Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

The K-69 is a PAudio BMD750, which PAudio has replaced with a version II. Does anyone know if Klipsch is using the newer one (which is supposed to be smoother)? I'm sure Roy would know, or the two dealers I am aware of.

Bruce

13 minutes ago, RSVRMAN said:

Also the model numbers for 2 vs 3 way

Just so you know, there is no data from Roy or Klipsch on the three way version.  You are on your own.  NO passive available and no provided settings for a speaker processor.

I think that a FAQ should first and foremost address common questions.  Some questions raised here aren't really common questions.  Perhaps this is better handled via the old forum area in order to get a better end product...?

Chris

1 hour ago, RSVRMAN said:

Also the model numbers for 2 vs 3 way?

I think the 2 way has its own SKU number however, I don't know that to be a fact.

I think Mark1101 prefers the 3-way and he can list a number of reasons to validate his logic.

One reason (and I don't intend to speak for him) won't be for volume.  I can assure you that the 2-way as delivered by the factory will be total overkill for you as far as pure volume ability is concerned.  Generally, you add more drivers to get higher output so the 3-way would be double over-kill (since the 2-way is overkill)

I think Mark's comment was something about he heard better lower midrange with the 3-way verses 2-way.

I don't recall and again, don't want to put words into his mouth.

If you go blind and get the 3-way then keep in mind that you will then have all the ingredients and can give the 2-way a try as well as the 3-way.

Prior to my Jubilee's, I had Khorns with some of ALK's extreme slope crossovers.  I had a spot in my house, 30 feet from them where their sound became one and they sounded noticably better and more coherent.  When I got the Jubilee's, I went to this same spot, wondering how much better they'd sound....and it never happened.

Huh?

Turns out, because they are 2-way, you lose a crossover point.  They are aligned internally in the Dx38 so the upshot is, their sound came together about 10' away from the speaker unlike the Khorn.

Worded differently, the Khorn sounded better OUT of the room while the Jubilee will sound better while still being in the room with it.  (I'm referring to their coherence)

1 hour ago, Cantilope said:

I love my Jubes.  I have never in my life heard a better speaker, and neither has anyone I have had over in the last year.  I run 2-way with TADs and the TADs are head and shoulders above the K69, and legs and feet.

http://cinequip.com/

Spencer was my guy and a pleasure to work with.

Left a message on the site for Spencer to contact.

1 hour ago, jwc said:

Just so you know, there is no data from Roy or Klipsch on the three way version.  You are on your own.  NO passive available and no provided settings for a speaker processor.

Yes, sorry I should have clarified. I had seen earlier that when you want to order that there are different part numbers for the 2 way vs 3 ways. 

41 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I think the 2 way has its own SKU number however, I don't know that to be a fact.

I think Mark1101 prefers the 3-way and he can list a number of reasons to validate his logic.

One reason (and I don't intend to speak for him) won't be for volume.  I can assure you that the 2-way as delivered by the factory will be total overkill for you as far as pure volume ability is concerned.  Generally, you add more drivers to get higher output so the 3-way would be double over-kill (since the 2-way is overkill)

I think Mark's comment was something about he heard better lower midrange with the 3-way verses 2-way.

I don't recall and again, don't want to put words into his mouth.

If you go blind and get the 3-way then keep in mind that you will then have all the ingredients and can give the 2-way a try as well as the 3-way.

Prior to my Jubilee's, I had Khorns with some of ALK's extreme slope crossovers.  I had a spot in my house, 30 feet from them where their sound became one and they sounded noticably better and more coherent.  When I got the Jubilee's, I went to this same spot, wondering how much better they'd sound....and it never happened.

Huh?

Turns out, because they are 2-way, you lose a crossover point.  They are aligned internally in the Dx38 so the upshot is, their sound came together about 10' away from the speaker unlike the Khorn.

Worded differently, the Khorn sounded better OUT of the room while the Jubilee will sound better while still being in the room with it.  (I'm referring to their coherence)

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. I remember reading earlier on a post about how the sound came together sooner, or rather less distance. Also read that after hearing jubes you quickly sold your khorns! Since I dont have a huge room, however decent size it appears Jubes are fine. I also don't listen at high volumes, but aware these things can push you out of the room if needed. 

Just hope the price didnt truly skyrocket. I'm prepared for to pay a fair amount for these, but if they have gone up by a lot since 2015 post I saw, I'm afraid I would need to back out. 

16 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

2 way vs 3 way

Yes.

Just remember there are tried and true passives and active settings for the 2 way.  Going to three way isn't a easy transition.  The three way version from Klipsch will have the K1133 driver on the K402 horn and the K69 on the K510 "tweeter".  There is absolutely no passive or active speaker processor setting for the 3 way.  You are on your own.

I've had those horns and drivers and it was awesome.  I had to come up with my own settings....%100.  I have moved on to something different for "simplification" for the moment.  My change was not because I was looking for better sound.

• Like 1

I've done the 3-way configuration here.  I'd strongly recommend a pair of K-402-MEHs instead. The vertical separation and height of the 3-way Jubilee becomes an even greater issue with sticking a separate K-510 horn+tweeter on top of the 65 1/2" (166 cm) height of the two-way Jubilee. 

My listening room's ceiling is 9 feet, but it would need to be much higher and my listening position much farther away to accommodate a 3-way Jubilee in the home effectively.

JMTC.

Chris

• Like 1

Coming up with your own active digital crossover settings isn't an issue.  Using REW (freeware) and a calibration microphone (such as a UMIK-1), you can email your measurements back and forth, and by two email iterations,  get them dialed in. 

No problem: been there, done that...next problem.

Try doing that with two sets of passive crossover filters (for a 3-way configuration) that incorporates EQ/balancing...and you can see why that probably would be a very expensive (3x the cost the best digital crossover) and time consuming exercise to get it dialed in (EQ and driver channel gain).  And you would still have a fairly significant time delay mismatch that would be uncorrected between the horns/drivers.

Chris

• Like 1

Chris, Do you know the differences between the B&C75DE and the K69A? When pricing the B&C is more expensive. Ive seen posts that the B&C is better, however nobody has gone into detail as to such. Is it cleaner, clearer, less ringing etc. Is it 5, 10, 15% better, while this may be opinionated just be good to hear.

Thanks

Yes, I do.  The B&C DE75 is a much better sounding driver, IME.  The high end is much smoother sounding with a lot less perceived diaphragm breakup mode ringing at 13.5 kHz (perceived as raspier sounding cymbal crashes), which is the majority of the difference in sound.  It's much closer to a TAD TD4002 in terms of its high end than the K-69-A (P.Audio BM-D750) .  It's a significant difference that you'll likely hear after only a few hours of listening time (i.e., the difference isn't immediately apparent).

The price should be about $100-$150 more per driver, and I believe it's well worth it.  If however, you're over 65 years old and your HF hearing isn't too good, the difference in sound is probably a lot less perceivable.  YMMV.

Chris

• Like 1

No, I haven't. If they've fixed that high end chatter so that you can't hear it as much, then it would be a much closer match to the B&C driver.

The K-69-A was a P.Audio BM-D750 Series I driver, not the Series II--unless Klipsch chose to reuse the same part number for the Series II version--I would be surprised if they did reuse it and not change the part number.

58 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The B&C DE75 is a much better sounding driver, IME.

If going for the two way route....I agree. 

The TADS on 402 for 2 way is a real winner......settings available and many here can share their experience.  

• Like 1

I much prefer the Faital HF-200 to any of the drivers that can be used on the K-402.  Much better raw curve on the K-402 than any other driver including the TAD so much less EQ required.  Makes going to a passive much easier than with any other driver should you want to go to a passive.

Bob Crites.

• Like 3