Marantz 2285b pre outs

Tschwahh

I have an old marantz 2285b and want to know if anybody with a similar receiver has ever used the pre outs and powered the preamp with a higher wattage amp. If so, to what benefit? What setup would you recommend i use to power my 2285b if i did do that? Would using a tube poweramp change the sound much vs a ss poweramp considering the preamp is ss? Klispsch kg4, sansui sp-3000 are my speaker options..... Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

If you can, do a comparison between powering your speakers direct from the 2285B, and then using the pre-outs to another amp, and then make a decision as to how you want to use it.  Any specific reason you want to use the receiver as a pre-amp, or, just experimenting?  I have this specific receiver, and think it sounds pretty great on it's own.....YMMV

Thanks. Yep...just curious and was wondering what improvements i can make on what is already a beautiful sounding receiver. I've heard more watts can really bring out the quality at lower volumes also. Maybe setting it up as separates would be fun...especially if i found the same era marantz amp...

2 minutes ago, Tschwahh said:

Thanks. Yep...just curious and was wondering what improvements i can make on what is already a beautiful sounding receiver. I've heard more watts can really bring out the quality at lower volumes also. Maybe setting it up as separates would be fun...especially if i found the same era marantz amp...

What you really want to find is the same era Marantz integrated amp, like a 1250.  Using the 2285 as a preamp into a separate Marantz amp is honestly not going to gain you much.....The integrated amps are really special.  BTW, what speakers are you driving?

Ironic to see this posted today. Just last night, I connected a tube preamp via the "main in" jacks on my Marantz 2270 and the sound was disappointing, a bit bright and strident. This morning, a friend suggested that I replace the jumpers and connect the preamp in via the aux input on the receiver. The sound is now unbelievably full, smooth and with a seductive 3D soundstage thru my Heresy 3's.

Give that a whirl if you can. :)

• Like 1