. Only problem is that when we got out, all the latecomers had surrounded me and parked too close, and I'm in my big F-150. Had to get my wife to get out to help guide me out so I don't hit anything and I rolled my windows down so I could hear. She gets back in and I don't know if she wasn't thinking or was mad or what, but she slams the door, which was exasperated by the fact that we are sitting sideways on a relatively steep incline in the parking garage since it was a smaller one. Well, the window apparently jumps the tracks in the door and won't come back up. So, I drove all the way from the ScotTrade Center in STL to Paducah KY with the window down with it being 40 degrees, me having two jackets with hoods on as well as my thick snowboarding gloves, the kids snuggled up under two blankets.  Between stopping to look at it, stopping multiple times to warm up and to take a nap, and driving slower to minimize the wind in the cab, we got home at 2:30 AM. Pretty awful.

9 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The truck story I wrote elsewhere about Sunday night:

Rough night last night, went to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra in St. Louis and parked near the top of a parking garage to escape the crowds. Only problem is that when we got out, all the latecomers had surrounded me and parked too close, and I'm in my big F-150. Had to get my wife to get out to help guide me out so I don't hit anything and I rolled my windows down so I could hear. She gets back in and I don't know if she wasn't thinking or was mad or what, but she slams the door, which was exasperated by the fact that we are sitting sideways on a relatively steep incline in the parking garage since it was a smaller one. Well, the window apparently jumps the tracks in the door and won't come back up. So, I drove all the way from the ScotTrade Center in STL to Paducah KY with the window down with it being 40 degrees, me having two jackets with hoods on as well as my thick snowboarding gloves, the kids snuggled up under two blankets.  Between stopping to look at it, stopping multiple times to warm up and to take a nap, and driving slower to minimize the wind in the cab, we got home at 2:30 AM. Pretty awful.

Wow, that's rough I have to say I do see very weird things as it pertains to the windows. A couple people on my F150 forum with pretty new trucks 13-15 say there windows just randomly shattered which I can't imagine why that would happen. Perhaps some body flex or something is all I can think of. 

05 Chevy Silverado Quadcab Z71  5.3 Bought new. 195,000 miles currently

Tires , Brakes , Batteries , Oil Changes , Shocks at 120,000 and a waterpump last winter.

I've driven newer Fords and Chevy's they all do some things better than this truck but allaround  I prefer mine, especially handling.

I've also driven a 2013 Dodge nice looking but hated it.

If I had to by new , The Fords are the best looking but I would have to dig deeper . FWIW my mechanic has the new F150 with the Ecoboost and raves about it

Best truck I ever had was 1988 Mitsubishi Macrocab SPX...289,000 miles!...Loved that 2.6 L 4 cyl chain driven overhead cam engine...hard to beat that thing...it never got less than 24 MPG, no matter what kind of driving I was doing...it was my second time around with Mitsubishi 2.6 engine, the truck I traded in for my 88 was an 80 Dodge D-50 sport with a paltry 179,000 on the clock!  Two trucks with a total of over 450,000 miles driven by me from 1980 to 2007!  In that time I had to have brakes re-done on each one ONCE, had to replace clutch in each one ONCE, had to replace fuel pump in the 88 ONCE, and had to replace idler arm in the 88 ONCE...and that was IT!  Good luck finding anything that reliable nowadays!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

How many miles, any issues? 

41,000 miles. Zero issues, but replaced the front brakes at 40,000 miles.

Last truck was also a Toyota. Had it for more than 20 years, and more than 300,000 miles. Was still on the original brakes, but the 4th clutch, if that tells you how I drove it... Tundra is an automatic.

• Like 1

Just now, mungkiman said:

Tundra is 2011.

Wow, that's Toyota for ya! After hearing all the horror stories on the Ford forums I am actually starting to wish I bought the Tundra. Honestly I see people with less than 5k miles and already have problems . I saw one guy that needed a new transmission at about 3400. I guess it's a good thing I got the extended warranty! I do love my truck and that ecoboost is incredible but I don't know if it's worth the trouble. 

You do see some with 100k+ with no issues but to be honest those seem to be few and far between. I don't know if anyone on here follows JD power reliability but Ford is second to the bottom while Lexus and toyota are in the top 3

I have NOT seen ANY new truck that I want to buy...made by ANYBODY!  First of all, they are all WAY overpriced!  Second of all is that I am really NOT that picky, since all I want is a reliable mid-sized 2WD truck with 4-cylinder chain driven OHC, standard tranny, preferably no power windows but power mirror option, room behind seat with NO jump seats, and a STEEL bed bottom (Toyota Tacomas have a thermo-plastic molded one!).  Of course I want power-assist steering and power brakes...but all of them have had that for years now...and air-conditioning.

To be perfectly honest, it seems that at least ONE company would offer something like this, they all used to offer this!...and there are MANY of us who only ask for something like this to be offered...at a FAIR price!

Not a truck but a friend of mine just got a Toyota TRD pro four runner which is ridiculous.  It just has no body roll, drives like a sports car.  Go around a corner fast and it just goes, none of this opposite side of the cab going down mess like every other truck and suv feels like.  I thought maybe the same tech would end up in Tacoma's but supposedly it is quite a bit different.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Not a truck but a friend of mine just got a Toyota TRD pro four runner which is ridiculous.  It just has no body roll, drives like a sports car.  Go around a corner fast and it just goes, none of this opposite side of the cab going down mess like every other truck and suv feels like.  I thought maybe the same tech would end up in Tacoma's but supposedly it is quite a bit different.

Both of my Mitsubishi trucks (80 & 88) handled like sports cars...power assisted rack and pinion steering...makes a world of difference...I do not NEED a high-clearance truck, and with my 63 year old body with its old paratrooper hips and knees...and back, I simply do NOT want to have to climb in and out of one that has high clearance, either.  One thing about that normally-aspirated 2.6 L four that Mitsubishi USED TO OFFER is that it reached its max Horsepower AND its max torque at around 2150-2200 RPM, with a redline of over 6500 RPM, and in fifth gear it was doing 65mph at about the same RPM that it was reaching its max torque and horsepower...still under 2500 RPM at 75 MPH and never required downshifting when pulling a boat up any Arkansas mountainous highway roads, either!  It was a long-stroke/small bore engine, and its torque "rating" belied what it could do in the bottom-end of the RPM range!  As my father used to say...the further you can be UNDER redline, when doing what a vehicle needs to do for you, the better-off the engine will be, unless it is a POORLY designed engine to begin with!  I actually TRIED to break the 1980 truck, and couldn't...after it got 150,000 miles on it I was looking to trade it in soon, so I did things with it which I just don't do, just to see what it could actually take!  I actually drove for about another year and a half after it hit 150,000 miles...before I decided to trade it in...and if I had known it would go to over 250,000 miles with ease (which I found out on the 1988 one!), I would have kept it another two or three years after that before trading it in!  Neither truck ever saw anything other than Castrol GTX in the engines...the same thing I used in my '83 BMW R100RT!  Nowadays I use Mobile One in everything but my old Beemer engine.

I don't own it but I drive a company vehicle, '12 Expedition with the 5.(something) eco boost v8.  has 120k on it now and pretty solid.  I don't recall anything major other than maintenance, except I think the AC condenser got a puncture & had to be replaced.  it runs pretty good, no issues, and is pretty spunky.  putting in the amount of time & miles on the road that I do, when I want it to get moving, it does. even towed with it a bit, and still did pretty good.

before this one, I drove a Tahoe.  seems like it was an '05, 6 or 7 - I don't remember.  liked it too.  no issues that I remember with it either.

23 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

I have NOT seen ANY new truck that I want to buy...made by ANYBODY!  First of all, they are all WAY overpriced!  Second of all is that I am really NOT that picky...

I like the SUV's and the new pickups, but DANG!  they want what seems like 3 mortgages for them!  and are apparently selling like hotcakes.  I don't think I could bring myself to go for a new one at prices like that.  wow.