Best banana plugs/speaker wire and sub cable?

Hydroman

9 hours ago, babadono said:

No. I am correct. P = E^2/R. Not P = ER

He is correct as I did screw it up on a post on page 2 of this thread when I had been up over 30 hours that I subsequently corrected in my other posts before he even posted!

He very well may not have read the entire thread, but he is correct in that I did post false information on page 2!

I have subsequently corrected the post on page 2 so as to not provide false information to anyone in the future, but a copy of the wrong information may be seen 2 posts below in Minermarks post.

Roger

6 hours ago, UH1dg337 said:

Ohm's Law is: E = IR

Watt's Law is: P = IE

Interesting,  Watts law does NOT have a Wiki entry

Sorry my bad. I was taught the part about Watt and swallowed it to get it right on tests. Remember this was way before the internet, I'm an old geezer.  Apparently P = IE is a combo of Joules Law and Ohm's Law:

Resistive circuits

In the case of resistive (Ohmic, or linear) loads, Joule's law can be combined with Ohm's law (V = I·R) to produce alternative expressions for the amount of power that is dissipated:

P=IV=I^{2}R={\frac {V^{2}}{R}},

where R is the electrical resistance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'd like to revisit the thread and focus on specific brands and types of banana plugs.  I think what I want is something with a non-metalic case and I think I like the locking tip plugs.  If you know of any promotions that might be helpful. 

I am looking to replace all the junk Monoprice screw top banana plugs, so I am looking for at least 40 pieces for a couple of AVR's.  I am leaning towards the Mediabridge plugs due to the plastic casing and the Amazon 4.9 out of 5-star rating.  I will using mostly Monoprice 12 awg and some 14 awg speaker wire.

I'd like your opinions or preferences of the following, in no particular order.  If you have another suggestion, I'd like to hear that too.  Price is not the primary driving force.

1.  GLS locking plugs.  I really like these and they were mentioned earlier in the thread.  It is the locking feature I like.  I always read the Amazon negative reviews first and the quality control comments on these bothered me.  These rated 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Locking-Generation-Connector/dp/B000O8AHLA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512535036&sr=1-1&keywords=gls+audio+banana+plugs

51DMP0X7LHL.jpg

2.  Mediabridge - I like the way the wire locks into the plug.  This is the 24 pack I linked to in which the Amazon rating is 4.9 for 500 reviews.

71r5z6bGJ2L._SL1500_.jpg

3.  Sewell deadbolt plugs.  Another top rated model. A rating of 4.8 from 3,400 reviews.

61kOibm+VHL._SL1000_.jpg

22 hours ago, rebuy said:

I just use cheap BP from PartsExpress--they have one screw and a colored jacket.

Are you talking about the open screw type?  I have used those as well and I like them.  They accommodate very large wire with no problem.  I don't like my current Monoprice plugs for a couple of reasons, one of which is they advertise they can handle 12 awg wire when in fact they won't handle their own very nice 12 awg wire.  The wire is so thick it won't fit into the plug!

21 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

The spring in the Deltron are the tightest in the industry. No locking feature necessary as it takes almost 10 lbs of force just to move them. It's the first thing you notice when you go to plug everything in.....they be very tight.

I have not heard of Deltron before.

Can you suggest a model, and a vendor?

+++

@JMONI've had a few sets of the GLS locking plugs for about four years or so.  I like them.  I am going to need a few more and will likely get the same.  Note that they are 100% metallic.

The metal casing is not necessarily a deal breaker.  It's just I've had some loose connections in the past which allowed the metal casings to touch so I had to put an insulator between them.  That's not common but it did happen once to me.