Epic CF-4 version 1s in Northern Virginia

Alpha Lima

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You don't see Cherry all that often.

The asking price is about double the fair market price, IMO.

I agree. $1500 is mint LaScala territory. I feel like its definitely a buyers market for CF and KG speakers right now with them moving slowly and even some nice 5.5s sitting on the market for $325 here in UT. Maybe its the low WAF for normal buyers while the collectors go more after the Heritage and Extended Heritage?

8 minutes ago, twk123 said:

I agree. $1500 is mint LaScala territory. I feel like its definitely a buyers market for CF and KG speakers right now with them moving slowly and even some nice 5.5s sitting on the market for $325 here in UT. Maybe its the low WAF for normal buyers while the collectors go more after the Heritage and Extended Heritage?

That's a good question, and a good point.

The Epic series is now past 20 years old and even though the sound passes the test of time, it's a very conventional looking box.  What I'm saying is the classic box style is basically the same now as it was then, therefore the question becomes "what can I get for my $1500?"  There are a lot of good, new speakers with warranties competing in that price range.

OTOH the La Scala is unique with it's horn driven characteristic sound.  I think that may be the premium for which people are willing to pay.

• Like 2

I have been looking for a perfect pair of Epic CF-4 cherry speakers for years - I cannot seem to ever find someone with them.  I emailed the person in VA and offered more than the asking price - no response.  If someone knows or has a pair of Cherry CF-4 version 1 speakers and needs a buyer - I would pay top dollar for them.  So frustrating to find these to only have the seller be non-responsive.  

1 hour ago, sabeous said:

I have been looking for a perfect pair of Epic CF-4 cherry speakers for years - I cannot seem to ever find someone with them.

Those would have been expensive at the asking price, but I've not seen a pair of cherry CF-4's in the last 3 years I've been aware of them existing.  If you don't mind me asking, what is your interest in this exact CF-4 and cherry finish? 

I know there's a story here.  B)

+++

1 hour ago, sabeous said:

I emailed the person in VA and offered more than the asking price - no response.

I saw where the listing has now expired.  I'm guessing the seller did not have much response to his CL listing and lost interest, probably not even checking his emails.

Hang in there and keep checking CL in that area.  I think we might see these for sale again. 

Thanks for asking Dave - here is the back story: In 1994 I went into a local Hi-Fi store called Magnolia Hi-Fi - a dream store for a kid in college.  I had two jobs - one to put myself through college and another to save up for a Hi-Fi system.  By the time I had enough money to buy my dream speakers over two years had passed - it was fall of 1996.  The Epic line speakers were being replaced - and all I could get my hands on were a pair of CF-3 and a pair of CF-2's.. At the time I didn't know about the various versions - I simply thought they were the same.

So I still use my original speakers - in fact I have joked with my wife that they'll have to build my casket from the wood from the speakers.  They are all cherry - nearly perfect - and a part of a dream I had starting 22 years ago.  Once I learned about the various versions I have tried to find a pair of series one CF-4's in cherry.  I would love to have them as my main's and to have my CF-3's pick up the rear.  I currently use them in an Atmos 11.1 configuration.  

So for me it it really isn't about the money - it's about finding the right speakers to close the loop on something I started a couple of decades ago.  Hope you and your family enjoy the Holidays!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well I kept pulling up Craigslist for Washington DC - and found a new ad with the CF-4's - emailed the gentleman and got a response.  For CF-4's in cherry, version 1 with the original boxes the price was more than fair at $1500 - these speakers are so rare that is once in a lifetime event.  Never negotiated - never questioned the price - and I hope I help set the value bar for what Epic speakers should sell for.  They are the most unique of the Klipsch speakers - people should value them as such.  

If anyone else ever wants to ship large speakers we went through YRC freight.  The speakers were placed in their original box and those into Uhaul wardrobe boxes - fit like a glove.  They then wrapped the boxes with clear shipping wrap and we palletized them standing up - with a no stacking requirement.  Boxes made it from DC to Seattle in a week - not a scratch.

It was like opening up a Christmas gift when your 4 years old....mint condition cherry CF-4's - version 1.  My CF-3's will now move to surround duty - going to be great for the movies.

Thank-you for those who keep an eye out for these and post them - that made the difference for me - I really appreciate it!

• Like 2

Beautiful!  A pristine set of CF-4 version 1, the Holy Grail of the Epic series.

Welcome to the Epic Owner's club.  B)

+++

I think a lot of people would be interested in your opinion about the sound of the CF-3 versus the CF-4.  Those that have them rave about the sound but own only one or the other, usually not both. 

After you've had a chance to listen to the CF-4 for a while I for one would to hear a compare and contrast between it and the CF-3.  I think others would too.

In the meantime, enjoy.  :)

Good idea,  I also would like to hear of the differences between the 3 and the 4.  What speaker do you use as your center channel in your theater.  I am planning to get another CF3 to sit on its side between the pair I already have in mine. 

I thought the same thing - since I moved the speakers around I have two CF-2's that ar no longer used in my system.  Currently I use a KV-4 center and KSP-S6 surrounds.

I am not sure how a horn turned sideways would impact the center channel - have you ever tried it?  I think the CF-2 and the KV-4 use the same size horn.

It will act in the same way as the KV4, only it will put out a much bigger sound presentation with more of a full range capability.  I haven't tried it myself as of yet, though I will at some point.   If you have the space beneath your screen, I would try one of your CF3 as a center channel and see how it sounds. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, sabeous said:

Good call on sharing a few of the differences - I might start a thread and share a few thoughts.  Here are the CF-4's, 3 and 2 side by side.  The 4 is sitting on a 2" isolation lift.

IMG_3521.JPG

Pics with the grilles off, please! Love looking at the drivers, horns and ports on my CF-3s & CF-4s!