amp advice for R-28F

ikon

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a pair of Reference II R-28F. Would the Onkyo TX8150 be a good match for these speakers? I'm not interested in 5.1 or anything like that.

And what exactly is underpowering? Do I run a risk if I would use speakers at a low volume?

Thank you very much!

Best regards, Ikon.

First of all welcome.

I believe you're referring to the Reference R-28F, as Reference II is now referred to as Reference Premier.  For 2 channel listening, I'd personally suggest looking at the RP-160M with that receiver.  The 160M is a fantasy bookshelf speaker made with better quality parts and performs wonderfully.  They should also pound the R-28F's into the ground.

Don't worry too much about underpowering - as Klipsch speakers can thrive on as little as 1 watt.

• Like 1

I agree. Since you haven't bought the speakers yet, redirect your aim at some real Reference stuff. 

If you want new towers, try to get some clearance RF-82ii towers before they're gone.

If you're good with bookshelf models, go for the RP-160M.

If you're okay with used, like me, you can check your local Craigslist for older Reference towers such as RF-3 or RF-35.

And, no, you don't need to worry about underpowering your speakers with that Onkyo. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, ikon said:

Hey, just wanted to say I received my speakers last week. Had to wait three weeks on them, but they are amazing!

Congratulations.

What integrated amp, receiver, or preamp/amp combo did you decide on?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a pair of R-28F speakers for my mains/fronts, and currently have a decent Polk 12" sub. and I'm finding out that my 10+ years old Onkyo HT-R510 AV receiver don't sound so good, the sound quality is just not there (maybe because it's older, lacking modern circuitry etc.).  Seems like I need additional EQ to bring out the highs, etc.  I know there is nothing wrong with the speakers, they are brand new.

So, my surround/music system build is a work in progress, and I think my next purchase will need to be a new current bad *** AVR.  Can anyone chime in with recommendations on a good AVR (with at least 100+ watts/channel) that would make my R-28Fs sing??? 

• Like 1

You will get more help if you start your own thread.  What are your goals, HT, music, or both? Is the room upstairs or in a basement?  How large is the room and how far are you from the speakers?  Is this a 2 ch, 5.1 7.1 or possible Atmos system?  All these thing will guide recommendation.  Welcome to the forum Purerock Racing.

• Like 1