WTB KLF 30 woofer

Woofers and Tweeters

This has been brought up quite few times by KLF-30 owners....myself included.

As far as I know, Klipsch may or may not have a couple of the Eminence versions available. The last time I talked to them....they weren't sure.

Bob Crites has on his site a 12" woofer that works in the Heresy, Jubilee and says it also "works well" in the KLF -30. "Works well" kinda has me wondering. "Works great" or something along those lines would make me feel more comfortable about buying one but Bob is a stand up guy and I'll take his word for it that this is a legitimate substitute for the K-31.

A couple others here have mentioned other 12" woofers from other vendors that "might work" in te KLF-30 but these hav not been confirmed. I'd like to find out if they are in fact suitable replacements.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

What happened to your woofer?

IDK. These are being used for HT doing sub duty with Chorus II and Belle. I've not pushed these so I really am at a loss for the why. The one that's bad is extended and can't be pushed back in...I didn't get forceful. I heard a muffled sound this morning, so I pulled off the grills.. there is was. 

Anyone have any idea as to why it would remain extended?

3 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Turning that volume knob to the right too much :blink2:

MKP :-)

I haven't pushed these, but I can't say that my first pair of KLF 30 didn't - because I would be a liar :D. I did lay the ears back on them and let them run...sing lol

Thsee were in an apartment when I but them and I haven't pushed them at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Weber said:

IDK. These are being used for HT doing sub duty with Chorus II and Belle. I've not pushed these so I really am at a loss for the why. The one that's bad is extended and can't be pushed back in...I didn't get forceful. I heard a muffled sound this morning, so I pulled off the grills.. there is was. 

Yes, I have done this myself with a KLF-30 woofer, it is caused by being over-extending the cone where the coil tube comes out past the magnet gap. I was able to get mine to go back in the gap and move freely again but it had a horrible scratching sound afterwards. This is ultimately why I prefer the Chorus over the KLF-30, parts are weak and they don't play as loud. I would definitely recommend checking your crossover settings and cutting out the lower frequencies to these speakers to prevent further damage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Weber said:

Thsee were in an apartment when I but them and I haven't pushed them at all.

Have you had your coffee yet this morning?? :lol:

It don't take much at the lowest frequencies to get those cones to move a significant amount, I'd cross them over at 40-50hz at least and let the sub do the rest.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2016 at 0:22 PM, Weber said:

Eeek... using the KLF30 as subs? That may  be the problem.  While for most music material they will output gobs of bass, but LF channels on many movies have lots of low end below the 30-40 Hz port tuning on the KLF30s. Bellow the port resonance a ported woofer is uncontrolled and can easily exceed maximum excursion.  Where you hooking them up to the LF output of your HT receiver via a power amp? 

35 minutes ago, Weber said:

These were not turned up to loud levels. I'm not sending sub level watts to them, I only removed the jumpers. 

Interesting, I see what you did, now.  You removed the jumpers and sent only LF signals to the woofs, with no connection to the HF section.  This would presumably give you a mid-bass reinforcement, not true sub-woofer frequencies.  The XO would have filtered out the sub-sonic information.

James, did you have full range speakers hooked up, then added the LF section as well via the method you described?

I'm trying to reverse engineer in my head what the signal might have been doing.

• Like 1

Interesting, I see what you did, now.  You removed the jumpers and sent only LF signals to the woofs, with no connection to the HF section.  This would presumably give you a mid-bass reinforcement, not true sub-woofer frequencies. 

Correct....I did the same thing with my extra set of 30's a while back. It worked well.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1