Best banana plugs/speaker wire and sub cable?

Hydroman

I have the Sewell Deadbolts and really like them . Haven't had the others mentioned so I can't comment as to which are better .

Full disclosure , this is coming from a guy who bought some Sewell quick connects ,spring loaded so you squeeze them and insert the wire, when you push them into the speaker it releases the wire :angry2:  the only thing dumber than the design is the idiot that buys them :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Are you talking about the open screw type?  I have used those as well and I like them.  They accommodate very large wire with no problem.  I don't like my current Monoprice plugs for a couple of reasons, one of which is they advertise they can handle 12 awg wire when in fact they won't handle their own very nice 12 awg wire.  The wire is so thick it won't fit into the plug!

I use these --I do not know what the ones you're looking at cost but these are reasonable.

They just have to be stable in holding the wire and terminal contact.

Function over looks for me--do fancier work better for the average guy ?

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-gold-plated-screw-type-banana-plugs-18-12-awg-16-pcs--091-352

8 hours ago, rebuy said:

No, you're right. But this is my hobby, and I like nice stuff.  B)

+++

This is the single screw type I thought you had.  These do the best with really large wire.  I tin the tips of the wire and bend them to keep them from slipping.  I like this type as well.

94372.jpg

9 hours ago, Rich_Guy said:

My favorites are still the GLS locking bananas, work good and look great.

51DMP0X7LHL.jpg

image.jpg

I have also used GLS  Safe-Connect style, I liked these but prefer the locking style.

BR.jpg

41iZDqtGoBL.jpg

I also use the GLS locking banana plugs.  Very stout.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rich_Guy said:

My favorites are still the GLS locking bananas, work good and look great.

11 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I also use the GLS locking banana plugs.  Very stout.

I'm going to go with the GLS locking banana plugs. 

I don't mean to obsess about this but I like to do my research and what you guys say matters.  I still have some concerns after reading the Amazon one-star review comments, but nothing is perfect and if I wait for perfect I'll never get anything ordered.  The solid locking mechanism is what I'm after.

I'll need the ten-pack which will cover L/C/R, 4-pair per speaker bi-amp so that's 8, and another 2 pair pair bi-wire for the center is ten.

I know a lot of you guys don't believe in either passive bi-amp or bi-wire but my Marantz 6011 AVR supports bi-amping and I've read enough to now believe there is some technical advantage, however slight, to doing both.  My subjective impressions is that when both bi-wiring and b-amping are used there is some mid-range clarity improvement, but it's a cumulative effect, not one thing or the other.  It's subtle but I believe it's there.

21 hours ago, rebuy said:

Keep in mind, part of the function is staying connected. There are some banana plugs that will fit loose and this is where the locking plugs can really help.  Depending on the situation, a loose speaker cable can cause $$$ in damages.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:20 PM, Rich_Guy said:

Here is a new 15% off promo code for GLS Audio if anyone wants some bananas.

promo code   15PC1217

ends Wednesday 12-20-2017

I'll do that.  I just bought a dozen banana's on Ebay but I want some more for the living room setup.

I found six pairs of Mediabridge deadbolts on Ebay for half the usual price, brand new.  I paid $12 shipped, usual price is $25. 

A guy had taken them out of the package so they were sent to me in a plastic zip-lock bag in a small bubble wrap envelope.  They install easily, lock solidly and worked with my 12 awg Monoprice wire which has a very thick plastic sheath.  That wire is so large they won't fit the Monoprice banana plugs.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:20 PM, Rich_Guy said:

Here is a new 15% off promo code for GLS Audio if anyone wants some bananas.  promo code   15PC1217  ends Wednesday 12-20-2017

The cost on the GLS site is $50 for the 20 pack.  With the 15% discount of $7.50 brings the price down to $42.50. 

They are also available from Amazon for $36.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O8AHLA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=AD6O342M484G6&psc=1

Still, I appreciate the heads up on the discount.  I'm always looking for a deal.

Definitely a better deal going through Amazon right now, in the past when I have compared it was the same, either way they come from the same place GLS Audio they are local to me maybe 15 minutes from where I live here in Orange county California.

With Amazon Prime (which I have) the shipping is free, without Amazon Prime there might be a shipping charge through Amazon I am not sure but buying them direct from GLS Audio I know shipping is free.

Anyway good catch, too bad the promo code can't be used with Amazon.

• 5 months later...