rear center

steven32

I have recently purchased a lot of ht stuff for my home. I have rf5 mains, rc3II center, rs3II rear surrounds, rsw12 sub, the store where I buy all of my stuff has a set of sb1's on sale. Wondering what you think about using them for a rear center? I have also bought the rxv1 so far LOVE it!

steven, some use one or two wdst type speaks like the rs-3 also for rear surround, but w/ that relatively small gap, i'd use rc-3. you may also want to get some rc-3 for front effects (assume you have that w/ the yammy).

timbre match would be my 1st quest w/ speaks. the sb won't give you that. but are you saying you already got or tried the sb. if so & it sounds ok to you & meets a budget, that's what really matters. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa12: if i was to use the sb-I's in a pair, would i wire them in a series or, parallel? which would be better OHM wise for the rxv-I? money isn't the problem, they were on sale and thought they would be just fine. also, what do you think of by wiring the front stage and thinking about using z-2 wire?

I think Boa's right about timber matching. Stick with the reference series. You don't get quite as much sound from the rears and this can fool you into thinking you can get by. But after you have owned the system for a while and are familiar with their subtleties it will become apparent.

Then comes the upgrade bug cwm4.gif

Speaker wire opens another can of worms. I use Monster MXIS and am very pleased. Felt I got some bass extention & bigger soundstage, just my ears though!

well boa igot the rc3IIfor my rear cen. thank you sounds greeeet. only prob is only maybe 1 foot behind and in that corner where the back wall and celling meet its pointing down but still seems to be going over head when sitting.stand up big diff. dont have much no other place to put it. but sounds great thanks

steven, the ideal is to put 1 rear center (6th channel) directly behind the listening position. but i know about space constraints myself. Frown.gif

sorry, i took it your receiver was a 9.1 set-up. don't know a lot on it specifically. but see its "8.1 channels" w/ 2 front effects. next upgrade might be to get 2 rc-3 for front effects.

i'd work on getting the rear directly behind somehow, then front effects. but like me, you may need a house upgrade for the space. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-15-2002 at 12:37 PM

boa12: well i tried talking my wife into a new and bigger house for my HT, but that didn't get too far! the rxvI is 6.1 with 2 front effects. so i quess that would be considered 8.1? the front effects would have to be very small, any suggestions? the rear center what do you think about delaying a little and turning up the rear center? this is my first real HT system, so i am jsut learning as i go. while driving my wife nuts! so any more help or suggestions would be a great help.

steven, for fe use rc-3 or maybe the rb-3 if they're smaller & you need that, but the rc-3 are the ideal.

yeah i use 8.1 for speakers. as far as discrete channels, the only way to get 6.1 discrete channels (which is really 7 channels w/ the LFE channel being .1

the bandwidth - low frequency effects), is a dvd that has dts 6.1 discrete format & that your yammy has that decoder in its processor.

so you have the 1 rear center rc-3 off to the rear side corner? you have a window directly behind the listening spot? any room above the window to mount it up there & point it down?

you can play w/ the delay to see what sounds best. i set my surround & rear center a lil closer than they actually are to extend the rear soundstage.

as for levels, best way to do that is get a sound meter

from like radio shack. the analog meter is about $40 there. use that w/ your receiver speaker level settings/test tones or those from a test disc to calibrate. you don't want the rear center level to distract too much.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boe12 ya there is room above window and thats where i put the rc311. but it is about 3 feet higher than rear surr.pointing down at prob. 45degree angle. as far as f.affects its only 35watts per i thought big speaker litte power do they make a big diffrence. and where can i put them the yamahas man. said 3feet above and 3feet outside.?? if ican move them to diff.places imay be able to use rs311. my wifes going crazy she said when do iget 5grand to spend. i said not now we can't afford it cwm29.gifcwm30.gif

steven, all surround speaks should be angled so the horns pointing at your head or up to 2 ft above. whatever sounds best overall. then set the delays to actual distance or try like i did setting the distance closer than they actually are to widen/lengthen the side/rear soundstage.

horned on here one yammy owner here w/ fe & i agree w/ him that directs should be used there, like the rc-3 or rb-3. definitely not the rs-3. he uses C-7 which are the center designed for his klf-30, for FE speaks. & those are bigger than the rc-3.

good luck. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

well boa12 im not to hip on cutting holes in ceiling or wall either. last night got spL meter and test disk.everything set almost perfect as far as spL.weird settings r surr.+8.5 L surr.+6 and r center+2.5 matches front L&R mains.with yamme vol.at-40 all of them almost perfect at 74db on spL meter what a big diff.had all rear at +8 like i said new at this. I think im going to leave alone. well atleast for next week or two. cant leave nothing alone.