Jubilee advice needed.

RSVRMAN

I have looked at the other ones, these seem accurate. I will have to get pics in a bit, I am moving, have the bass bins and the compression drivers and the JBL 2405 assy's in 1 house and the eminence parts in the other house. These is no front cover, maybe the guy was planning to install 4 of them 15's in each bass bin like I've seen on soniphase.com.

I am not quite selling it either atleast not just yet, enjoy it before sell it is my policy. To enjoy, I first need to build it.

Thanks.

Srinath.

7 hours ago, Srinath said:

The guy told me they were Jubilees and they look like the ones I've seen in pics of Jubilees.

If they're using 15" drivers, then they might have been inspired by the Jubilee however, they are something different.  (doesn't mean they'll sound good or bad, just that they're different)

My guess is they might have more "slam" on the bottom end at the expense of the higher crossover frequency.

If you're looking to go 3-way then that might not matter at all.

None the less....  to call them "Jubilee's" when they have 15" drivers and the (genuine) Jubilee uses 12" drivers....  well, I'll let you decide.

As long as you can get them to work properly and are happy with them, that's about all that matters, no?

I’m starting to look at Pre-Amps that will be able to fulfill the Home Theater and Music Needs. At this point, I’m fairly confident I would go with an active setup. The issue at hand is that they all have XLR-Balanced connections.

I have many options for preamps, however wondering if I should find something that has balanced connections that will make it easy for the crossover and amp selection. (Planning on choosing amps with XLR/balanced in & out {still undecided what amps though})

I do have a budget, so bearing in mind I’ve been pricing AV processors, which more often than not are more expensive than receivers with amps. An example (may not go with this company, but using it as it can relate) would be to go with emotiva MC-700. ($600) It has everything I will need, DAC, HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. Allows me to grab a tube amp for music in the future and pair nicely with a pair of amps for the Jubilees. Unfortunately, it only has RCA out and no balanced.

Then theres the XMC-1. ($2000) It comes with everything the MC-700 has, but also has balanced out, many more options, but most will not need. Still would plan to use separate amps in pairing. Is balanced necessary or worth the cost? Just using emotiva as an example, may go with a different brand for receiver.

The question would be is balanced needed in this scenario? I do plan on some day adding a center channel, however will probably be many more years down the road.

Thanks,

On 12/24/2016 at 0:15 PM, Chris A said:

Here are the polar frequency response plots for the K-402 with the K-69-A 2" compression driver (i.e., the least expensive driver available stock).  On-axis response is zero degrees, and 10, 20 and 30 degree off-axis are shown relative to the on-axis response:

Relative Freq Response K-402 K-69-A 0-30 degrees.png

Any chance you have one with the B&C for comparison? 

48 minutes ago, RSVRMAN said:

Any chance you have one with the B&C for comparison? 

Not like that one, unfortunately.  That was done using REW and a calibration microphone to record the K-402-MEH mounted on a rotating turntable outside.  I believe that the B&C DE75 would be pretty similar up to the polar angles shown.

51 minutes ago, RSVRMAN said:

The question would be is balanced needed in this scenario?

Using RCA-->Male XLR cables to connect an RCA-connection preamp to a XLR-connection digital crossover certainly works well. 

If you can find an XLR balanced connection preamp, it simply makes the result less susceptible to 60/120 Hz line noise.

Chris

Thanks for clarifying. Is the noise an issue with the Jubilees being very sensitive? If there is feedback, would you be able to correct with gain on the amp then? Thankful the cable runs would be very short (1ft or less).  

For the HT application the issue is with the HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0. I could get a amp from 2015 for 1/4 the price that has XLR. I was thinking of maybe using a switcher that would work for HDMI. With the new copyright issues on HDCP I'm unsure if I could get a quality receiver for under $2000 that has XLR with the current HDMI standards, though I can find a few that have RCA similar to the emotiva. The main question would be do you feel its worth the extra $1300 for balanced outputs? (Sorry I know the above question may not entirely below in 2 channel since it includes HT info, but will hopefully help others).

Thanks again,

1 hour ago, RSVRMAN said:

Is the noise an issue with the Jubilees being very sensitive?

Yes, but not any more than with Khorns, La Scalas, and Belles, etc.  I've found that using balanced (XLR) connections helps a lot with line noise from electrical power (60/120 Hz). I wouldn't be happy without balanced connections--personally.

The main question would be do you feel its worth the extra $1300 for balanced outputs?

If your requirements include HDMI 2.0, then...I'd figure a way to have that extra $1300 in my pocket...to get it right now. 

My requirements don't include that one however.  I'm in it for the sound, first and foremost--something that doesn't become obsolete relatively speaking versus extra pixels.  The prices drop to sub-$1K for a very good AVP when you drop the requirement for 2.0 currently.  I plan to wait 12-18 months to pick up a top-of-the-line refurbished AVP with HDMI 2.0 (and perhaps Atmos--but probably not) and put the older AVP on a portable system that I'm planning...

...but that's just me.

I find that AV electronics depreciate rapidly, which is another way of saying that the profit margins or the pace of obsolescence are pretty inflated for new electronics.  I'll let someone else take that steep depreciation.

But it's your choice, not mine.

Chris

• Like 1

Thank you again Chris ^^

Trying to pin down the remainder of the items I would need/pair. Will hopefully help me finalize the final tally. I was able to acquire a new DC-One over xmas for a great price, if I don’t get jubilees, I can always resell. So active route it is!

For Pre/Pro – I know there’s no such thing as future proof, but in keeping the family happy with being able to play movies in 4k with the new lovely hdcp 2.2 req. I will need a receiver that is up to the task. I’ve had great luck with Yamaha’s in the past, however this time I’m learning towards Marantz. (price being one).  Since feedback or hissing is something that drives me nuts, I’m taking the advice to ensure the receiver has balanced outs. 

So far it’s between the Marantz 7702mkii (or 7703), Yamaha CX-A5100 and lastly, if for a great price the Emotiva XMC-1.

I will only be using the above for 2 channel. I don’t care about many of the features they have since I play my music through a laptop. The DAC will be a big component to this. No other speakers will be added to the receiver.

Since I will also be needing amps, I would love to hear opinions on what to go with and/or match with the prepro. Since many Jube owners have contributed, still looking to everyone for guidance. Unfortunately with the price of everything I will have at max $1000 for a pair of amps. I would love to have MC-2105/MC-250, but for now I will take what I can afford and build later. Maybe I can convince the wife to buy me a tube pre-amp for the birthday.

Edit - Hoping amp can also have balanced connections, with gain controls. 

Thanks again for everyone's contribution.

2 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

I was able to acquire a new DC-One over xmas for a great price, if I don’t get jubilees, I can always resell. So active route it is!

This crossover will be able to be used on other loudspeakers in the future--I think that you'll find that hanging on to that unit will be to your advantage, since it provides you the capability of solving other loudspeaker problems in the future.  That's the real value of digital actives: they're reusable...forever, even more so than amplifiers and pre-amps--which tend to be more use-specific to loudspeaker types used.

2 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

Since I will also be needing amps, I would love to hear opinions on what to go with and/or match with the prepro.

If it were me, I'd be looking around for used Crown D-75As, since they are usually cheap and are very good performers as-is (PWK used the predecessor D-75 amplifier in his setup, and the D-75A is an improved design).  The cost of used units can be as low as $75 for a stereo amplifier, and average $150.  They don't use fans, they have XLR connectors, and are rack mountable.  The only downside to them is mild "thump" when they power down--that some people don't like.  I've used them for several years direct-coupled with my Jubilees and compression drivers/woofers with no issues.

Other than that, I'm currently awaiting receipt of a ICEpower 50ASX2 stereo module (produced by a B&O spinoff company in Denmark) and a  case+cables.  The amplifier module is $100 (new) and the third-party box/cables is $60.  If it performs as well as others on this forum have said that it does, then this will be my new multi-channel "build up to as many channels as required for the setup--into one box" design, since these amplifier modules also contain their own power supplies.  They're 50w/channel in SE (stereo) mode. 

Chris

• Like 1

With the D-75A, is one powerful enough to power one Jubilee or one per driver/woofer? 

I'm going off of the 535-B spec sheet from the klipsch website. I don't plan to peel the paint off the walls with them, but sometimes I do listen a bit on the loud side. Horn says 225 LF 400. If bi amped would the bass bin be gimped or be maxing out the amp?

No channel strapping is required.  Each channel of the D-75A or D-45 are either powerful enough for either a 2" compression driver or a Jubilee bass bin.  I currently use three of the D-75As in my 5.2, one powering the Jub bass bins, one powering the surround Cornwalls, and one biamping the center K-402-MEH.  I haven't tried mono-amping a Jubilee, which would require a passive crossover.  I think it would have more than sufficient current capabilities to do this.

I use a First Watt F3 on the TAD compression drivers (which is a very clean and wide-band amplifier...$$), and two Crown XTi-1000s, one each for powering respective tapped horn subwoofers. 

Chris

• Like 1

Just to clarify, since I'm not experienced. One D-75A  can amp the 2" compresson driver and the bass bin? Sorry I'm not familiar with what channel strapping is.

When are using the jubes that are powered with the D-75A, did you feel the volume was tapped out or could these amps theoretically shake the ceiling using it in the above scenario if you wanted to without maxing it?

Yes, one channel drives the bass bin, and the other channel drives the 2" compression driver.  This is called "vertical bi-amping". 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for clarifying and thank you for the recommendation. Was not aware of these, I may just save a little money!

Have you ever felt these were underpowered driving the bass bin?

I run the d45 on my diy belle bass bin with no issues. If that gives you any idea.
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Yes, one channel drives the bass bin, and the other channel drives the 2" compression driver.  This is called "vertical bi-amping". 

Exactly what I am doing.

44 minutes ago, RSVRMAN said:

No not at all, it's mwm's not jube bins but still 4 15" bass drivers. It's in a room 24' wide and 34' long.

• Like 1

Remember the efficiency of these loudspeakers..it takes very little power in a small room when they're 10-12% efficient instead of 1-2% or perhaps 0.1-0.2% of most other loudspeakers. 

Chris

• Like 1