Newbie with lots O Q's

Cambo5159

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. Returning to the world of home audio after a long hiatus. I'm hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge here. Made the mistake of stopping by BestBuy on Black Friday. My Black Friday haul as follows:

A pair of Klipsch R26F's

A Pioneer Elite VSX LX301 Receiver

I already had a hand me down Polk Audio Sub and an Audio Technica Turntable.  

Just wondering if I have this set up hooked up properly. It's mainly for music. I listen to vinyl on a turntable. I stream music from various sources. I play CD's. It's also hooked up to the TV/Blueray player. Just running it 2.1 style right now. 

1. I'm currently running the speakers Biamped. Is this a good idea? The guy at Best Buy Magnolia told me to run it that way. My receiver has the option to biamp the speakers. 

2. When I use the auto calibration for set up, It sets the speakers up as "large" and I hear nothing from the subwoofer. When I change the speakers to "small" I can hear the sub. I currently have the crossover set at 80hz. Is this a good setting?

Thanks for any thoughts, comments questions as I am just diving back into this hobby. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.  Setting the speakers to small and the sub to yes if fine.  When you use the sub set to plus, then the speakers can be ran as large.  This means the speakers get a full range signal and also a duplicate signal of the bass from the sub.  This is the so called double bass.  When using a sub, you don't need the double bass function.  Also, running the speakers set to Large with a sub can cause some cancellation issues.

Biamp is fine. It probably isn't adding all that much but it's not a problem.

"Plus" or yes comes down to room response and preference. Multiple bass sources could be a good thing, evening out room anomalies, or a bad thing, amplifying other anomalies or putting out too much bass (unless you EQ it properly but its hard to EQ double bass properly in a receiver). You can try it both ways, and you may bee able to adjust the crossover so the mains play solo down to 40hz or 60hz and the bass is doubled below that.

As for setting a crossover with small settings, 80hz is THX standard and a very common setting. Sometimes going lower is better, depending on taste, what slope the receiver uses, frequency response, and the room. Try it to see what you like best. Going above 80hz can be an issue because we hear bass directionally above 80hz but not really below 80hz.

The additional reason to use small and crossover to the sub is to avoid intermodulation distortion and Doppler distortion. These occur due to woofers playing low and relatively high frequencies at the same time and distorting at and around the higher frequencies.

Through a little bit of trial and error you can find the best compromise among these compromises. 

Welcome aboard you'll like it here.

One other bit of advice if your turntable has a cartridge on it you used for years before setting he table aside, consider swapping out the cart or getting a new stylus.  Most needles are shot after 600 to 1000 hours playing .  After that they are just basically digging bigger holes into our vinyl and screwing up your mids and highs.