Your first Klipsch experience?

Harleywood

Purchased Klipsch KG2 speakers (1985) in a Navy Exchange store in Sigonella, Sicily.  They were about $250 for the pair (PX and Exchange stores had great pricing for military) and I didn't use them until I returned from Italy to Virginia.  I had them hooked up to a Carver Receiver.   It was less than a year after having them, I noticed the large rear mounted passive radiators had a separation issue with the adhesive on the cone.   I telephoned Klipsch, explaining the problem and as I recall, they sent brand new passive radiators by mail, asking that I send back the faulty ones since there were no wires involved, just a few screws and it was done.   I was very impressed the company would do that.   In the decades I have used these speakers, the problem never reoccured.   I've loved these speakers for many years.  

Edited by Carver
  • Like 1

My first (and only) experience with Klipsch is with the original ProMedia 2.1 system.

Back in the early to mid 2000s, a friend of mine asked me to help him with his ProMedia 2.1 system because one of his satellite speakers stopped working. Even with just 1 satellite working, I was very impressed by the sound. I immediately wished I had the ProMedia 2.1 system!

After I helped him fix it, I was even more impressed by the sound. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but at the same time I wasn't surprised because of the amount of power he told me the amp has (I didn't really know anything else about speakers except that wood subwoofer cabinets are better than plastic lol). I was a little sad at this point because I had recently purchased the Altec Lansing VS4121 and I loved it, so I didn't really see myself replacing it anytime soon. I also didn't have enough money for the ProMedia 2.1 system! I went home that day kinda bummed that it would probably be several years before I'd get my own ProMedia 2.1 system.

For the next several years, I would often think about the sound I heard that day and I'd always compare it to the sound I was getting with my Altec Lansing VS4121. Even though I absolutely loved the sound I was getting, I would still long for the sound of the ProMedia 2.1. The sound I heard that day really stuck with me!

Finally 2 years ago I decided to buy one. I placed my order for a brand new one and in my excitement I immediately came to this forum and began reading posts. I quickly learned that the new ProMedia 2.1 systems are inferior to the originals. Uh-oh! I kept reading and learned how to identify the original and so I went looking for one on eBay. I was lucky enough to find one in barely-used mint condition! I placed my order for that one and then I immediately cancelled my order for the new one and I was all set and VERY happy about what was coming.

When it arrived, I just couldn't stop smiling. I finally had that sound that I have been longing for all these years! Woo-hoo!! It was just as impressive as I remember. I felt kinda bad for my beloved Altec Lansing VS4121 system because there's still nothing wrong with it, but the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is much better! I'm keeping the VS4121 as my backup just in case though.

I was also lucky enough to replace my speaker wires with the Monster speaker cables, and that made a huge audible and tangible difference. The tangible difference is, I had to make big adjustments to my Graphic Equalizer and other similar tone adjustments because I didn't need anywhere near the same amount of tone compensation. So, I knew it wasn't just The Placebo Effect.

To this day, this is still my only experience with Klipsch, but I'm definitely going to be looking at Klipsch first the next time I need to buy any kind of speakers!

• Like 2

On January 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Blvdre said:

I had an old Denon 80W integrated amp, put on some music, and blasted them as loud as we could stand. It lasted about 10 seconds, which was the time it took our upstairs neighbor to fly down the stairs and scream at the top of her lungs, "TURN IT DOWN!". We pissed ourselves laughing. "WHAT D'YOU SAY?"

Similar story. My roommate and I put on Elton John Funeral for a Friend which is about 8 minutes long. Cranked up the volume and when the song ended there was a loud rap at our front door. It was the complex security guard. Said he'd been beating on our door for the past five minutes and we needed to turn the music Off, not down, OFF. We shut the door and laughed for a long long time. We had to move when our lease was up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My first Klipsch experience was in 2008 when I decided to get a 5-channels surround on Klipsch Ref. Series. I'm more to music than movies. 

Few years ago, I went for 2-channels 1981' Cornwall. Upgraded the crossover, and have it hooked on tubes amp/pre-amp.I love the sound of my Cornwall.

Cheers,

Jimmy

On 2/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, Harleywood said:

Similar story. My roommate and I put on Elton John Funeral for a Friend which is about 8 minutes long. Cranked up the volume and when the song ended there was a loud rap at our front door. It was the complex security guard. Said he'd been beating on our door for the past five minutes and we needed to turn the music Off, not down, OFF. We shut the door and laughed for a long long time. We had to move when our lease was up. 

That's awesome, I listen to Funeral for a Friend at least once a week, such a great song. Madman Across the Water is amazing on my La Scala's...

Mine was in 1985 while in the military. We all had big Pioneer and Kenwood speakers, which we thought were great. We were in Korea, and we went to a friends Quonset Hut to hear this new laserdisc of Twisted Sister. The live concert in the aircraft hanger, from San Bernardino. He had Heresy's, and we couldn't believe the sound coming from those small speakers. It was like we in the front row of the concert.

After hearing many commercial speakers in many night clubs, JBL, Altec Lansing, ect. We were in the Boston club, in Seoul. They had a pair of K-horns, and I thought that was the best speakers I had heard. I always said, one day, one day, I will have a pair... 

My wife hooked me on klipsch. If you haven't met her you need to this year at the pilgrimage. She grew up in Hope mid 70's to early 80's. I had a Polk surround system at the time. We went to Dean's (staygroovybaby) to hear some belle's and I was blown away by the clear, crisp powerful sound, but I couldn't afford them. I vowed I would have a pair is these. A few months later I saw he had a pair of lascala's so I called him. I knew very little about klipsch, but he said if you liked the way the Belle's sounded the lascala is the same as far as sound goes. He played money for nothing for me and that did it, I had to have them. Paid him most of what he wanted for them and paid the rest the next week. Thanks for trusting me Dean. Since I have bought an rc7, 2 sub 12's and a pair of cf1's. Love them all! 

My first experience was a nightmare.  I was running two sets of bose 901's with two bose 1801 amplifiers and they had lost there zeal for me. I started researching for a better sounding speaker. Thats when I heard about Klipsch. I talked to several friends about them and though they had never owned any, they had heard them and highly recomended getting a pair. They all said  go with a pair of the top four, La Scalas, Belles, Cornwalls, Or Khorns.   I began researching them and the hunt was on. I soon found out I could not afford a new pair, so a good used pair was what I started looking for.  I hunted for almost a year and finally found a pair. They happened to be Khorns.  I had to make a six hour drive to get them. The seller told me to bring my own cd's to listen to. I got there and he put on one of my cd's and it was like an out of body experience. A sound I never knew existed. We loaded them on my truck I drove home unloaded them , hooked them up and both woofers were locked up. The only thing I can figure is the ride home the woofers had too much movement in them and the voice coils locked up. I pulled the woffers out and tight as a drum no movement at all. I had to wait four month to save up the money to have them repaired. Every day for 4 months I walked by them remembering the sound I had heard, and i was sick to my stomach. Alas time passed and I got them back on there feet. Happy every since.  Since that time I have owned many sets of klipsch and been happy with most of them. I have since tried many other brands over the years to see if the hype about them was all that people were saying. Some sounded great but  nothing compared to Klipsch.  My hunt is over. 

mid 90s, i was a young teen. guy i knew had a pair of klipsch horns on a dynaco solid state amp. LOUD ! i remember loud ! 

next experience that i really liked was the RF7, i'm not sure if it was the amp or the room but i swear they were {are} smoother sounding. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Synergyman said:

Hi !  New guy from Argentina here. Been using my Synergy F2s with a vintage Pioneer receiver for the last ten years and loving them so much I don't want to upgrade ever (unless I win the lottery and can afford RF-7s or better yet Palladium P-39Fs.

Bienvenido.

I bought a pair of RF10 during x-mas for my exercise room.  Surprisingly good sound with all type of music, am not a rocker...  Also use for home theater with a polk audio sub.   Never had Klipsch before although about 40 years ago, was impressed by La Scala at a store....  

Surprising result for my investment, more than satisfied, now for my main room looking at KF-28 for theater use...  What I am saying is these speakers are exxxelllenteee!

Edited by gychang