Recommendations for speakers?

Beachboy

9 hours ago, IbizaFlame said:

Not sure where you live but, here are some Heresy in Kansas City for $400:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/5914073934.html

You think just like me; put the candy right in front of Beachboy!

Heresy's in Olathe

Heresy's in Dodge City

Heresy's in Dodge City (Same as above?) Sounds like a motivated seller...

kg4's in Littleton. These play lower and louder than Heresy I's and that's not to disparage the Heresy, which can stand on their own.

I see no shortage of the ability to scratch Beachboy's itch for Klipsch in Kansas. He owes it to himself to hear both the Heresy's and the kg4.

P.S. I also encourage you to check eBay using "Klipsch" as the search word and sorting the results by "Distance Nearest First". You'll soon find a good deal with a "Local Pickup Only" option.

As far as size, Hersey's aren't that big. I have Hersey's and Forte's I love the Forte's but the Hersey's sound really nice with a sub. I think you would really love the Quartets. Go listen to them.  I use the Forte's for 2-channel, and have three Hersey's a cross the front, with a sub, for home theater. 

If space is a concern, I'll put in a good word for the Heresy. I find them the most manageable to position because they belong in corners and close to walls. My listening room is small, my pair of RP-280Fs have so little breathing room that they sound like bookshelf speakers. The Heresies, especially when placed in a corner, transcend the room both sonically and spatially. The only compromise would be that you'll want a subwoofer, but I think hearing them makes any compromise seem reasonable.

I've had RB-81ii's for over a year in a dedicated 2-channel set-up, first with an Onkyo 50Wpc stereo receiver and CDP (TX-8020 & C-7030), along with a JBL SUB 550P subwoofer. This was in my main music listening room - my 11' x 12' x 9' office. I needed the receiver upstairs in my bonus/hobby room, so I got another C-7030 CDP and a 50 Wpc Emotiva power amp (a-100 mini-X)and had the best stereo I had ever owned. The subwoofer wasn't needed. Then, two months back I found a pair of VG+ walnut '77-vintage Heresys... oops. I ended up buying the latest version of my simple 50 Wpc power amp, the Emotiva A-100 BAS-X ($195 on sale) - BIG WOW! I can pot up one amp for the big bookshelf speakers - or the other one for my Heresys... mostly, I now listen mainly to the Heresys. I still have the sub - but I don't need it. It will join the big Polk and smaller Sony subs in the aforementioned hobby/bonus room, also known as a boneyard for older audio equipment.

There is something to be said about my simple system - a CD player, a power amp with just a volume control, and a pair of Heresys (Or RB-81ii's, which are book shelf versions of the RF-82ii's the op is considering.). My music ranges from Stan Getz/Sergio Mendes/Dave Brubeck to von Karajan leading Berlin Philharmonic in Tchaikovsky to Eric Clapton to CSN to CCR to Loreena McKennitt to Bonnie Raitt to, gasp, Adele! I am not missing much in low bass with either speaker, I feel. I don't need an FM tuner - and AM is at best an afterthought these days in AVR's, etc. I have a decent table radio for local AM & FM station listening (A Tivoli Audio Model One - the best $50 evil-bay radio purchase ever!) and several short wave radios (... driving Klipsch R-14M's - another hobby!) for 'distant' reception.

Don't worry about age-related hearing problems - they are a fact of life, it seems. I have tinnitus as well. I have seen a few more passages around the sun (I am 68.) and I am retired, so money is in short supply. Still, I'd find some way to afford a pair of Klipsch Heresys - or RF-82ii's - sooner than later! My Heresys came from CL - and were a steal at <$400/pr.

• Like 1

Beachboy you sound a lot like me age wise and what you want your system to do. Ive only heard a few klipschs in my life and they all sounded great but had a few systems in the 70s and 80s. I went with the new rp280fs because they are big speakers that take up a small space. Love the older wood models as you but these are what im getting ready to try but I'm waiting for the rest of my station to arrive. Most say these have plentyof bass without a sub. These guys on here all have a lot of knoledge so I'm just a guy that loves music. I will let you know more when the rest of my system arrives in a few days. The rest of the stuff I'm waiting on is all emotiva gear. Give it a look. Peace!!

Edited by mr clean

On 12/13/2016 at 5:48 PM, Justus said:

I dunno.......... Have you heard a set of em yet?

Klipsch are a love em or hate em type deal with the horns.

To be honest, the only larger Klipsch speakers I've listened to, and that was very briefly, were a set of R-28F's at Best Buy, which were the best speakers that Best Buy carried in the store.  They sounded OK, but it's impossible to evaluate a speaker from a one minute demonstration in a big box store (using a smartphone as the source and the teenage salesman's choice of music).  I recently purchased a set of Klipsch R-15M bookshelf speakers when they were at half price during the Black Friday sale.  They sound quite nice to me (for their size).  I assume the tweeter is the same on these as on the RF-82's?  I've only had the R-15's for a week, and have mostly used them for background holiday music so far.

Do the Heresy or Quartets use foam speaker surrounds, which would pose a concern when buying used?  Another concern when buying used is getting them home --- all I have is a mid-sized sedan. 

If I drag my feet much longer the RF-82's are going be off sale, and that would take them out of contention until they went back on sale again (next Black Friday?).  Again, thanks a bunch for you guys' ideas and recommendations.  I'll definitely be checking into a couple of those used offers that were mentioned.

The R-15M's use an aluminum tweeter.  The RF-82's use a titanium tweeter.  They're totally different systems and will sound 100% different, with the 82 excelling in almost every way other than footprint.

As for buying used:  I had a 2006 Taurus when I bought my 81' Heresy's on Craigslist, if they can fit in there I'm sure they'd fit in your car too.

Beachboy welcome,

35 minutes ago, Beachboy said:

Do the Heresy or Quartets use foam speaker surrounds, which would pose a concern when buying used?  Another concern when buying used is getting them home --- all I have is a mid-sized sedan

Beachboy welcome,

As long as you are aware that the 82's are rear ported meaning they need to be a little away from wall to breathe, and you are getting a decent price from them, I say why not. Now, I would listen for a few days to break them in to your ears and then we can talk about if you think you need  something different than your Sony.

The speakers you asked about use rubber, not foam. Either one would fairly easily be transported in your car.

3 hours ago, Beachboy said:

Do the Heresy or Quartets use foam speaker surrounds, which would pose a concern when buying used?  Another concern when buying used is getting them home --- all I have is a mid-sized sedan. 

No; the Heresy woofer surrounds are not foam. I've also never read of them rotting. And Heresy's WILL fit in the back seat of a sedan. I bought mine used and both fit in the back seat of my Saturn.

Lot's of good advice already, but I'll vouch for the RF82 II's if you want full-range and no sub.  Yes, they are big, black monoliths and will never make the cover of "House Beautiful", but they will rock your house beautifully, I promise.  And they're a great value at $718/pair.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Well, it's been almost a year since I last posted, so I figure I should update you guys on what I've done ---- which is precisely NOTHING.  I had the RF82-II's ordered from Crutchfield, (at half price) but got cold feet and refused delivery and had them sent back.  The size and weight of them was a huge concern.  I don't want a tall monolithic box dominating my small living room, and being a senior citizen and single, handling the weight of those speakers would be a big concern.  I know specs are misleading, but the RF82's didn't have any better specs than my old and much cheaper Infinities.  Plus, I may be relocating to a condo in the next year, so I may need an even smaller sound system than I currently have.  I know Klipsch speakers are on their big sale this time of year, but without hearing them in my own room, I hate to invest in anything that doesn't sound appreciably better than I already have.  Repackaging and returning stuff is a huge hassle. Plus, I could always bring up my old JBL L-100's from the basement, which were primo stuff in their day.  Around here, there is virtually no quality used equipment on Craig's List.  And Best Buy is the ONLY audio retailer, such as that is.  So I'm still in a quandry. 

• Like 1

Well, where do you go from here? Sounds like maybe a set of something Klipsch is one way. A good listen at a Klipsch members home?

Guess the JBL's may have another go! Meanwhile and thanks for the update. When you get into your next place, maybe then. Cheers!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, Beachboy said:

I'm an older guy firmly committed to two channel stereo for my music listening.  Music interests are classic rock, primarily from FM radio and CD. I do like to occasionally crank it up loud. My current speakers are Infinity SM-105's, which are two way systems with 10" woofers. Frequency response is 35-20,000 Hz.  I previously had JBL L-100's. I'm driving them with a 30 year old Sony 60 wpc receiver.  I may upgrade to an 80 wpc Onkyo stereo receiver in the near figure.  I'm kind of distressed that there seem to no longer be any traditional full range stereo speakers out there.  I don't want to use a subwoofer to get the bass response.  I want a full range speaker capable of deep bass and able to play loud.  I'm leaning towards the Klipsch RF-82 II.  Any thoughts?  I'm also kind of bummed that it seems almost impossible to get speakers in walnut or other woodgrain finishes.  I hate to have black monolithic slabs dominating my small-ish living room, which is outfitted with oak furniture.  Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations you may have.

https://lawrence.craigslist.org/eld/d/the-house-of-sound-classic/6386611805.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-bozak-speakers-ls-200/6395972169.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/d/pair-of-mcintosh-stereo/6387526313.html

https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-heresy-speakers/6394143376.html

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-advent-baby-advent/6400407778.html

Based upon the info in your update, your best bet is smaller satellite speakers and a subwoofer, because of the ease of moving them around and the sub will provide the low half of the full range you seek. They'll also be a smaller package overall which will address your size concerns. I know you said local craigslist isn't offering much, so I'd either continue to be patient or widen your search. Keeping this Klipsch related and since you asked on this forum, keep looking for one of the smaller kg series speakers (2.2, 1.5, etc.) and you should be able to find them in the wood veneer you want. The sub woofer may be harder to locate  in a real wood finish, but they're usually tucked away in a corner so it may matter less to you.

You've got a tall order seeking a speaker that's easier to move around yet is not too large AND plays low and loud. In your case, you'll have to make trade-offs.

If you want to save money, just continue to use the Infinity's or bring the JBL's up from the basement.

• Like 1

A subwoofer usually can be hidden on the side wall, or behind a couch, etc.  If it crosses over at 80 Hz or below, you probably won't be able to locate it with your ears.

As one old older guy to another, you may be able to hear higher than you think.  It depends, in part, on how much loud sound you have been around (industry without ear protection, war, live rock bands up close), and how much smoking you've done.  It also can help to sit on-axis.  My pet hypothesis is that people seem to have lost more hearing when measured at threshold, like ear doctors do, than with loud transients.  Cymbal crashes sound the same to me as they always have, and soft music always had very high frequencies rolled off, thanks to Fletcher/Munson.

My location problem is due to the fact that I only have 24" on each side of the TV stand to place speakers.  No way to get wiring to a subwoofer to the side or back, as doorways prohibit that, in addition to the fact I can't access anything below the floor (fully finished basement).  I live in a very small town, and likely I'm the only guy owning a decent stereo system, so no way to audition other Klipsch speakers locally.  Might have to follow John Warren's links and plan on a road trip to Kansas City to check out the options there.  But I definitely appreciate all your ideas and comments, guys! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beachboy said:

My location problem is due to the fact that I only have 24" on each side of the TV stand to place speakers.  No way to get wiring to a subwoofer to the side or back, as doorways prohibit that, in addition to the fact I can't access anything below the floor (fully finished basement)

I've seen people neatly string their subwoofer cable up the side of the door frame, across the top, and down the other side.  If the (single) cable insulation is the same color as the door frame trim, it might not be readily noticeable.

Beachboy said:

"Might have to follow John Warren's links and plan on a road trip to Kansas City to check out the options there."

Response:

image.png.2f6220920f560e6089e5701550246b78.png

Ev'rythin's up to date in Kansas City
They've gone about as fur as they c'n go!

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

I've seen people neatly string their subwoofer cable up the side of the door frame, across the top, and down the other side.

Just go to the hardware store and buy one of those cable management strips. They come in colors and are wide enough to span virtually any doorway. I've got a 6ft. one in tan color with 3 pairs of speaker wires in it. Looks totally unobtrusive, matching the tan carpet. They come in a rolled up package, and take a week or more to flatten out. 

• Like 1