2 Channel option in Home Theater Room

vtpalmer

Just getting some opinions.  I'm moving into a new house, and there's a room downstairs that has no windows that I'm dedicating to home theater, I'll be using a projector and screen.  I have 3 Klipsch Industrial Hersey I's and a pair of Forte's I, a  SW 12-D sub., also two RS 3 surrounds and two bookshelf Synergy's.  I have a Denon 7.1 with no turntable input.  I also have a Denon turntable and listen to a lot of vinyl and CD's.  I have the opportunity to get a 2-channel Denon for music.  My question is do I use a separate pre amp with my 7.1, and use the Forte's and one Hersey for front and front center, and the other two for rear, or should I use the 3 Hersey's across front, the 2 RS 3 in the rear,  with two Synergy's also in the rear and have a separate setup with the 2 channel Denon, turntable, CD player with the Forte's.  Any ideas?  

Since you have all the equipment why not experiment?  But I would go with the Fortes mains and heresy center. Will you be getting an acoustically transparent screen? 

You could put the rs3s as side surround and the remaining pair of heresy in the rear positioned to also be used for 5.1 music material such as DVD audio or SACD.

The synergies seem to be the odd pair out.  

As for 2 channel,  well, if your denon 7.1 is up to it you may  be perfectly happy. Most HT receivers will play straight stereo as well as expanded or other synthesized surround from stereo.   You could get a phono preamp for it.  Or  use this stereo denon just as a preamp feeding your 7.1 denon.  

Initially I used my Sherbourne preamp with HT bypass feeding my Pioneer Elite. I also hooked up the big Bryston to drive the mains.   Now I am just using the Pioneer SA9500 for stereo and I have a simple banana plug/jack setup to manually switch the main KLF20s to  either the HT receiver or Stereo integrated amp.

as for the SW12D to be honest it was hard to find,  could not find that model on the klipsch or web archive site...but only on ebay

If it is this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Octave-SW12D-Powered-12-Subwoofer-Home-Theater-Down-Firing-Sub-/332051405287?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

then my feeling is that it will have  a hard time to keep up with the Fortes.  You may not need a sub with them! 

• 1 month later...

You can find info on the sub is on the Klipsch site, by putting RW 12 in the search. Scroll down pass the headphones you will see it listed as RW 12d its 340 watts with frequency 24 - 200 hz. I'll probably use the Forte's as front left and right, and a Hersey for center, the other two for rear surrounds. And the RS 3's for side surrounds.  The above ad on eBay is not my sub. I've never heard Blue Octave. 

12 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I use my RF 7's for HT and 2 ch.  I have an amp switcher to go from HT to 2 ch.  I use a tube amp for 2 ch.  It is hard to setup 2 different systems for one MLP and not have to many speakers in front.

Derrick, amp switch ? i'd like to know or see more on this