Presenting the "Little Smoothie" mono SET amps!

tube fanatic

Continuing the theme of very tiny, flea-power, SETs is the Little Smoothie!  The idea for this amp came from a guy who wanted to be able to roll lots of inexpensive tubes.  It is designed to use the 6AQ5 or any of its numerous variants (see schematic).  It can also be constructed with an octal socket which is wired for the 6V6 or any of its variants.  If done that way, a pair of adapters can be purchased on Ebay which allows the use of any of the 6AQ5 family of tubes as well as the 6CM6.  The options for tube rolling become almost limitless if done that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-6CM6-to-6V6GT-tube-converter-adapter-/191709523633?hash=item2ca2c72eb1:g:3kAAAOSwo0JWOwww

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-NEW-Tube-adaptor-6AQ5-to-6V6-free-shipping-world-/291818672719?hash=item43f1bf924f:g:5QgAAOSwUdlWdNzZ

Power output, and distortion, is similar to that of the Taters.  In this case it's about 730 milliwatts.  Again, this is more than enough for many applications.

The sound of this amp is also excellent and not significantly different from that of the Taters.  And, the cost of construction is only slightly higher due to the extra tube and socket.

So, here's another chance to build an amp which will interface beautifully with most Klipsch speakers.  

I posted the pdf schematic first, so hopefully it won't be lost with the pictures.

And now the necessary disclaimer: 

MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT FORGET THAT TUBE AMPS OPERATE ON VOLTAGES WHICH CAN KILL YOU!  DO NOT BUILD THESE AMPS IF YOU ARE NOT WELL EXPERIENCED IN WORKING WITH SUCH VOLTAGES IN A SAFE MANNER.

Maynard

Little-Smoothie-SET--9.pdf

smoothie closeup.JPG

smoothies underside.JPG

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jim said:

How would those go with a pair of RB-25's?

It depends on how loudly you want them to play, and where you will sit when listening.  At 6 feet you should be fine at levels up to around 80 db, and still have a few db of clean headroom for the louder passages.  Do you already have these?  If so, how are they with your 4 wpc SEP?

Maynard

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Steely Dan's Aja'  is playing on Maynard's Little Smoothies in my shop as I write this post.  His reputation is beyond reproach so I needn't gush like a fanboy.  For what it is worth the transaction was painless and quick with absolutely ZERO disappointments. The amps are wonderful, the packaging could have survived being catapulted to me, and I feel like I cheated the man after considering how little I paid for this type of happiness.

Cheers to  you Maynard and Thank you.  Now I continue to listen to Aja'......

Little Smooties 1.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, deep3shot said:

Steely Dan's Aja'  is playing on Maynard's Little Smoothies in my shop as I write this post.  His reputation is beyond reproach so I needn't gush like a fanboy.  For what it is worth the transaction was painless and quick with absolutely ZERO disappointments. The amps are wonderful, the packaging could have survived being catapulted to me, and I feel like I cheated the man after considering how little I paid for this type of happiness.

Nice congrats can you post some photo's love to see it. 

46 minutes ago, deep3shot said:

Little Smooties 1.JPG

And I'll bet you're playing them through those really nice LSI's you acquired not too long ago.....I'm sure they sound great!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

And I'll bet you're playing them through those really nice LSI's you acquired not too long ago.....I'm sure they sound great!

Jimjimbo - Abso-Fn-lutely playing them on those LSI's  I wish I had two more.  

I hear you, they are special… i'll never give mine up, I have had lots of people tell me that of all of the speakers I own, that they sound the best.... though I must admit, that when I play them I also have them paired with a set of heresy industrials through a Marantz 1250 integrated amp.....it doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 1