Advice re cutting LaScala doghouse angles

longdrive03

Haven't been able to start with all that's going on. Funny how the end of the year and Christmas break has been so hectic. Mom in hospital, I've been sick, wife and daughter were t-boned in a car wreck last week (all ok), can't finance another one right now because had just started on refinancing house (but found her another car), waiting on insurance check, etc. Always something life wants to throw at you, huh?

I've got a new pair of K-33's but that's it. Going to order a new Dynaco VTA ST-70 amp here soon and, if it takes what I have to another level, I may hold off longer on the Belle's. Hard to say yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment Rich.  Every now and then I screw around and something comes out okay!

I subscribe to the Native Indian rule of woodworking.  I always make at least one mistake because only God is perfect!!!!

At least that's my story and I'm stickin to it!

HDBR, the riser is attached using pocket screw to the bottom of the bass bin - not to the bottom cover over the woofer hatch.  My friend/customer had another set of LS redone with a riser that wasn't made the way he asked so we made changes to this pair.  What the heck it's just more weight!!!

Here's a pic of the bottom hatch cover in place.  Tonight I'll stand this sucker up and do some final finish work and grill frame mods and then start the rub down later this week and then wax on/wax off procedure.

Schu, the customer is a friend that has always wanted LS with 1" BB ply so that is what we're doing.

IMG_6827.JPG

Got the speaker upright last night and put another coat of finish on.  Woofer is installed.  Need to complete finish and rub down work, reset grill frame magnets from inside mid horn cabinet, trim grill frame down and insert new magnets, install xover and speakers, test, deliver, and start on second one!

IMG_6836.JPG

19 hours ago, muel said:

Did anyone test the LaScala at different heights?  I experimented with raising (solid surface... no feet) to different heights and it changed the sound quite a bit.

Very sharp by the way!

I ended up using a 3/4 strip of plywood under the front feet on mine though may make some risers in the future.

The sound changes dramatically having the squawker in earshot like the Klipschorn.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.  About to wrap us second LS.  Hope it looks like the first one!!!!.  I have decided that I can drop my health club membership and just lift big chunks of 1" BB plywood instead.  May that stuff is heavy and hard to grip.  

These are coming along and hop to have top attached and veneer on outside panels and solid front trim done this weekend.

I'm ready to go back to simple rectangular speakers for a while!!

IMG_7017.JPG

• Like 1