First post! Ready to buy some Klipsch RP280F Speakers

mr clean

Wanting to get the 280s with a 2 channel receiver and a cd player to get started. Wanting bluetooth and will run it with the tv also. I know about 2 channel stereo and had a few decent ones in the 70s and 80s but a lot of the things I'm not sure of is what I need to get music off the computer. Do some receivers have dac built in. Im thinking about a yamaha R-S700BL receiver but I am open to better options. I would think 100 watts per channel would be plenty from what I've been reading. Im happy to be here and please be easy on this klipsch newb. Peace!  

You can add a digital output to your PC(optical or maybe coaxial) or you can use an external USB DAC such as an Audioquest Dragonfly or maybe a Schiit product. 

There are some integrated 2ch amplifiers with USB connections from PS Audio, Peachtree, Teac, etc.... I think Yamaha has one?

• Like 1

I ordered the speakers direct from klipsch today! Im pretty fired up!! Ordered some kord ultra flex 12 gauge  speaker wires and plugs from knukonceptz  Thinking more about a power amp after doing some reading. That way the amp still be ok to use no mater what comes down the road tech wise. Just a few more questions. What is the power range that you would want to power these. 120 watts rms or so min? Thinking about going to magnolia at best buy for some guidance on what else I need. Still kind of foggy as knowing what else I need for what I'm wanting to do.  Last question. If I do buy a amp online who would you deal with? Thanks in advance as I feel like a mental midget as far as what I really need for the rest of my system. Peace!!

400 dollars or so for a dac and 1200 max!! for a amp 900 would be better but 1200 is doable . Will wait abit for a cd player. A guy at work has a older denton cd player I may get if it looks and sounds ok. Thanks for any help I receive. Im counting on you guys lol. Peace!

I would advise to slow down.  It seems like you're jumping in with both feet.

Just get the speakers and hook them up whatever older receiver you have on hand.  It can be feed with the aux out of your computer sound card or a headphone out of a laptop.

You'll be able to play CDs and stuff on YouTube (much of which is very good).  There is some wisdom and enjoyment in building your system slowly.

Later you can look into DAC's and receivers and Blu-Ray, networking, etc..  No need to rush. 

Regarding purchasing a receiver, I'd stick with someone local to you which has a liberal return policy and keep boxes and receipts and deadlines for return - exchange.   Years ago I purchased a receiver from Frys.  It was too noisy and they accepted a return with no questions asked.  Best Buy has been good to me too.  They were small items. Microcenter has been good to me with computers.  Again these were local shops and I didn't want to mess with shipping.

Welcome to the forum.

WMcD 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mr clean said:

for a amp 900 would be better but 1200 is doable .

If that is the case, I would not hesitate to recommend this.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas1000bl/yamaha-a-s1000-140-watt-stereo-integrated-stereo-amplifier/1.html

I absolutely love the way it drives my RB-75's.

Add a Chromecast Audio($35.00) to the mix and you are set for a while.

Bill

• Like 1

I like Yamaha and that is a impressive amp! Trying to slow down alittle but still wanting to get some sound in the house. What are your thoughts on the outlaw rr2150 receiver with the bluetooth option. Doesn't look perfect but does seem to do most things right and looks to have a pretty nice amp section. I would think power wise it would be enough to wake up the 280s. I have an old realistic receiver made by fostex I can use until I get something better but the rr2150 and a nice denon cd player to me anyhow looks like a good start. Please tell me this doesn't sound like a good option for some reason im not seeing. I want nice but my ears have been in a loud chemical plant for 30 plus years so my ears are far from perfect. Just wanting a very good sounding station that puts a smile on my face. Peace! 

Edited by mr clean

7 hours ago, mr clean said:

What are your thoughts on the outlaw rr2150 receiver with the bluetooth option. Doesn't look perfect but does seem to do most things right and looks to have a pretty nice amp section. I would think power wise it would be enough to wake up the 280s.

I have not heard the Outlaw but have heard pretty good things about it.

Where are you located?

Bill

• Like 1

I have the RP-280F's running in a 2 channel setup.  The amp I'm using is a Yamaha A-S500, and I love the setup.  The 700 you're looking at would be more than sufficient to do justice to these speakers.  In my opinion, a sub is not necessary.  I listen to classic rock, jazz, and classical for the most part and these definitely dig low enough for me.  If you're into hip-hop, or whatever they're calling it these days, you probably would want a sub.  Anyway, like one of the above posts mentioned, maybe slow down a bit and just start with these, your amp, and a CD player or turntable.  Give 'em a break in period of about 90 hours and I think you'll be pleased!

• Like 1

Well I guess I didn't slow down. I bought a emotiva pt-100 preamp.  A emotiva basx a-300 150 watt amp. A erc-3 CD player of the same brand and their blue tooth add on. Anyone using their products? Wife just came in and told me the speakers just arrived. Going to go check them out now!!!!

• Like 2

All I have in common are the speakers, but I think you're in for a great time!  Enjoy and report back.  Remember to allow about 90 hours or so for speaker break in.  It may be mythological to some, but mine seemed to open up a bit at around that point.  There's nothing special that you need to do, just saying don't judge too quickly if they don't blow you away right out of the box.  Having said that, mine were such an improvement that I loved 'em from day one!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 6:02 AM, willland said:

I have not heard the Outlaw but have heard pretty good things about it.

Where are you located?

Bill

I live in southwestern indiana. Outside a town called mt vernon. 15 miles west of evansville.   

Welcome mr clean, you're off to a great start with all that gear. There are lots of friendly knowledgable folks around here. So you're not far from Owensboro? I don't know what's in the water down there, but that area has produced a lot of world class racers. Hang around...new guy buys the brew:D

I get over to owenboro from time to time. I like the big dipper and the wonder whip. Old school at its finest. You guys have some great bbq. I like to smoke meat and loves me some bbq!! About the only talent I  think I have is smoking/grilling. If you have never tried it try daves sticky pig in madisonville. Very mean!!

Got it all hooked up after the preamp, amp, and cd player showed up. Ive heard about 10 songs and yes I'm smiling ear to ear. Simon and garfunkel, stevie wonder,adel,pink floyd! It sounds like  what it will sound like when your walking into heaven!! Im very impressed with the whole system and thanks for putting up with me!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Got it all hooked up after the preamp, amp, and cd player showed up. Ive heard about 10 songs and yes I'm smiling ear to ear. Simon and garfunkel, stevie wonder,adel,pink floyd! It sounds like  what it will sound like when your walking into heaven!! Im very impressed with the whole system and thanks for putting up with me!

Very good. It's very satisfying when your system comes together. Enjoy.