K-691 / K-510 2-way Cornscala

geoff.

Regarding driver selection, I heard back from the wizard at Gentec, he actually CALLED me with his findings. I had left it with him whether he emailed or called.

The Klipsch K-69-A is available here, price 340 $CDN, but Fernando seemed to think there were better options elsewhere. I mentioned the B&C DE750TN, price 338 $CDN, and he said that was an excellent choice.

When I told him the Faital Pro HF200 was what I actually ordered he agreed that was an even better selection. After exchange, shipping and customs the price difference was less than a hundred bucks. Small price to pay for quality. Negligible at this point.

This gentleman took the time to answer every question I asked him. One of them was given 8 or 16 ohms, which would be a better choice for a high frequency driver? He said if it were up to him he would always pick the higher impedance driver. In a club, less ohms for more power, but at home more ohms for better control.

When I had asked Mr. Crites to put together my order he automatically quoted the 16 ohm variant.  

Bob designs his CS500 crossover to use that impedance. No surprise there!

As a relative newbie, I would have erroneously ordered an 8 ohm unit. And in so doing euchred myself!

Moral of the story? Assume nothing and ask questions.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2017 at 8:59 PM, geoff. said:

...the Jubilee's? He spoke of such a man 'round these parts...

And yes, I have been in customer service ALL my working life, and at 51 years old was left in awe with that gentleman's product AND applied knowledge and congeniality. He should have a tip jar!

Which brings me to my dealings with Mr. Crites. Another true gentleman with a wealth of knowledge and genuine character.

Life is good.

Well, I am not sure how much of a "man" I am... you would have to ask my wife. :unsure:

But yes, I do have my new boxes almost done.

I promised myself I would not play one note through them until I get the veneer laid down.

Hope to start with the veneer tomorrow.

Enjoy your new Cornscala, I love mine!

• Klipsch Employees
On December 8, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Chris A said:

See http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KI-396-SMA-II-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf

Crossover frequency: 1 kHz

The K-510 horn is preferred.  It can be crossed as low as 500-600 Hz using steep slope filters (which are also preferred).  However, the compression drivers that Klipsch uses on their Professional series may not be what most home enthusiasts would prefer in terms of sound quality--for instance:

What????  Chris you are totally wrong on this. 

• Klipsch Employees
On December 23, 2016 at 11:07 PM, geoff. said:

Chris, I sincerely thank you for your constructive and thorough advice on this project.

I secured a pair of the K-510 horns this week from Gentec International and will be cutting the motorboards on my pair of '84 Cornwall 1's to accomodate them over the holidays.

I will be keeping the K-33-E woofers for now, so that only(!) leaves the drivers for the K-510's and the 2-way crossovers left on the drawing board.

As far as I can tell there are no dealers north of the border for Faital drivers so I am leaning towards the B&C drivers available from  QComponents, the B&C DE750 or the B&C DE750TN.

The incredibly knowledgeable gentleman I dealt with at Gentec International seemed to think he might find a suitable driver from the current Klipsch line-up. I will know in the new year.

I just received new crossovers for my '86 Cornwall 2's from Bob Crites this week so I may ask him his thoughts on a passive for the two drivers I am considering. Active crossovers aren't on my radar, yet, but they are increasingly in my thoughts. Kind of like Cornwalls were after I brought home my first pair of Heresy's ten years ago. 

Bought horns only from gentec. Hmmmm. Interesting.....

7 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

What????  Chris you are totally wrong on this. 

I'm wrong on the crossover frequency quoted from the Klipsch website?

I'm wrong that the K-510 is preferred over third party horns?

I'm wrong that the K-510 can be crossed as low as 500-600 Hz using a 2" compression driver (like a JubScala)?

I'm wrong that the HF200 on an K-510 has been used by Stevenarrow using passive crossovers?

Which of these is incorrect, Roy?

DavidH had asked me in a PM(?) how much the K510 horns cost me.

I thought I had responded through my email, but after checking my sent messages folder I see it went to "<forums-no-reply@lipsch.com>" so in future I will answer all questions in the thread to avoid excluding or offending anyone. 

The more information we all have, the more qualified our decisions.

David, and others, the K510 horns were 79 bucks each.

I should add, tongue in cheek, that everything where I live gets a hefty 13% tax added. It helps pays for healthcare and lavish, ridiculously unsupervised social benefits while the rest of us earn our keep. Healthy educated people make healthy educated choices. For that I am grateful.

I have since enquired about the venerable K402, they are special order, likely added to the next production run, and and go for 570 bucks a pop!

• Like 2

I assume that all prices quoted are in $CDN? 

If so, that means (currently):

$59.75(US) for the K-510, and

$427.50(US) for the K-402.

Chris

The K-510 is a very good horn--if you can get it a la mode.  It requires EQ since it is a constant coverage horn (as Roy has described constant coverage).

It's a bit expensive if you have to buy a driver attached to it...thus adding something on the order of $400-$500.

47 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The K-510 is a very good horn--if you can get it a la mode.  It requires EQ since it is a constant coverage horn (as Roy has described constant coverage).

It's a bit expensive if you have to buy a driver attached to it...thus adding something on the order of $400-$500.

I think you meant a la carte. ^_^ Not sure. Maybe. 

Where is a source for K-510's in the USA? Buying with the drivers is a bit of a turn off. But I've spent money on dumber things....

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 8:19 AM, Chris A said:

The K-510 is a very good horn--if you can get it a la mode

On 1/5/2017 at 9:11 AM, cincymat said:

I think you meant a la carte.

If it's Greaters, I'd take it either way!

Use it as a large Sunday dish....consume the contents then, consume the sound!

The CS500 crosses at 500hz.

No EQ is being used.

The Faital Pro HF200/HF140 is the most linear driver available for less than the price of good used car. The slight peak right about where my hearing drops off is icing on the cake.

I now have ANOTHER pair of the exact same Cornwall's that were modded for this project that I will be able to A/B the finished product with. 

Just this past weekend a motivated seller on kijiji had them listed for 500 bucks DELIVERED! I really didn't need another pair, but the price was right! It would have been foolish NOT to buy them. When I called him he was on his way to a buyer that low-balled him to $450. It turned out I was half an hour closer and we settled on 520 bucks. After the comparison maybe my 12 year old son can fit them in his room at his mother's place ...revenge is a dish best served LOUD... LOL!