Nad 2200 amp with fortes

Fido

Though I did not have the NAD 2200, I did drive my fortes briefly with NAD separates 1130/2155 preamp/amp combo and they sounded great.  I also briefly drove the fortes with an NAD 925THX and it too sounded great.  I also drove my fortes with my NAD T773 AVR and it too sounded great.

In other words, the 2200/forte combo might just sound great.;):D

Bill

2 hours ago, willland said:

Though I did not have the NAD 2200, I did drive my fortes briefly with NAD separates 1130/2155 preamp/amp combo and they sounded great.  I also briefly drove the fortes with an NAD 925THX and it too sounded great.  I also drove my fortes with my NAD T773 AVR and it too sounded great.

In other words, the 2200/forte combo might just sound great.;):D

Bill

Thanks for the feedback Bill - I like the convenience of the modern AVR and am having trouble with losing network connection on my current Yamaha receiver so thought a new one with preamp outs could use my NAD 2200 to make the system  sound even better. The addiction is great lol

Don't be fooled by the 100W rating, the NAD 2200 has enough output to launch the Forte into low earth orbit (800W on program material into the 4Ω woofer).

It sounds OK, it is lean in the bass, a bit forward, but with no real high end.

The speaker relays frequently fail.

58 minutes ago, djk said:

Don't be fooled by the 100W rating, the NAD 2200 has enough output to launch the Forte into low earth orbit (800W on program material into the 4Ω woofer).

I read about the relays - I wonder if I should just have the amp serviced -  I've had it since new and had some cold solder joints on the relays fixed years ago - have not used the amp in past 20 yeArs - I love my Yamaha receiver but want a newer model for better wifi connection reliability - the new ones have the preamp outs and I am guessing the NAD will make the detail and soundstage even better.

4 hours ago, djk said:

I've also been looking at a NAD 2200 for sale locally to pair with my KLF-30s

Doesn't sound like a glowing recommendation. 

I was interested in it because of what I've heard about the dynamic headroom. I was expecting that to translate to more powerful bass and dynamic punch, but sounds like you don't think this is the case?

Have any idea how it would compare to my current Adcom GFA-545? I love the midrange quality of the Adcom, so maybe biamp with the NAD on the woofers and the Adcom on the horns?

This is why this forum is so great. After reading the responses and doing some research I have decided to get a new Yamaha 3060 AVR instead of a less expensive model and adding my NAD 2200 after paying to get it gone thru. Vintage is great but new is good, too. All I care about is the final sound quality and the high end Yamaha amps sound very musical