how do they do that?

i know i might sound dumb but oh well...

how do speakers work? i can not understand how such small movement can make such rich loud sound! how can a sub put out constant air and blow so much? how do speakers work!!!.... and how do gardens grow? he he he.

thanks

-justin

NEXT TIME: How do inkjet printers put out ink?

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

justin_tx_16 : why is the the sky blue?

Why do I always get the hard questions?

In answer to your question, the blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

As you look closer to the horizon, the sky appears much paler in color. To reach you, the scattered blue light must pass through more air. Some of it gets scattered away again in other directions. Less blue light reaches your eyes. The color of the sky near the horizon appears paler or white.

Seeing that I am a nice guy tonight, I'll even answer the unasked bonus question.

WHY IS THE SUNSET RED?

As the sun begins to set, the light must travel farther through the atmosphere before it gets to you. More of the light is reflected and scattered. As less reaches you directly, the sun appears less bright. The color of the sun itself appears to change, first to orange and then to red. This is because even more of the short wavelength blues and greens are now scattered. Only the longer wavelengths are left in the direct beam that reaches your eyes.

The sky around the setting sun may take on many colors. The most spectacular shows occur when the air contains many small particles of dust or water. These particles reflect light in all directions. Then, as some of the light heads towards you, different amounts of the shorter wavelength colors are scattered out. You see the longer wavelengths, and the sky appears red, pink or orange.

c>

.... and how do gardens grow?

Sorry almost forgot that one. The answer is s#*t!c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

lol hofy.

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

OOpps! Almost forgot to answer the original question.

How do speakers work?

Speakers convert electrical energy into sound waves. The electrical energy comes from an amplifier. An amlifier is required to boost the signal from its current source because the orignal current is too weak to render audible sound. Amplifiers use transistors to take a weak signal with a certain frequency and amplitude and puts out a signal with the same frequency but with a larger amplitude, making it a stronger signal.

The electrical current generated from the amplifier travels through wires to the terminal strip. The current then travels through the flex wire to the voice coil. The current flowing through the voice coil turns it into an electromagnet. The magnetic field created by the voice coil attracts to one pole of the magnet, and repels from the other, depending on the positive or negative waves from the amplifier.

We all know that unlike magnetic fields attract and like magnetic fields repel. If the wave is positive, unlike magnetic fields form between the voice coil and the magnet, causing the cone to move outward and vice versa. As the voice coil and the magnet structure repel each other, a force is exerted from the magnet structure to the voice coil. Since the voice coil is connected to the cone, they both move forward as a single unit. The cone acts like a piston, compressing and evacuating the air immediately around it, thus producing sound.

c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Incrdibly informative posts Hofy (ps is that Hofy with a hard or soft o sound). I have a set of musical questions that have haunted me since the mid 70's perhaps someone can help..

How can you mend a broken heart?

How can a loser ever win?

How can you stop the sun from shining?

What makes the world go round?

No need to answer just sing along if you like.....c'mon everybody from the top.....

Here's the answer to your next question...

"How do inkjet printers put out ink?"

Tiny drops of ink are charged (positive or negative) and sent through what are called deflection plates. These deflection plates control the direction of the drop by varying the electric field around it. This way, the computer or printer controls how the ink is put out....

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. S:

is that Hofy with a hard or soft o sound.

Sounds just like 'Coffee', and no I dont like coffee. c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Itz not really that they are charged with electricity... just given a certain amount of charge. Almost everything in the world is made up of charges wether they're positive, negative, or neutral. There'z 2 ways that the printer can work...

1)The ink drop is shot out and the computer is able to control the amount of charge itz given. This ink then goes through a fixed electric field caused by some deflecting plates that "guide" it onto the paper.

or...

2)The ink drop is shot out and given a fixed amount of charge, then computer controls the electric field that "guides" the drop onto the paper.

Both ways would work, but the bottom line is if the charge is positive and the electric field is oriented a certain way... letz say both plates are negative, one less negative than the other... then the drop will be attracted towards the more negative side (opposites attract). Controling this field or the charge on the drops can be used to shoot out the ink in almost any direction.