Any News Hounds?

Wolfbane

Been home a lot of the day lately which is new to me and trying to find some daytime US based cable news to listen to that doesn't provide Mc News or really suck. 

I do tend to listen to either the radio and TV news while doing something productive. BBC America is already on the list.

Fox News.  They were BY FAR the most accurate in the recent election, and I listened to them all.

Their news IS unbiased, as they typically play extended clips of the pres, etc actually saying what they are saying without a filter.  I don't see "fake news" on Fox like I do on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC.

I differentiate the news from COMMENTARY.  It is clear the commentators are more conservative (ie Hannity) , but they self-identify as such, ie, they don't attempt to pretend commentary is news when it's not.

I also find that if Fox News presents a PRO, then also have a person presenting CON.  Both sides of an issue are usually presented.

They report, you decide.  B)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you find one that doesn't lean right OR left let me know.  It's hard to find news that's not biased or full of opinion pieces.

I agree, my late father was a newspaper man for 48 years he'd be appalled at what is being called news on the television today.

TV News that reports actual news is what I want. So far, other than the CBS Evening News and BBC News, ABC's Evening News seems okay. NBC and CNN repeat the same non-newsworthy crap over and over again all day.

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Fox News.  They were BY FAR the most accurate in the recent election, and I listened to them all.

Their news IS unbiased, as they typically play extended clips of the pres, etc actually saying what they are saying without a filter.  I don't see "fake news" on Fox like I do on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC.

I differentiate the news from COMMENTARY.  It is clear the commentators are more conservative (ie Hannity) , but they self-identify as such, ie, they don't attempt to pretend commentary is news when it's not.

I also find that if Fox News presents a PRO, then also have a person presenting CON.  Both sides of an issue are usually presented.

I try to watch Chris Wallace's Sunday show every week as he seemed pretty even handed in the POTUS Debate he moderated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Based on your beliefs, you are correct.

Based on my beliefs, FOX news is very biased.

Edit: "news"

• Like 2

Just now, mungkiman said:

Based on my beliefs, FOX is very biased.

Not FOX, but Fox NEWS.

I rotate watching the different cable networks, Fox News is by far the most fair.  If there is the popular these days "fake news" I can go to Fox News and see if they confirm it.  I haven't seen yet where they have confirmed the fake stuff.

I would also tell you, they have a LOT of beautiful women, and they are as intelligent and bright as they can be.  I admire that combination and find it easy to listen to.

I can't take MSNBC.  They are just vile, all the time, they openly do name calling to any republican or anyone on the right, they openly laugh at them, and they are wrong about the news they report.

2 hours ago, mungkiman said:

I read that very carefully.  There are  LOT of technical flaws in the research, not the least of which is they use a self-report questionnaire.  Those results are always suspect.  I also question whether the questionnaire has face validity.  They listed the Rush Limbaugh show as "news source."  It's a 3-hour entertainment radio show, not news and not certainly not a 24-hour cable news outlet.  And no control group?  C'mon, man...:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, mungkiman said:

Edited my post. Thanks. Fox is "fair" if it aligns with your beliefs.

It does align with my belief that Fox News crushes both  CNN and MSNBC, combined.  My "beliefs" are based on the facts in the the link, below.

The numbers are the numbers.  I explained why I thought they were fair, more original footage of the subjects (ie president talking without interruption) and a representative of both sides when discussing political issues.  Yes, that fits my biased lens of "fair."

For the second time this year, Fox News outranked every other cable network in primetime total viewers, including TNT, USA, HGTV and TBS. By comparison, MSNBC came in at #22 and CNN came in at #30 in primetime total viewers. In addition, Fox was the only network that saw year-to-year gains in the primetime demo, up an impressive 64% compared to last August.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/august-2015-ratings-fox-news-1-in-all-primetime-cable-msnbc-last-in-demo/

Follow the link.  Fox has more viewers than CNN and MSNBC, combined.  The top Fox News show Bill O'Reilly averaged 3 MILLION viewers.  The top MSNBC show Rachael Maddow has 172,000 viewers and didn't break into the top 20 shows overall.  CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 stomped all over MSNBC with 689K.

In my opinion.  B)

oops, sorry -- i thought the thread’s title was “Any BOOZE Hounds?”  I quit drinking several years ago; but, was going to nominate a few forum members.

As for the news, I gave it up before i gave up drinking.  I was watching a network evening news and realized that for 20 minutes they’d been reporting about murders and all sorts of horrible crimes.  I know bad stuff is happening; but, i don’t need to hear about every instance. So that was the day that I stopped watching the news.  Living in Southern California, I don’t need to hear the weather report either ... it’s going to be sunny and warm again, i get it.

Good luck in your search though -- news is business and so ... enters the bias.

I will scan the news websites to kill time; but, i will look at the same story on several sites. I figure the things that each says that match--the probability of that being true is increased. Plus it’s revealing of the bias when you see which networks either add to a story or fail to mention parts of it. 

In my experience, every news report about which I knew  the facts was inaccurate to some degree.  Not necessarily malicious or slanted, but incorrect in the details.  As a prosecutor, I had many opportunities to know details of newsworthy events that were known to the news media, but would universally be reported with errors.  I remind myself of that reality constantly when confronted with "news."

Pure "news" is who, what, when, where.  All "news" outlets, with the possible exception of The Christian Science Monitor, which was mentioned by tromprof above, reflect their own philosophy in how they select, who, what, when, where.  IMO, that is OK.  It is naive to think that all news will be fair and accurate.

A free press is essential in a democracy.  Right wing news sources keep left wingers in line, and the reverse.  It is up to an informed populace to gather information, consider the sources and make educated decisions.

The problem with inaccuracies in news reports has only worsened as the speed that news travels on the Internt has rendered print media all but irrelevant.  Traditional newspapers can no longer support foreign bureaus to gather and report back news from foreign outposts.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a lapsed Christian Scientist, and have been for more than 50 years.  As such, I was exposed to The Monitor on a daily basis.  My parents had a subscription mailed to me in college.  My non CS friends read the paper more than I did. The business model for that sort of print media is now essentially unworkable.  

Regarding the Monitor, it too reflects the philosophy of its editors and owners, but does so with a transparency and objectivity absent in other newspapers.  Again, bias in newspapers is not new, neither is it necessarily evil. The news media, whether biased or not, is essential to a free democracy.  Don't take any reporting as the absolute truth, investigate and decide for yourself.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If you find one that doesn't lean right OR left let me know.  It's hard to find news that's not biased or full of opinion pieces.

The best that I've found is Memeorandum Colors: https://www.wired.com/2012/04/opinion-baio-site-bias/

I converted the .js file referenced in the article into an Excel file many years ago so that I could see the "linking bias" as a bar chart.  I'd look at the linked news sources starting at about row 600 and on through about row 1200 to find the most neutral "linked biased" news web sites from the total list of all "blog" sites: Memeorandum Colors site ratings.xlsx

Chris

11 hours ago, wvu80 said:

It does align with my belief that Fox News crushes both  CNN and MSNBC, combined.

By your logic, BOSE makes the best speakers, budweiser is the best beer, Big Macs are the greatest burgers, Walmart exemplifies the best of commerce, etc.

Fox has the retired silver hair demographic locked up.  They watch a lot of TV.