Just hooked up my R-28F's

michael.tate

I'm not impressed.  I bought largest entry level towers they make but the satellites they replaced sound better.  It's like I'm not even moving the woofers and it's hooked up to a Denon AVR-589.  I left the straps hooked up to the binding posts.  I even switched over to stereo and turned the channel gain on the AVR all the way up to the highest level +12dB on both towers.  Any help would be appreciated.  I also turned off Dynamic EQ and VOL. set the channel cross over as low as it would go at 40Hz

Seems that the unit you have is really light on power running 75 watts into 2 channels and less at 5.  So there's a couple things to check.

1. Turn the crossover up to 80 Hz, the R-28F's aren't designed to dig way deep like the Reference II or Premier lines are.

2. Make sure the speakers are set to small, they're not full range.

3. Make sure you've adjusted tone control appropriately.

If all that still fails to yield a result, you might look at the legit Reference speakers, i.e. the RF-82 II that's on clearance, juxtaposed to the rebranded Icon line at Best Buy.

While the R-28F is an entry level speaker---With a little adjustment to the AVR it can sound quite good. 

I'm suggesting you have not set the AVR to make these speakers sound good---turn the gain down for one thing,

Plus 12 is gonna make your speakers sound like crap.

I have a Denon and it plays my Synergy just fine but I do Not use the Dynamic EQ.

I manually EQ for my personal taste and my room acoustics and that includes the gain also.

It might take some Thought and some experimentation but with the right settings,

those speakers should sound acceptable---Good Luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IbizaFlame said:

Seems that the unit you have is really light on power running 75 watts into 2 channels and less at 5.  So there's a couple things to check.

1. Turn the crossover up to 80 Hz, the R-28F's aren't designed to dig way deep like the Reference II or Premier lines are.

2. Make sure the speakers are set to small, they're not full range.

3. Make sure you've adjusted tone control appropriately.

If all that still fails to yield a result, you might look at the legit Reference speakers, i.e. the RF-82 II that's on clearance, juxtaposed to the rebranded Icon line at Best Buy.

I really have to disagree with many of these ideas that you have about Klipsch "Entry Level" speakers.

I would Not run a R 28F as a "Small Speaker"-- they do have dual 8 inch drivers and while they're not  the

same drivers found in the reference series---they're not really a Slouch for low sound either.

My entry level Synergy have dual 6&1/2 cones and can dig pretty deep and still sound good.

The entry level Klipsch have a decent top end but not the best because of the cheap crossovers and the

tweeters but, you know, that can be fixed by someone putting forth a little effort to tweek.

Yeah, some of us should have bought reference speakers from the start--but some of us didn't.

he has a "decent speaker" but he needs to set his electronics up properly to get the best sound

from his speakers and he didn't do that.  At least he's not trying to power them from his phone.

I power mine with a 80 Watt Denon--running 5 .1 and don't have any under powering issues.

I do think it is his settings that are making his speakers sound like chit.

• Like 1

At 35hz to 24khz and at 450.00 each those are full range. Should be set to large. You say woofers barley moving what is the bass tone control at? Are the binding posts and straps tight ?  I think you need to check the AVR settings those speakers should be able to piss off the neighbors.

Your entry level speakers are not the same as the entry level Icons.  I have never opted to run two way towers as large speakers, but then again I usually operate with a sub.  Further, it's not like this is the first time someone has had a complaint like this on these speakers.  They pale in comparison to the first and second gen Synergy's and the X and W series Icons.  There's no debate to be had there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IbizaFlame said:

Your entry level speakers are not the same as the entry level Icons.  I have never opted to run two way towers as large speakers, but then again I usually operate with a sub.  Further, it's not like this is the first time someone has had a complaint like this on these speakers.  They pale in comparison to the first and second gen Synergy's and the X and W series Icons.  There's no debate to be had there.

All I'm saying is it is the operators fault--If you go into the menu and set your speakers to plus 12 and turn em up

they're gonna sound bad---these speakers--IMHO are not just plug and play.

• Like 1

First thing is the R-28Fs will need some break in when bought new.  The woofers will loosen up and the speaker will flatten.  Also we don't know positioning.  Lastly they should be run for a long period of time as large to break them in and likely left as large forever.  Very unlikely you will see the woofers working hard with a crossover at 40hz.  This crosswover would start rolling off at around 60hz or so because the 40hz is supposed to be the sum of both the subwoofer and front speakers.  

Set them large, work with positioning, and let them break in.  

Lastly, the AVR-589 likely doesn't have much current to push a double woofer system so I would look at a beefier amp down the road.  Perhaps adding some bass will help in the mean time.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with the comments about R28Fs lacking low end bass and overall power.

Something is wrong here. They're wired incorrectly or the receiver is set incorrectly. Maybe they're out of phase with each other??

I owned two pairs of R28F and powered them with a cheapo Insignia 100w/ch Bluetooth stereo receiver and cranking loud and hard was pretty much the only thing they were good at!

There was plenty of sub bass presence on my fav EDM tracks and the person I sold them to said "oh wow, you really don't need a sub for these, huh?" when he came to demo them.

I'm sure there's either something wrong with the wiring or receiver settings or just an unusually long break-in time. 

• Like 1