Rp-250c vs Rp-450c

xzeon

Hi...I'm sure this is a beat up question  but I'm wondering how much better the 450c sounds...has anyone compared? 

What are the benefits  of the 450 vs the 250 as far as sound goes 

I just got my RP28f set  with r12sw and the rp250c. 

Basically  I'm trying to talk myself out of sending the 250 back and getting the 450...I do like the 250..and don't see how the sound could get better....but the what if/should I have.... is in the back of my mind 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

I understand the 450c is actually a 2.5-way, meaning the outermost drivers are crossed at a different frequency. I read somewhere a little while ago that this is to prevent some sort of audible artifact you'd get from sitting off-center. 

It keeps the outer woofers from cancelling each other out on higher frequency, it's called lobing, the effect of which is comb filtering.  The higher you go and the further the center of the drivers are spread apart, the worse this is.  The four woofer'ed centers only have the outer woofers playing midbass / low midrange because of this.  Realistically speaking it's still going to happen to some extent but obviously you want to minimize it.  You can play around with it here I believe:

http://www.mh-audio.nl/calcmaxfreq.asp

• 6 months later...

Had both. I could definitely tell a difference. The 450 is a "fuller" sound. Don't get me wrong, the 250 sounds good, until you hear the 450.

i know I read somewhere that a pair of the speakers handles different frequencies than the other two.

From AVS Forum: Its a 2.5-way design with a Tractrix tweeter and four 5.25" aluminum woofers. Crossover points are set at 500 Hz and 1500 Hz. Frequency response is spec'd from 58 Hz to 25 kHz (+/-3 dB) with a rated sensitivity of 97 dB/W/m. Each speaker can handle up to 150W of continuous power (600W peak) with 8 ohms nominal impedance.

Plus the 450 holds my tv.